• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Timothy Everest or Thom Sweeney

ItsLouis

Reaction score
I have decided to get a bespoke dinner suit and would like to know which of these two brands to opt for. Timothy Everest said approx. £2400 for the Jacket, £3700 for the suit (which is probably a bit steep but I would be content with just the jacket) whereas Thom Sweeney charge £1700 for the Jacket or £2550 for the suit (which makes me slightly conscious of the disparity between the brands).
Thom Sweeney require two weeks more to make it (which would mean I would miss some good opporunities to wear it) but I am conscious of the money since I have saved solely for this purpose.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Louis

PS. Apologies for this being my first post. I have long since stalked style forum and finally needed some advice that I couldn't find.

Stanley the 2nd

Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that the 2 guys who run Thom Sweeney used to work for Timothy Everest? There was a video interview on Tom Stubbs' blog with Thom Sweeney which sounded interesting which might be worth watching. £1K is quite a difference but Timothy Everest is well established and can charge a premium. Depends on what you've got your heart set on?

ItsLouis

Reaction score
yes they did. The guy I spoke to at Timothy Everest also spoke very highly of them. I should imagine I will opt for the Thom Sweeney suit but I'm just conscious of it being so much cheaper. Wondered if anybody had any endorsements or the likes.

I'll check out the video you mentioned

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
I'd go with Thom S. Despite being a loyal T.Everest customer I have to say things aren't what they used to be and complacency has somewhat set in. TS really embody what TE stood for & produced at it's pinnacle a few years back.

ItsLouis

Reaction score
I visited Thom Sweeney, Tom Baker and Mark Powell today. I was very impressed with the clothing and detail at Thom Sweeney but they ended up quoting me £3000 for the suit, whereas Mark Powell (who the guy at Maurice Sedwell thought to be a better tailor) offered £2600. I went with Mark Powell and am now somewhere between excited and remarkably worried that I would have prefered the slightly slimmer Sweeney cut. Will have to see at a later date with a lot more money I suppose.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a brief stint working with Timothy. Its a real Bespoke garment and better priced than other companies I worked for like Gieves and Richard James. From my experience Thom Sweeny's margin looks tight to me so I would be just bit cautious. I don't want to throw Thom Sweeney under a bus though as I don't know much about them or their operation to be fair.

I just know what goes into a TE suit and I know its priced competitively.

Last edited:

munch

Reaction score
Guys...and David (how's things?) , I have two Thom Sweeney suits. I did a short spell there and I did some research on the competition. I don't have much Bespoke experience but I know that quite a bit of work goes into any Bespoke suit and most tailors use Italian and English cloths from the same mills and a Thom Sweeney suit is a very well cut suit and priced competitively. I have two and they are something else. Made to perfection. The guys are flexible and in tune.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have decided to get a bespoke dinner suit and would like to know which of these two brands to opt for. Timothy Everest said approx. £2400 for the Jacket, £3700 for the suit (which is probably a bit steep but I would be content with just the jacket) whereas Thom Sweeney charge £1700 for the Jacket or £2550 for the suit (which makes me slightly conscious of the disparity between the brands).

Thom Sweeney require two weeks more to make it (which would mean I would miss some good opporunities to wear it) but I am conscious of the money since I have saved solely for this purpose.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Louis

PS. Apologies for this being my first post. I have long since stalked style forum and finally needed some advice that I couldn't find.

You could not sensibly buy just the jacket alone - look dreadful paired with the wrong trousers.

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pics

Sigh I tried to get them to come to DC but they weren't having it. I am giving Field's in DC a go for an English suit.

FYI David gandy wears them exclusively. You can check his blog for more Thom Sweeney suits.

Last edited:

PaddyB

Reaction score
I have a couple of TS suits that they made me years ago and am picking up a couple more this coming week - they are great! I followed them from Timothy E after meeting the guys there. Great service and very nice product.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads