• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time has come, Manhattan here I come

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I hate internet liars.

First you go to some school in Florida over Brown/Georgetown.

Second you sold 2 companies and want to get into finance on Wall Street.

Even if your companies were tiny, they should have AT LEAST netted 100k each. Any smaller I have no idea what the hell they were.

I work on Wall Street (not back/mid office). I dont know why you would want to switch in over starting companies.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
duty_calls.png

Catalyst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vigilant
Again, another misconception about Chicago. The moniker, the Windy City, has nothing to do with wind. The name is attributable to the loud mouth politicians of the late 19th century.

Statistics have show Chicago to be just as windy, more or less, as NYC and Boston.

This is very interesting, I guess I never looked into it. I have however, spent plenty of days on Lake Erie, and it gets damned windy sometimes.

Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
^I hate internet liars.

First you go to some school in Florida over Brown/Georgetown.

Second you sold 2 companies and want to get into finance on Wall Street.

Even if your companies were tiny, they should have AT LEAST netted 100k each. Any smaller I have no idea what the hell they were.

I work on Wall Street (not back/mid office). I dont know why you would want to switch in over starting companies.

Firstly, I don't take kindly to being called a liar. You are making assumptions based upon incomplete data, and that is a fools folly; I had 100% scholarship to a FL school vs paying out of state tuition at an Ivy liberal arts school. No business program at all. At the time I was considering journalism and I applied with my best friend from high school. I got in and he didn't. It's none of your business but my companies were smaller than 100k, and I only sold one of them; I let the other dissolve.

I want to relocate in NYC because 1. I am tired of Florida and feel like I am wasting my life here, and 2. I need money to invest in my current startup. That's all, no magic here. I like the idea of working for a consulting or finance company in particular because I can apply what I learn to businesses.

Originally Posted by thenanyu
duty_calls.png

lol.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

exaequo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Catalyst
This is very interesting, I guess I never looked into it. I have however, spent plenty of days on Lake Erie, and it gets damned windy sometimes.

Firstly, I don't take kindly to being called a liar. You are making assumptions based upon incomplete data, and that is a fools folly; I had 100% scholarship to a FL school vs paying out of state tuition at an Ivy liberal arts school. No business program at all. At the time I was considering journalism and I applied with my best friend from high school. I got in and he didn't. It's none of your business but my companies were smaller than 100k, and I only sold one of them; I let the other dissolve.

I want to relocate in NYC because 1. I am tired of Florida and feel like I am wasting my life here, and 2. I need money to invest in my current startup. That's all, no magic here. I like the idea of working for a consulting or finance company in particular because I can apply what I learn to businesses.

lol.

You still made a terrible choice, which doesn't speak well of your ability to think long-term. That being said, who would believe you when you say things like "out of state tuition" for Brown?

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^No one does. Thats because either he's a liar or this scream how ****** Brown really is.

1. No one cares if a good school has a business program. You think going to Villanova Business school will help you over Harvard?

2. You need money to invest in your current startup. So you....work for it? This is so bad I dont know where to begin. Angel investors? VC funds?

3. Finance to apply what I learn to business. HAHA this is the most laughable part. No part of "finance" either in banking of F500 corp finance at the analyst level will EVER help you run a business.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Catalyst
I know the weather is similar, it just seems like Chicago would have the wind factor from the jetstream coming off the lake. NYC has more buildings to block it, plus the wind isn't coming it from the water(it goes west to east).

Uhhhh...... bro, you realize that all the water in Chicago is on the east side, right?

Thebomb85019

Reaction score

3. Finance to apply what I learn to business. HAHA this is the most laughable part. No part of "finance" either in banking of F500 corp finance at the analyst level will EVER help you run a business.

Qft. Banking (regardless of level) will not teach you how to run a company. Consulting will but your shot at a middle to top consulting firm is almost zero. Consulting is a lot more structured and they heavily recruit within the industry and/or from on-campus whereas most finance jobs just look for bodies willing to put in the 80 hours of work each week. The MBB's of the world only accept the best of the best and there are very few undergrads in their programs because they tend to be staffed with MBA'ers.

I would not get into finance/consulting unless you want to end up working in private equity, investments, banking as a long term career. No point in killing yourself for two years if you are going to turn around and be an entrepreneur. I have networked with a few guys at top VC's (Battery, Silver Lake, etc.) and they all recommended working in field (i.e. a technology company specializing in software, etc.) over going the banking/consulting route because that stuff can always be learned latter.

EMY

Reaction score
I'll be arriving in NYC on Thursday afternoon and plan to go on the Staten Island Ferry around 6-7 pm. Is the Manhattan skyline bright enough for me to take pictures in the rain/dark?

Coming from Grand Central, do I just go on the "4 green circle" and get off on South Ferry Terminal?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I don't think the 4 or 5 trains go to South Ferry - you'd take them from Grand Central heading downtown to the Bowling Green stop which is like two blocks away. Note that from GC there will be 4, 5, and 6 trains (6 is on one side, 4 and 5 stop on the other). Don't take the 6.

Valor

Reaction score
Brown is not a real school /Vox

Honestly, full ride to UF is better than going to Brown.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Valor
Brown is not a real school /Vox

Honestly, full ride to UF is better than going to Brown.

Cmon now. I hate those hippy no major liberals at Brown too but I recognize it as a better school than UF.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cmon now. I hate those hippy no major liberals at Brown too but I recognize it as a better school than UF.
Yeah but...a full ride compared to Brown's $$$ tuition. I really don't think your run of the mill student would be getting anything worth that extra dough at Brown, except for brand rec.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads