• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo, Made to Order or RTW?

cjthekid

Reaction score
I'm getting married in October and I've been deliberating over tuxedos. I've seen a bunch of tuxedos and nothing I really love. Well, except for a Brioni that at $6k just seemed a little too crazy for me. I'm not opposed to spending upwards of $4k on something terrific, but $6k seemed egregious.

I'm looking for a classic, single breasted, one button, peak lapel tux, I'm open to midnight blue. I lean towards the slimmer, fashion forward cut, but still want it to be timeless. That being said is it worth it for me to look in to someone like Martin Greenfield to get close to exactly what I want, or should I just keep hitting the pavement to find a brand that meets all of my requirements.

I tried, Gucci (the color seemed off.) Prada (loved the fit and material but they only make two buttons this season.) Ralph Lauren Black Label (terrific cut but felt really cheap, especially the buttons.) Zegna (felt a little too staid.)

Will MTM with Martin Greenfield fit the bill? Or is that trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. I'm a 38/40R 6'1 165...so not exactly difficult to fit.

Thanks for your advice in advance,

CJ

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Up to $4k? Then I wouldn't bother with RTW nor MTM if I were you... go bespoke!

cjthekid

Reaction score
I was under the impression bespoke would be more than that...are there any nyc based bespoke tailors that are in that price range?

johnvw

Reaction score
Maybe :foo: will soon turn his attention here to give you the benefit of his advice.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I don't know about tailors in NYC but yes, you should be able to find many in that price range...

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Up to $4k? Then I wouldn't bother with RTW nor MTM if I were you... go bespoke!

Yeah thats not really helpful. Sure going bespoke would "probably" ensure a better fit and would be more bang for his buck but it might not be what he wanted. You can't walk into anderson sheppard and ask them to make you a Brioni tux.

To the OP: If you like how Prada or Gucci works on you why don't you try their MTO or MTM programs? Im assuming you have the time since you are looking at other MTM programs. That way you can ask them for a 1B/color you wanted.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Yeah thats not really helpful. Sure going bespoke would "probably" ensure a better fit and would be more bang for his buck but it might not be what he wanted. You can't walk into anderson sheppard and ask them to make you a Brioni tux.

+1. Also, I wouldn't suggest making your first bespoke commission something as important as your wedding tux. Generally the first project falls short of expectations. Not something you should worry about on such an occasion.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well if RTW works on him then he probably doesn't need to go bespoke; however, most of the time I hear someone who thinks RTW looks good on him, it really doesn't... If he knows what he's doing and likes how a certain RTW item looks then yeah, I guess it's OK...

Macallan

Reaction score
If you have never had a mtm or bespoke suit, do not get a bespoke dinner suit.

Save the money, go to somone like Greenfield and get a mtm dinner suit. With the saved money, get a bespoke suit after the wedding

Tippo

Reaction score
$ 4K will get you a first class bespoke Tux.
Henry Poole in Saville Row , London charges £2500 (+VAT) if you provide the fabric. I had one a few months ago. In NY the price is similar or a bit less in fact

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$ 4K will get you a first class bespoke Tux.
Henry Poole in Saville Row , London charges £2500 (+VAT) if you provide the fabric. I had one a few months ago. In NY the price is similar or a bit less in fact

Once again, good knowing the current price of SR bespoke, BUT the OP does not know if that particular firms work is what he wants. BTW i always thought the fabric prices were included in the price. For example when i went to steed their price for a 3 piece at the time included almost all the fabrics in their books, its only when you start asking for like cashmere then the prices go up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads