• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To the haters

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Yes! Then you can bring back an old thread and everyone will yell at you for doing that.

Actually, I thought this was okay with people. Better to resurrect an old thread...at least it shows you tried to search.

Surfrider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concepts_BLC
All jokes aside I think this is a great post. I agree 100% and have been guilty of it on ocasion ( See I Came From Nothing thread).
Everybody has lapses in judgment or self-control from time to time; we're all human, it's no big deal. That said, there *are* a lot of individuals here who habitual assholes, and given to being abusive without provocation. But of course, in this way, SF is no different than any other public forum on the 'net.
Overall I think this forum is narrow minded...
Sure, but it seems to me that most members (especially the long-standing ones) are both aware of that fact, and *like it that way.* SF is (and always has been..?) a club, if you will, for people who share a certain aesthetic. From their perspective, this is *their* forum, and outsiders who bring in styles/ideas/opinions these people don't share are met with resentment. Now, I'm certainly not justifying habitual, um, "assholishness," but when you view things from the perspective of these long-time members (or any member who joined SF because they liked the pre-existing aesthetic/environment), it's not hard to understand why they feel as they do. And I can't say I entirely disagree with this line of thought, either. There *are,* after all, other communities dedicated to the appreciation of things like neon Dunks, Bape hoodies, children's backpacks with neon green straps, and bucket hats with rubber duckies on them; SuFu, Hypebeast, and et cetera. Personally, I feel that folks coming to SF and truly trying to start a discussion on Affliction tees are just as out of line as somebody would be running over to Hypebeast and trying to start a discourse on, I dunno, Allen Edmonds shoes. I certainly respect the right of others to buy/wear/like whatever they want, but I *do* feel that each of these aesthetics has it's own place.
...and def goes with whats hot right now and anything outside of that gets clowned and laughed at.
If by "what's hot right now" you mean what SF collectively thinks is "hot," then sure. But if you imply that SF appreciates "mainstream 'hotness,'" i.e., the fashions that generate the most overall sales, then I disagree strongly. In fact, I would argue that many an SF member is inclined to spurn something *because* it is mainstream, and therefore "douchy."
I will mesh them all together and make my own style out of what I like. I think that is A Good Thing, and I think people being different is a good thing too.
Like yourself, my personal style is an amalgam of varied influences. And I wholeheartedly agree that diversity in styles and tastes is a good thing. But, again, when I want to see Bape hoodies and neon Dunks, I go to SuFu. When I want to see suits by Ermenegildo (
wink.gif
) Zegna, I come *here.* You don't go to a sushiya for a 16oz Porterhouse, just as you don't go to The Met for sashimi. And I don't see anything wrong with that.

datasupa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surfrider
trying to start a discourse on, I dunno, Allen Edward shoes.
The full name of that brand is Allen Edward Edmonds Green, actually.
But, again, when I want to see Bape hoodies and neon Dunks, I go to SuFu.
You've never been to sufu have you.
When I want to see suits by Ermenegildo (
wink.gif
) Zenga, I come *here.*

You've never seen any suits have you.

Surfrider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by datasupa
The full name of that brand is Allen Edward Edmonds Green, actually.
I did not know this. I've only seen the apparently abbreviated version of the company's name. And, just to make sure I understand you; you're not trying to take a shot at somebody because they didn't know a company's full name, or chose to use an abbreviated version of it...right?
You've never been to sufu have you.
Shore have! I gots me an account and everything, too!
You've never seen any suits have you.
Again, you're not actually mocking somebody for a typo, are you? Because that would be really silly. (Unless, I suppose, you're intending to being ironic in a supremely subtle manner (this is a thread about haters, after all). In which case, you got me. I guess...?
confused.gif
)

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did not know this. I've only seen the apparently abbreviated version of the company's name.

Think he's just screwing with you. Allen Edmonds and Edward Green are two different brands.

unrated

Reaction score
When I first joined these boards, I admit, reading some of the posts on this forum was sickening because some guys would act like fuckin elitists. In the end, I think we all have a common goal and its to simply dress better and evolve our style. I got really damn good at ignoring elitist posts and now browse these forums on a daily basis. There are a lot of helpful people here, and I think a good example of that are the guys who legitimately answer the questions in the Ask a Question, Get an Answer sticky. There are also users on here who I have PM'ed multiple times and they have always been kind and helpful, they know who they are.

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
one of the biggest reasons I left sufu in the first place was because of the general attitude on there. There's plenty of great members, but the overwhelming majority of elitists and pricks ruin it for everyone. Been lurking here for a while and it seems much better, you're likely to actually get criticism here, and that's what I like.

Goblin

Reaction score
Everyone's always been super-cool with me here, even during my early days, when I was even more clueless than I am now.

There is a dominant aesthetic here, and I mock the Hivemind occasionally, but it's in good fun and I honestly think the "groupthink" accusation is overstated. Some of the most respected members don't wear anything remotely like "the uniform." They take a little ****, but they get their props too, due in no small part to the fact that they're not giant cunts about it.

Get Smart doesn't dress in the SF uniform, SuperBobo doesn't, Chris doesn't, Fade to Black doesn't, LabelKing doesn't, Uncontrol doesn't, any number of other sharp motherfuckers don't, and they get along just fine here. Again, "not giant cunts." Everyone's even nice to me, and I look like the ass end of a dolphin.

tangerine

Reaction score
Everyone is tiptoeing around it, but I am just going to say it.

Brown is for farmer.

unrated

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dibadiba
one of the biggest reasons I left sufu in the first place was because of the general attitude on there. There's plenty of great members, but the overwhelming majority of elitists and pricks ruin it for everyone. Been lurking here for a while and it seems much better, you're likely to actually get criticism here, and that's what I like.

Cool dog, looks like a polar bear
smile.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
Some of the most respected members don't wear anything remotely like "the uniform."

...Get Smart doesn't dress in the SF uniform, SuperBobo doesn't, Chris doesn't, Fade to Black doesn't, LabelKing doesn't, Uncontrol doesn't, any number of other sharp motherfuckers don't, and they get along just fine here.

Something really doesn't belong.
crazy.gif

Don't get me wrong, I like the kid more than most. Still...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads