• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trip to Denver and Boulder in August 2014

tdangio

Reaction score
Definitely not even close to a comprehensive list, but should give you a start. I try to avoid LoDo if at all possible. Tons of Ed Hardy and Affliction on Market St.

Food
Frasca (Boulder) - solid dinner, I think the prix fix is $75
Pizzeria Locale (Boulder) - good neapolitan style pizza
Colt & Gray (Denver) - always have some type of foie, also usually have one of the Pappy's or Antique Collection available, either upstairs or downstairs at Ste. Ellie
Old Major (Denver)
Wooden Spoon (Denver) - good spot for breakfast, especially breakfast sandwiches
Uncle (Denver) - pretty much momofuku in Denver. Haven't been to momofuku, so can't speak to how the quality stacks up, but it is good.
Il Posto (Denver)
Little Man Ice Cream - really good ice cream, but don't go in the evening unless you like waiting in absurd lines

Cocktails
Ste. Ellie - great sister restaurant to Colt & Gray, and conveniently downstairs from Colt & Gray
Williams & Graham - wait for a table can be really long on the weekend
Green Russell - skip it

To do
Red Rocks - not sure if there will be any concerts while you are there, but it's a great place to see a concert. If no concerts, still a great place to go for a hike
Rockies game
Breweries - there are a ton of breweries in Denver, just Google it. I know Great Divide does a tour. Falling Rock Tap House also has Pliny on tap sometimes.
Boulder hiking - Chautauqua Park has a fair number of decent hikes

bradp

Reaction score
Definitely not even close to a comprehensive list, but should give you a start. I try to avoid LoDo if at all possible. Tons of Ed Hardy and Affliction on Market St.

Food
Frasca (Boulder) - solid dinner, I think the prix fix is $75
Pizzeria Locale (Boulder) - good neapolitan style pizza
Colt & Gray (Denver) - always have some type of foie, also usually have one of the Pappy's or Antique Collection available, either upstairs or downstairs at Ste. Ellie
Old Major (Denver)
Wooden Spoon (Denver) - good spot for breakfast, especially breakfast sandwiches
Uncle (Denver) - pretty much momofuku in Denver. Haven't been to momofuku, so can't speak to how the quality stacks up, but it is good.
Il Posto (Denver)
Little Man Ice Cream - really good ice cream, but don't go in the evening unless you like waiting in absurd lines

Cocktails
Ste. Ellie - great sister restaurant to Colt & Gray, and conveniently downstairs from Colt & Gray
Williams & Graham - wait for a table can be really long on the weekend
Green Russell - skip it

To do
Red Rocks - not sure if there will be any concerts while you are there, but it's a great place to see a concert. If no concerts, still a great place to go for a hike
Rockies game
Breweries - there are a ton of breweries in Denver, just Google it. I know Great Divide does a tour. Falling Rock Tap House also has Pliny on tap sometimes.
Boulder hiking - Chautauqua Park has a fair number of decent hikes
fistbump.gif
thank you so much. This is very helpful indeed! I had actually gotten Rockies Tickets already...glad to see that's on your list. Price difference from Yankee Stadium is astounding!

Last edited:

bradp

Reaction score
If i can pick your brain for one more minute...is there a neighborhood you would recommend staying in Denver? Most of the decent looking hotels I see online seem to be in downtown denver. Is that the area you advised to steer clear of? (same question for Boulder, if you happen to know)

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Curated

Reaction score
You'll be fine staying in downtown Denver. The Hotel Monaco is great and the restaurant — Panzano's — is also excellent.

bradp

Reaction score
You'll be fine staying in downtown Denver. The Hotel Monaco is great and the restaurant — Panzano's — is also excellent.

Thanks. Any thoughts on ease of parking? I need to decide whether to rent a car at the airport and deal with it in Denver, or try to rent one in the city because we are going to Boulder, RMNP, etc later in the week.

manchambo

Reaction score
The HW Marriott in Cherry Creek would also be a good place to stay. Near downtown, and there are good restaurants there plus the best shopping (including Andriesen Morton and Lawrence Covell) if you are interested in that. Of course, most people don't come to Denver to shop for menswear.

Last edited:

tdangio

Reaction score

Thanks.  Any thoughts on ease of parking? I need to decide whether to rent a car at the airport and deal with it in Denver, or try to rent one in the city because we are going to Boulder, RMNP, etc later in the week.

Parking in Denver is relatively easy, and probably a cake walk compared to NYC. Hotels should have parking available too. I would stay in either downtown or Cherry Creek. More nightlife in downtown, more soccer moms in Cherry Creek. Downtown will be closer to LoHi where a number of my restaurant recommendations are.

In Boulder, anything near Pearl Street should be fine.

bradp

Reaction score
Parking in Denver is relatively easy, and probably a cake walk compared to NYC. Hotels should have parking available too. I would stay in either downtown or Cherry Creek. More nightlife in downtown, more soccer moms in Cherry Creek. Downtown will be closer to LoHi where a number of my restaurant recommendations are.

In Boulder, anything near Pearl Street should be fine.

thanks a ton for the recs. we will be staying in downtown denver the first couple of nights, then right on pearl street in a pretty nice-looking apartment from airbnb in boulder.

i see most of your recs are in LoHi. as far as going the seemingly short distance from downtown, do most people drive? walk? Living in NYC, I walk everywhere if weather permits, even if it's a mile or two. But i know in some places people think you're a crazy asshole if you travel on foot (not that i care all that much if people think i'm a crazy asshole
cool.gif
)

Last edited:

tdangio

Reaction score

thanks a ton for the recs.  we will be staying in downtown denver the first couple of nights, then right on pearl street in a pretty nice-looking apartment from airbnb in boulder. 

i see most of your recs are in LoHi.  as far as going the seemingly short distance from downtown, do most people drive? walk? Living in NYC, I walk everywhere if weather permits, even if it's a mile or two. But i know in some places people think you're a crazy asshole if you travel on foot (not that i care all that much if people think i'm a crazy asshole :cool: )

Walking from downtown is fine. Depending on where you're staying downtown (if you are on the east side), there is the 16th Street mall ride that will take you to the Union Station area, then it's a pretty quick, walk across some pedestrian bridges/through a park to get to LoHi. Humidity isn't an issue, so I usually walk around those areas as much as possible. Denver is one of the fittest states, so you will likely see a lot of other people walking or biking. If running late, driving works too, and you should be able to find parking, just might be a few blocks away.

There's also a bike sharing program if you want to get around more of the city quickly. Pick up a bike at a station near you, then drop it off at a station near your destination. https://denver.bcycle.com/

bradp

Reaction score
These recs were immensely helpful. Colt & gray was great...tried sweetbreads there for the first time and had a fat old pork shoulder for my entree. Beautiful. Drinks after downstairs at ste. ellie were top notch as well. Also loved breakfast at wooden spoon and dinner at pizzeria locale in denver. The kitchen in boulder was a groovy spot for drinks and apps too. thanks again all!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads