• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tips on buying shoes on ebay in UK and Europe please

hi123

Reaction score
Would you advise for it?
Have you ever received a pair and they were not what you expected or not as advertised?

What should I look for and what should I avoid?

Thank you for your help!

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I'm not in the UK nor Europe, I do have some experience in buying used shoes from eBay and other auction sites.

But first:
  • Buying new is generally better than buying used.
  • If your intent is just to save a bit of money, it is probably better to just wait, save up a bit more, and buy new.
  • Buying in person is best, so you can try on the shoes before committing.
  • If you do go down the used shoes route, then remember that buying used on auction is a gamble and not for the faint of heart or for those who cannot afford to swallow a few lemons along the way.
Some tips if you do try to go down this route:
  • Spend time doing research so you have a good idea of what you want -- brand, type of shoe and design, sole, color, etc. Don't just jump into it blind, and buy something because it seems like a bargain.
  • Be patient. Buying used is like sifting through a mountain of dirt to find a gem that may be lying hidden in there.
  • Know your size. And even if you know your size, do more research to gauge the fit of that particular last. There is quite a bit of variation out there.
  • Avoid anything where the upper is cracked, gouged, cut, ripped, or badly scuffed.
  • Pass on anything that looks like the original owner did not care for the shoes at all.
  • Be prepared to put a bit more money into the shoe for repairs, and elbow grease to clean it up and polish thoroughly.
  • I would now follow some vintage shoe hunters' advice and not buy anything with a replaced sole or a toppy put on top of an old leather sole. I bought a lemon a few months ago where the seller put a toppy on a completely worn out leather sole to hide the condition. I ended up replacing the entire outsole which made the purchase much more expensive.

hi123

Reaction score
While I'm not in the UK nor Europe, I do have some experience in buying used shoes from eBay and other auction sites.

But first:
  • Buying new is generally better than buying used.
  • If your intent is just to save a bit of money, it is probably better to just wait, save up a bit more, and buy new.
  • Buying in person is best, so you can try on the shoes before committing.
  • If you do go down the used shoes route, then remember that buying used on auction is a gamble and not for the faint of heart or for those who cannot afford to swallow a few lemons along the way.
Some tips if you do try to go down this route:
  • Spend time doing research so you have a good idea of what you want -- brand, type of shoe and design, sole, color, etc. Don't just jump into it blind, and buy something because it seems like a bargain.
  • Be patient. Buying used is like sifting through a mountain of dirt to find a gem that may be lying hidden in there.
  • Know your size. And even if you know your size, do more research to gauge the fit of that particular last. There is quite a bit of variation out there.
  • Avoid anything where the upper is cracked, gouged, cut, ripped, or badly scuffed.
  • Pass on anything that looks like the original owner did not care for the shoes at all.
  • Be prepared to put a bit more money into the shoe for repairs, and elbow grease to clean it up and polish thoroughly.
  • I would now follow some vintage shoe hunters' advice and not buy anything with a replaced sole or a toppy put on top of an old leather sole. I bought a lemon a few months ago where the seller put a toppy on a completely worn out leather sole to hide the condition. I ended up replacing the entire outsole which made the purchase much more expensive.
Thank you!!

Reaction score
I've bought a few pairs, and I've gotten what I paid for. With shipping and taxes there's not much to save, but you can get ok deals. Look for quality, brand names. With a little love and care you can get a nice pair that will last for a long time. Make sure you check the sizes thoroughly. US 10 is UK 9.5 etc.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought a few pairs, and I've gotten what I paid for. With shipping and taxes there's not much to save, but you can get ok deals. Look for quality, brand names. With a little love and care you can get a nice pair that will last for a long time. Make sure you check the sizes thoroughly. US 10 is UK 9.5 etc.

not always true, US10 is UK9 for many guys

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads