• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trip to Italy - Advice & Suggestions

LJubel328

Reaction score
I am taking my first trips to Italy this spring and summer. At the end of May I will be in Milan for a week. Any suggestions of restaurants or cafes to check out? I won't have time to visit any stores as its business related. I will be doing another trip for pleasure in June. Starting in Florence in late June for Pitti then heading to Naples for a couple days. From there I will heading to Sorento. I will then be making stops in Rome, Tuscany, and the Amalfi coast.

I'm planning on staying at Hotel Cocumella or Hotel Caesar Agustus in Capri, Castello di Velona or Il Pellicano in Siena.

Wheres a good place to stay in Rome?

Any suggestions of restaurants, cafes, or stores to hit up while I am exploring?

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would spend most of my time in the Amalfi Coast and Tuscany, more specifically Montalcino. Siena is great but it's well-suited for a day trip. There are a bunch of wineries that have accommodations and I highly recommend staying at a vineyard. It was one of my highlights of my trip. Also, buy more wine than you think is necessary and ship it back the the U.S. Regardless of how much I buy I always wish I had bought more 6 months later.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For Florence, definitely check out Cibreo and Vini E Vecchi Sapori. Vini e Vecchi is a small family run place that literally seats like 12 people. The food is simple, but outstanding. You will need reservations, so make them months in advance. Cibreo is more upscale, but the food and service is phenomenal. We spent an evening there for dinner and the owner Fabio was constantly checking in on us and making sure we were enjoying our food.

When we were in Tuscany we really enjoyed Lucca and it's small quaint feel. Being there during white truffle and porcini was a huge bonus. It is kind of far from montalcino, but worth looking into.

The Amalfi coast is beautiful, especially in the summer. Amalfi, was a little too crowded for me but Ravello and Atrani were very enjoyable. You might be dling a lot of walking if staying farther up the mountain.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Generally avoid the resturants with outside solicitors trying to seat you, I found them to be horrible every time, and most of the places in and around the big tourist areas were also pretty terrible.

La Bussola in Florence had great pizza and Osteria Del Porcellino had great steak. Service was impeccable at pretty much all of the resturants we went to, it forever ruined me for resturants that are local to my home. I felt like a guest in their home at Porcellino, they really took care of us. They always encouraged us to stay, they were not shy with an after dinner drink and were always good to have a conversation with.

Same story with most of the independent shop owners that carry high end, they treated me well and always had a great knowledge of their products.

Last edited:

LJubel328

Reaction score

Generally avoid the resturants with outside solicitors trying to seat you, I found them to be horrible every time, and most of the places in and around the big tourist areas were also pretty terrible.

La Bussola in Florence had great pizza and Osteria Del Porcellino had great steak. Service was impeccable at pretty much all of the resturants we went to, it forever ruined me for resturants that are local to my home. I felt like a guest in their home at Porcellino, they really took care of us. They always encouraged us to stay, they were not shy with an after dinner drink and were always good to have a conversation with.

Same story with most of the independent shop owners that carry high end, they treated me well and always had a great knowledge of their products.

I heard of this place, www.damichele.net/, through another forum post. Seems like there are way to many good places to try in such a short amount of time.

For Florence, definitely check out Cibreo and Vini E Vecchi Sapori. Vini e Vecchi is a small family run place that literally seats like 12 people. The food is simple, but outstanding. You will need reservations, so make them months in advance. Cibreo is more upscale, but the food and service is phenomenal. We spent an evening there for dinner and the owner Fabio was constantly checking in on us and making sure we were enjoying our food.

When we were in Tuscany we really enjoyed Lucca and it's small quaint feel. Being there during white truffle and porcini was a huge bonus. It is kind of far from montalcino, but worth looking into.

The Amalfi coast is beautiful, especially in the summer. Amalfi, was a little too crowded for me but Ravello and Atrani were very enjoyable. You might be dling a lot of walking if staying farther up the mountain.

Thank you, both places sound very appetizing. Is Cibreo more pastas or meats?

I love truffles, where is Lucca in comparison to Lucca? Are there any other places to get good truffles?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads