• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tux recommendation for the working man

Limo Driver

Reaction score
Wedding season begins next month and I am in need of a black tux to wear while driving limousines. It would not be uncommon to work up to 3 or 4 weddings per week so a quality garment is as important as an affordable one.

With a budget of $300-$500 (suit only), what would you recommend? This will be paired with a standard black bow tie and shirt with lay flat collar. Not sure about either a black vest or cumberbun though. A side-trip to NYC is possible (I make runs to the airports and stadiums from upstate) if going there would expand my options into some better quality tuxes not sold by the usual box store suspects. If my budget is too low, feel free to offer a more realistic range to consider.

Some criteria to consider:

• black
  • no vent
  • classic look
  • summer weight or lighter weight fabric
  • athletic cut
  • pants (prefer flat) separate (a standard 6" drop will not work for me)
  • no overstuffed shoulders (mine are plenty broad already)

I am of average height with a medium/athletic build, if that factors into selecting certain style elements. Obviously, I want to look sharp and make a great presentation to the bride and groom on their big day. The forum has a number of impressive recommendations and insights into other style elements so I look forward to reading your feedback.

Thanks in advance.

LD

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wedding season begins next month and I am in need of a black tux to wear while driving limousines.  It would not be uncommon to work up to 3 or 4 weddings per week so a quality garment is as important as an affordable one.

With a budget of $300-$500 (suit only), what would you recommend?  This will be paired with a standard black bow tie and shirt with lay flat collar.  Not sure about either a black vest or cumberbun though.  A side-trip to NYC is possible (I make runs to the airports and stadiums from upstate) if going there would expand my options into some better quality tuxes not sold by the usual box store suspects.  If my budget is too low, feel free to offer a more realistic range to consider.

Some criteria to consider:

• black
  • no vent
  • classic look 
  • summer weight or lighter weight fabric
  • athletic cut
  • pants (prefer flat) separate (a standard 6" drop will not work for me)
  • no overstuffed shoulders (mine are plenty broad already)

I am of average height with a medium/athletic build, if that factors into selecting certain style elements. Obviously, I want to look sharp and make a great presentation to the bride and groom on their big day.  The forum has a number of impressive recommendations and insights into other style elements so I look forward to reading your feedback. 

Thanks in advance.

LD 

I give you a lot of props for making the effort. Stick with classic (see blacktieguide.com) and ignore the ridiculous outfits your passengers will often wear.

First, no notch lapel. Stick with peak or shawl.

Second, decide whether you want double breasted or single breasted. This requires some thought. You are going to be sitting a lot. Most people think it is more comfortable to sit in a single breasted tuxedo because you unbutton it to sit. Sitting in a double breasted jacket with no vents is really annoying. On the other hand, a single breasted tuxedo will require you to either get a vest or a cummerbund. From the standpoint of style, these are great. From the standpoint of a working garment, not so much.

So I suggest that you re-think your no vent policy. No vents are very correct but double vents are perfectly acceptable. Sitting in a double breasted jacket with double vents is no problem and a double breasted jacket will allow you to skip the waist covering. Double breasted jackets are a little warmer but it should be OK if you do get a summer fabric.

As for where to get them, there's always Jos Banks. You may not know this but they are always having a "Buy 5 Get 11 Free!" sale of some sort to the point where they are a running joke. But they do sell decent, reasonably-priced tuxedos and, best of all, they sell them as separates.

You can also try your luck on ebay or in the buy and sell forum right here on SF. I normally shy away from used clothes on ebay as you never really know what you're getting. But when someone advertises a tuxedo on ebay and say "Only worn once!", it's probably true.

Good Luck. It amuses me to picture some bride getting a sinking feeling as she watches you step out of your limo and realizes that, in your classic dinner jacket, you look ten times better than her new husband who has been forced to wear a comical clown tuxedo featuring orange piping.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...It would not be uncommon to work up to 3 or 4 weddings per week so a quality garment is as important as an affordable one.

With a budget of $300-$500 (suit only), what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

LD
LOL!

Seriously though, why don't you go into a Jos. A. Bank and take a look at what they have to offer? They probably have tuxedos displayed, and they're reasonably priced. They have decent DON'T PAY FULL PRICE. They almost always have some sort of buy one, get 2 or 3 free promotion going on. You can walk away with a few tuxedos or suits for the price of one. That will help you stay fresh and reduce the amount of wear on your clothes.

I'd probably go with a single breasted, one button, peak lapel tuxedo. Whether you wear a vest or cumberbun won't matter much. if you take off the vest, no one will know that you're not wearing a cumberbun anyway. If you get more than one, you can experiment with a few different looks.

EDIT:

Surprise, surpise. They have a sale going on right now. It's not a get 2-3 free sale, but it's a sale. Whatever you do, make sure that you get the size that fits the best and then take it to a tailor to have it adjusted. I wouldn't recommend using the store tailors. It takes them almost a month to finish your items, and they do a piss-poor job.

Last edited:

WICaniac

Reaction score
Based on your requirements (especially buying as separates), I second the Jos A Bank recommendation. Most of their tuxes are on sale at the moment and well within your price range. Members of this forum are generally disdainful of JAB, but it meets all of your requirements and you will probably be better dressed than 90% of your customers. Alternatively, you can scrounge at Nordstrom Rack (if you have one nearby) and perhaps land a much nicer tux for the same price. Of course you'll buy the whole suit, but as long as it fits in the shoulders a tailor should be able to work with the rest in alterations.

Because you'll be driving, I'd recommend double vents, single breasted, and a cummerbund (or a bib-style vest, but nice black ones that are properly low cut can be hard to find and pricey ($450 for a grosgrain RLPL)). I also recommend grosgrain lapels, as satin is more prone to showing wear from seat belts. Bank has a decent SB peak-lapel tux with grosgrain facings, but it's not available as separates.

Last edited:

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I second, in principle, the DB recommendation, you also may want to look at SuitSupply, who seem to have a very decent SBPL dinner suit.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the JAB signature peak lapel tuxedo fits almost all of your criteria excep that it has no vents.

The suit supply one does have vents, so that may be a better option

Chaos_Cow

Reaction score
I have the suit supply one and it's sick. I'd recommend going in-store as it's one of the only suits they have there where you can buy the pants/jacket separately - I take a 40 normally in their jackets but got a 38 in the tux.

Limo Driver

Reaction score
Some excellent points all around. I can narrow this down to a sb vs db as the db jackets really aren't my particular style. I will give consideration to the sise vents though. Also, the suggestion for the grosgrain lapel makes sense given the seat belt wear.

I will pay a visit to the box stores mentioned. Is there any style preference on a 1 or 2 button jacket? I also understand my use of the word "quality" is relative. The term "value" probably would have been a better choice as my intention was to find any places to buy a better quality tux at a price point below the higher retail prices I'm seeing advertised.

Limo Driver

Reaction score
No luck with JAB. Signature and Stay Cool versions both sold as suits and the 6" drop is a no-go for me. I wasn't a fan of the notch lapel and pocket flaps on the Traveler version either. They did have a pair of their patent leather shoes on sale though so that's a score.

WICaniac

Reaction score
No luck with JAB. Signature and Stay Cool versions both sold as suits and the 6" drop is a no-go for me. I wasn't a fan of the notch lapel and pocket flaps on the Traveler version either. They did have a pair of their patent leather shoes on sale though so that's a score.
You may want to investigate the Suitsupply option. I looked into them based on the recommendations above and found a WSJ review in which two tailors rated Suitsupply's offerings on par with $3000+ Armani suits.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No luck with JAB.  Signature and Stay Cool versions both sold as suits and the 6" drop is a no-go for me.  I wasn't a fan of the notch lapel and pocket flaps on the Traveler version either.  They did have a pair of their patent leather shoes on sale though so that's a score.

First you definitely want a one button jacket. Tuxedos must have a single button. If they have two or three buttons, they are black suits.

Second, JAB does sell separates, you can get jacket and pants for $299. Doesn't look like any are double vented, though.

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_229131

Regarding the grosgrain, yeah, it is nicer, but it's not going to be tougher than satin. You probably want to get a detachable sheepskin cover for your shoulder belt. Apart from helping not to mess up your jacket, you will avoid a lot of random stains.

As for the flapped pockets, don't worry about that. They are designed to that you can tuck in the flaps and the look like jetted pockets. The pockets on almost all RTW tuxedos are done this way

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You may want to investigate the Suitsupply option.  I looked into them based on the recommendations above and found a WSJ review in which two tailors rated Suitsupply's offerings on par with $3000+ Armani suits.

That's not saying much as Armani suits are pretty much junk. Expensive junk, to be sure, but still junk.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads