• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

True Nudie regular ralph sizing?

boston

Reaction score
Hi:

I'm eyeing a pair of nudie regular ralph on eBay.

I usually wear 32x34, but with diesel end up going to 30x34.

My normal 32x34 trousers have a 43 inch leg. I asked the eBay seller what the size was on the Ralphs, and he said ~41 inches.

I'm wondering if this is because the rise is *really* short, or the leg is *really* short, or both, or because he's not measuring correctly.

Also, I assume Nudie's don't shrink -- yes?

Finally, Nudie describes the Ralph's as being "regular, straight bootcut". Isn't this a contradiction in terms? I actually wear cowboy boots fairly often, a a true straight jean (like 501s) end up stopping at the ankle because they are narrow enough to be held up by the vamp of the boot, while Gap bootcut jeans (for exampe) fall much more naturally over the boot.

The Gap jeans have leg opening width of 9.75 inches, levis are 7.75 inches, and I'm told the Nudie jeans are 8.75 inches. Will this be enough to accomodate boots in a natural way?

Am open to all advise.

-boston

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Riccardi's on Newbury Street, and I think the new Barneys in the Copley Center both have Nudies, and it would really surprise me if neither are carrying the RR. I would go try them on. Your size in Diesel is not very helpful, since Diesel sizes vary widely by model. The Ralphs have a subtle bootcut, which is not really a contradiction. They have a straight outseam and a bit of a "bootcut" on the inseam. I would say that there is about a 1.5 inch difference between the knee and hem measurements.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Riccardi's on Newbury Street, and I think the new Barneys in the Copley Center both have Nudies, and it would really surprise me if neither are carrying the RR. I would go try them on. Your size in Diesel is not very helpful, since Diesel sizes vary widely by model. The Ralphs have a subtle bootcut, which is not really a contradiction. They have a straight outseam and a bit of a "bootcut" on the inseam. I would say that there is about a 1.5 inch difference between the knee and hem measurements.

LA Guy - In your opinion how much do nudie RR's strech in the waist after breaking them in? are they similar to APC new standards or will they shrink back to the original waist size? thanks much.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After 2 washes in 3 months (I know: heresy), my RRs tend to go back to their original sizing, or something slightly smaller. The stretch seems similar to regular department store jeans after a week or so.

--Andre

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ralf's have a slight bootcut. It's inbetween a true bootcut and straight leg. The rise is pretty short. They run pretty true to size, maybe slightly larger. Assuming they don't make a 31x34, you should get a 32x34 for sure.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
LA Guy - In your opinion how much do nudie RR's strech in the waist after breaking them in? are they similar to APC new standards or will they shrink back to the original waist size? thanks much.

They will definitely shrink back to the original wasit size after a wash, unless you have subjected them to the extreme stretching (ie. from a state where tou can't button the top two buttons.) Recently, I had to dry mine while they were just very, very slightly damp to get rid of the mildewy smell (Boston is pretty damp, and hang drying is sometimes just not enough) and they actually shrank slighltly in the waist. I'm pretty sure this is the reason people say that their raw and pre-washed Ralphs fit differently.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
The ralf's have a slight bootcut. It's inbetween a true bootcut and straight leg. The rise is pretty short. They run pretty true to size, maybe slightly larger. Assuming they don't make a 31x34, you should get a 32x34 for sure.

They definitely make a 31x34 (I am wearing a 31/32 Loose Frank Dry right now,) although these may be difficult to obtain in the States. Ask Mauro (DENIMBAR). He is probably the best hook up stateside.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law

I'm wearing a pair of 31x34 RRDG right now. They definitely make them. I got mine from Mauro, so I agree with LA Guy--check with Denim Bar, Mauro seems to stock everything!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics