• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turnbull & Asser tie price increase of 37%

djohns7275

Reaction score
This week Turnbull & Asser increased the price of their ties from £135 to £185 . That's a price increase of some 37% . The James Bond range from £165 to £225 .

I really don't understand how brands can raise prices like this about a year ago Church shoes raised their prices overnight by 40% and since then there sales have fallen off a cliff .

Nobody in their right mind would buy Church shoes with their prices . In regard to Turnbull & Asser whilst there ties are nice they don't justify the increase in prices .

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This week Turnbull & Asser increased the price of their ties from £135 to £185 . That's a price increase of some 37% . The James Bond range from £165 to £225 .

I really don't understand how brands can raise prices like this about a year ago Church shoes raised their prices overnight by 40% and since then there sales have fallen off a cliff .

Nobody in their right mind would buy Church shoes with their prices . In regard to Turnbull & Asser whilst there ties are nice they don't justify the increase in prices .

Yeah, that is an absolutely absurd cost increase. Is it due to the silk import duties being terrible with the EU? Or is it just an over-reaching reaction to inflation--because 40% is a gigantic exaggeration of inflationary pressures right now.

djohns7275

Reaction score
The price increase is ridiculous. I am sure if asked the would make up some nonsense about supply chain issues BLAH BLAH .

Maybe it's because they've taken back the shop next door which was formerly leased by Crockett & Jones and they want to raise funds for the re fit . I for one wont be buying anymore ties from them ,which is a shame because they were the shop I bought my ties from .

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Whether the price makes sense is judged by one simple thing - whether they sell the volume they need. If it sells, good. If not, then bad move. If they couldn't make money before and can't sell units now, then they were stuck between a rock and a hard place.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the price is a barrier to current sale levels, it will be reduced during
in-shop clearances. The ties may also show up on the web at a deep discount.

escotton4

Reaction score

Nobody in their right mind would buy Church shoes with their prices . In regard to Turnbull & Asser whilst their eahties are nice they don't justify the increase in prices .

Yeah and remember, they were a loss making entity in 2018, when prices were lower. If they do the opposite and concentrate on core timeless designs and be readily available (0 retailers carry T and A in Canada), they should do well.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah and remember, they were a loss making entity in 2018, when prices were lower. If they do the opposite and concentrate on core timeless designs and be readily available (0 retailers carry T and A in Canada), they should do well.
Brooks Bros never seemed to have tried that strategy——30+ years ago

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Crazy on so many levels. I started a thread here a few months ago about all the great "buys on ties". Ebay has tons. Certain men's retailers run good sales on well-made nice ties. Seems to me there is much-reduced demand for ties right now. And bargains to be had in many places.

I just bought a few new ties from E&G Cappelli ties in Napoli. They offer "outlet" pricing on certain lovely ties on their website...even 7-fold ties are available for an "outlet" price of around 110 Euros...like half the new price for a T&A tie...

djohns7275

Reaction score
It must be hard to be a UK-bases business these days. Inflation isn’t letting up…
Yes but it's the same for their competitors like Budd , Hilditch & Key , New & Lingwood and Ede & Ravenscroft and none of them have increased their prices by a whopping 37%.

If you look at the Northampton shoe companies like Edward Green and Crockett & Jones they have increased there prices by about 8 to 10 percent this year , Church on the other hand increased their prices by a whopping 40% overnight all in one go . Another crazy management idea . There is a reason why Edward Green and Crockett & Jones are mentioned on this forum far more than Church . It's that nobody in their right mind would by Church shoes at full retail as you can get a Crockett & Jones for far less money or Edward Green shoes which are far superior.

In regard to Turnbull & Asser ties I was a buyer of them at £135 , but at £185 I wont be . There are two reasons , firstly the price increase has made the price out of my comfort zone for purchasing ties and secondly I feel like the ripping me off as a 37% cannot be justified no matter what supply chain issues there are .

TomTom

Reaction score
Yes but it's the same for their competitors like Budd , Hilditch & Key , New & Lingwood and Ede & Ravenscroft and none of them have increased their prices by a whopping 37%.

If you look at the Northampton shoe companies like Edward Green and Crockett & Jones they have increased there prices by about 8 to 10 percent this year , Church on the other hand increased their prices by a whopping 40% overnight all in one go . Another crazy management idea . There is a reason why Edward Green and Crockett & Jones are mentioned on this forum far more than Church . It's that nobody in their right mind would by Church shoes at full retail as you can get a Crockett & Jones for far less money or Edward Green shoes which are far superior.

In regard to Turnbull & Asser ties I was a buyer of them at £135 , but at £185 I wont be . There are two reasons , firstly the price increase has made the price out of my comfort zone for purchasing ties and secondly I feel like the ripping me off as a 37% cannot be justified no matter what supply chain issues there are .G

I completley agree with this sentiment. They di the saem for shirts a couple of years ago. Look I am not an old man and I remember when T&A shirts used to cost 125 and then 145 £. Then all of sudden they have decided that now they will cost £185 and now they have settled on a whopping £225 for a RTW shirt. This in my opinion is madness. But then again H&K are guilty of this also. From shirts that used to cost £125 and £50 in their sales to £185 . Mind that their construction and fabrics are worse now than they were back then. I now but Harvie and Hudson , Ede &R shirts and suits as they have pretty much stayed the same price. I once spoke to one of the very senior people of Ede&R an a diner reception and the topic of price hikes came up. He said they they rise their prices from time to time but never to that extent as they would loose all their loyal customer base. Funny enough he said he used to be a Church man but their prices are now just silly.

ZRH1

Reaction score
T&A is losing a lot of money.

IMG_4365.jpeg

Rodolf Agron

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The recent 37% price hike on Turnbull & Asser ties has sent ripples through the luxury accessories market. While this may be a strategic move for the brand, it poses questions for retailers and competitors about keeping pace in this volatile environment.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At these prices I'd rather shop at E. Marinella. Or pay a little less and get my ties from Drakes.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Yes, the full price of a T & A tie is daunting.

The funny thing about pricing is that some makers can increase each year and not see a loss in revenue. E.g., Hermes and Chanel. However, T & A is not in that class.

One is better-off with a custom tie at Sam Hober, Cappelli, Marinella, or Shimbumi.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads