• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traveling in Europe - what have I forgotten to pack?

progressiveminded

Reaction score
In about a month, I'm scheduled to be spending half a year in The Netherlands. However, it's been quite a long time since I've been out of North America, and I'm guessing that some of the members here can give me some decent advice on a variety of things related to traveling.

The main things I've been worrying about are being able to retrieve money while abroad (from my US bank account) and power conversion issues. I think I've been able to figure out the money issue, but the power issue eludes me. Can anyone give me a recommendation for a transformer to purchase? If it helps, I will primarily be using it with my laptop.

What else should I be thinking about? What am I going to be beating myself up over for forgetting to get before I leave?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by progressiveminded
In about a month, I'm scheduled to be spending half a year in The Netherlands. However, it's been quite a long time since I've been out of North America, and I'm guessing that some of the members here can give me some decent advice on a variety of things related to traveling.

The main things I've been worrying about are being able to retrieve money while abroad (from my US bank account) and power conversion issues. I think I've been able to figure out the money issue, but the power issue eludes me. Can anyone give me a recommendation for a transformer to purchase? If it helps, I will primarily be using it with my laptop.

What else should I be thinking about? What am I going to be beating myself up over for forgetting to get before I leave?

there is a very good chance that your power supply for the laptop has a transformer built in.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You've probably already figured it out, but for money, just use an ATM. My favorite shirts for travel are OCBDs.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Condoms. And yeah, you probably don't want to carry around a regular transformer for your laptop...

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
psu of the laptop should be able to deal with it, a simple 110-220 converter and you're good to go. The money issue should'nt be a problem, larger stores accept creditcards these days here. You should be fine with the atm's too, otherwise just ask the personnel at the bank... Gonna get ripped off with the current conversion rate anyways.
musicboohoo[1].gif
Where are you staying?

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You miiight need a plug adapter (not power converter) because some EU countries use the weird UK plugs. Even if you do end up needing some kind of plug adapter, I am sure you could easily get one locally, once you are there.

lithium180

Reaction score
Yeah no sweat on being able to pick up the plug converter. And money is easy too. There's nothing I can think of that's sold in the US that you can't get in Western Europe.

progressiveminded

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nootje
Where are you staying?

I'm staying around Central Station in the city center. I'll be studying law at the UvA for half a semester, up until Christmas.

You're right, the power supply of the laptop can accept a variety of currents.

Thanks for the advice so far. Anyone have anything else to suggest/tell?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm staying around Central Station in the city center. I'll be studying law at the UvA for half a semester, up until Christmas.

near the central station in Amsterdam? two words for you - surinamese eethaus.

best food that you can't get in the US. cheap, filling, good. mmmmmm

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not really, anything you might need is right there in the city.. For a slightly different kind of setting to go out in you might want to take the train to Utrecht as well.

If you need anything you cant find while you're down there just give me a PM. I'm regularly in Amsterdam due to some clubs there
cool.gif
and happy to help.

speedfreak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
You miiight need a plug adapter (not power converter) because some EU countries use the weird UK plugs. Even if you do end up needing some kind of plug adapter, I am sure you could easily get one locally, once you are there.
You actually should not get a UK plug adapter because can't use it here in continental Europe! We have a different one with just two round connectors on it. But anyway you should easily be able to pick the right one up at the airport in some store when arriving. So don't worry about that!

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reality is that as long as you have anything prescription which you require (glasses, medicines, etc) and all relevant documents / cards (passports, bank card, etc) you will be fine. Amsterdam is a big city and you can get anything and everything you need. (It took a while, but now you can even get Skippy creamy peanut butter).

I moved from Atlanta to Amsterdam ~6 years ago and found that its nice to pack a few small comfort things for when you need a bit of home. Favourite sauces or dressings, etc... I would spend my time reading about the city so that you can just jump right in when you get there rather than worrying about what to pack.

Ohh, and Dutch style is quite different in alot of ways than US style. If you bring a full a wardrobe you will run the risk of standing out as a tourist the whole time that you are there.

K

hisroadside

Reaction score
theres pretty much everything you need in Europe. just bring some comfort food like popcorn or something in case you get homesick. a 110-230 converter is pretty expensive if you need some decent Wattage so I suggest buying the appliances you need in Europe in 230V and finding the laptop converter in 230AC-12DC, check it might already do it. some are 110/230-12.

wait has anyone here actually used a converter because those things are huge! you need to create an electromag field between coper wire coils one wrapped with half the copper than the other and it ends up weighing sever pounds and makes a **** ton of noise, plug in anything designed for 110v into a 220v and it will grill out your appliance.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are NO: Reeces Pieces, and there are NO decent Burritos. And right now, there is NO Summer!

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
There are NO: Reeces Pieces, and there are NO decent Burritos. And right now, there is NO Summer!

There is an international shop down in de Pijp that sometimes has Reese's Pieces / peanut butter cups.

And if you are desparate for a Mexican fix there are a few places in town (only go to Rose's Cantina if you are more concerned with boozing than eating.)

I miss the Vondelpark

K

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members