• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Truman Boots

whizkidd

Reaction score
Trumans QC sucks balls, OSB actually improved within the last two years, their CM put more controls in their mfg. I don't think Truman has the procedures down yet, it's still a mom and pop garage shop.

Last edited:

Mathfish

Reaction score
Well this is disheartening. I have a pair of Gaucho Moose Hide that were to ship on the 20th. The web site, as we know sucks, said boots ship on 20th not start to ship. No notification no communication. I did not contact them when on the 21st when i did not get shipping notification, just thought i would be surprised on their arrival. Now i feel i need to contact them. I keep thinking i should have bought another set of White's boots. I bought these instead of water buffalo semi dress White's. With having sunk 600 dollars with shipping into these boots i wish i felt more comfortable with the decision to go with Truman's

fabes

Reaction score
Well, I have good Truman news to report. I received my boots earlier this week and they look and feel fantastic. Will post pics up tomorrow and share more details.

I too got a shipping notice then nothing for a few days as the notice was generated before they actually shipped. Wasn’t concerned about that as I’m well aware of dealing with USPS and their notifications or lack there of and all that jazz.

rickmb

Reaction score
Well, looks like I may have to kiss my Java waxed flesh goodbye. Truman also uses USPS for international shipping (anyone shipping anything from the US to other countries: don't ever use USPS). After taking the usual ~7 days to even get it out of the US, USPS hands packages over to local companies at the border, because unlike FedEx, DHL, UPS etc, they're just faking doing international shipping. This also results in stuff spending an eternity stuck in customs, because customs clearance doesn't happen inside their own network. But to make it worse, their local Dutch partner, PostNL, has managed to lose the package. (Good thing the value was registered due to it having been through customs, so they're actually launching an investigation this time.)

**** USPS. Next time want to I order from Truman I'll ask them to use a real international carrier or no dice. For $68 you can do better. Junkard uses DHL, no shipping costs, and they get my boots door to door from Bandung, Indonesia to Amsterdam, Netherlands in two days. No customs, no tariffs, no delays, over pretty much the same distance.

biglmbass

Reaction score
Well this is disheartening. I have a pair of Gaucho Moose Hide that were to ship on the 20th. The web site, as we know sucks, said boots ship on 20th not start to ship.

See that's what's hard to understand. Those (moose) & other recent additions to their site having ship by & completion dates earlier than those of us that ordered MTO boots at/near the end of July that are still waiting on our boots.

jmiller123

Reaction score
I've had mixed experience with Truman so far. Ordered a pair of coach ramblers and by their recommendation, went true to size with a B width. Unfortunately way too tight. They said to send the boots back and they would waive the 20% stock fee if I switched to a new boot, so I went for the brown nut dublin. Since then, communication and honesty have been lacking. Through email they told me the boots would ship the first week of October. After hearing nothing, I emailed them past the October 20th deadline and was told they would ship beginning of the following week. That would have placed them as shipped before November. Since then, radio silence. After spending $600, I would have expected better communication and would have at least appreciated updates along the way.

Quantail

Reaction score
Ordered a pair of the Gaucho Moose hides this Wednesday, and dropped by the factory to see how they were doing on Thursday.
From what I saw it's not a 'mom and pop' shop. Instead they are grappling with scaling their craft as a business. Every email and every return puts a far greater burden on them than some other GYW companies that outsource everything. Since I was last there they've re-organized their manufacturing workshop/process and are putting more time into training and QC consistency. Not saying things are perfect, but don't put too much stock in the small number of issues that get turned into posts over the amount of good stuff they put out day after day.

Managed to get a few pics in of a Gaucho Moose sample they had laying around. Someone had gotten a few wears in on them. The leather was thick but luxuriously soft and pliable. Psyched to pick my pair up next Wednesday.

1101171406.jpg

1101171406b.jpg

Last edited:

fabes

Reaction score
As mentioned, here are some pictures of my new pair of Brown Nut Dublin. I'm very pleased with the quality of the leather and construction. I may not have the keen or critical eye as some of the more experienced members, but I'm satisfied. I had the opportunity to visit Canoe Club and try on some of Truman's boots in person which made this an easy experience for me. I'm 10 in 1000 Mile's and Indy's and went with 10.5 in Truman and the fit is quite nice. (I did try on a 10 and found it to be slightly too snug in the width from ball of foot across to pinky toe area while the 10.5 had that pleasant feeling like I was almost not wearing anything on my foot. As if it was a part of my foot.)

In terms of color variation, I had seen some quite dark samples of brown nut dublin, so I was freaking out a little while waiting for the boots to arrive. The color of this leather is exactly what I was hoping for and fills the gap I had in classic brown footwear. I now am starting to understand what @M635Guy said about dublin being a wipe occasionally, brush often leather that doesn't need a lot of product. The leather appears well nourished as I received it.

Overall I'm very pleased with boots in terms of their appearance and I have no complaints about the timeline and the wait, although i haven't waited as long as some other stated wait times. Time will tell in the wearing and durability, but if they hold up well like they appear to with some other member testimonials, I will be saving up for a second pair. I noticed there is generally a lack of pictures available on the web of the brown nut dublin and I hope these pictures prove to be useful to anyone interested. Thank you to those who have posted previously in this thread as it was helpful for me in choosing to give Truman a chance!

fullsizeoutput_2b93.jpeg
IMG_3579.JPG
IMG_3583.JPG
IMG_3585.JPG
IMG_3584.JPG

Last edited:

Mathfish

Reaction score
I wemt Moose because it's smooth. I have Nicks packers, White's semi dress in rough out & cowboy boots in hippo rough.
But I looked real hard at coyote and kudu rough nefore settling on the moose.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@fabes - great write up. Mine just arrived at my local distribution center this morning but I won't be able to pick them up until Wednesday. got the same ones as you.

I wear a 10 in 1000 mile, and a 9.5 on the 2030 last so I went with a 10 here. Hope it fits!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads