• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ttile for Manton's book!

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having an abstract would help.

Are we positive the gentleman needs help?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I did post a request for suggestions on another forum, some months ago. As I said at the time, an important aspect of my book is that is a parody of another work. This, for reasons of literary parallel, the only two titles I could imagine choosing are "The Dandy" (the original title) and "Art of Dress." The publisher had some misgivings about the former. So do I, in my more fretful moments. However, the publisher appears to have come around. And, to be honest, I just never warmed up to anything but my original.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I remarked in my comments over on the other forum, I think The Dandy is by far the better title for the reasons I stated then. My primary reason--for the majority of you who are not participants in Dandyism.net--is that at most bookstores the few books on menswear are scattered amidst a sea of books on clothing and grooming for women. At least when a gentleman sees "The Dandy" on the spine of the book, he will know that it is a book about menswear. "The Art of Dress" could well be just another of the many books targeted toward women.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the title meant to be humorous? I wonder if a lot of men wouldn't be put off by a title such as "The Dandy". Feedback, gentlemen?

What do you wish to convey in the title?

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't like the word dandy in general. I think it connotes a person who is more concerned about what he's wearing than what is going on in the world around him. Still, it may be the best available title that maintains the parallelism Manton requires.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Everytime I think of dandy I think of a plump fellow happily whistling away, doning a chalkstripe ganster suit and gaudy suspenders, WSJ in one hand, ice cream cone in the other.

Don't ask.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the title meant to be humorous?  I wonder if a lot of men wouldn't be put off by a title such as "The Dandy". Feedback, gentlemen?

What do you wish to convey in the title?
Perhaps, but the vast majority of them are not likely to be Manton's target audience anyway. Besides, they are not going to be looking at clothing books to begin with.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(whnay. @ June 20 2005,15:22) refined. the art of dressing well.
Better Refined (IMO) "The Art of Dressing" Or for those corny fellah, (Faustian Bargain I mean you) How about "Clothes Make the Man-ton" Ugh...
cry.gif
JJF
hm, i knew there was a reason i hadn't gotten around to reading this thread yet.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW on the topic: i've racked my brain on more than one occasion, and i've come to the conclusion that you're stuck with The Dandy. I feel you made yourself a bit of a Procrustean bed with your 'The Prince' analogy, at least where it concerns the title.

/andrew

gardel

Reaction score
Manton, I've read the posts here and on that "other forum". I've also given this some thought. I think if you stick to either of those titles that you're restricting yourself. It's not only going to cost you money but it's going to cost you the audience you'd have if you picked a different title. Many people will attach negative connotations to "The Dandy" while "Art of Dress" won't communicate that the book is about dressing the man.

I think you'll need to "sell out" a bit for the greater good of a larger audience, which means more influence, and more money in your pocketbook.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know what is the best marketable title, but I like the "The Dandy" -- and as Manton has pointed out previously, (at least this is my understanding): he's trying to invoke the idea of the word in its past historical usage. When Manton goes on NPR and the Morning Show, he can explain it all then. I think Manton should go on Letterman too. Except the old Letterman when he wore a sweater. I would try to get a legion of drunk Trads for his support.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads