• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time has come, Manhattan here I come

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
ROFL

+1.
crackup[1].gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
It would appear we are cut from the same cloth.
The fact that my mother had a fully furnished vacant apartment on Park Avenue (but with the superWASP side street entrance) didn't hurt.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
The fact that my mother had a fully furnished vacant apartment on Park Avenue (but with the superWASP side street entrance) didn't hurt.
bounce2.gif
drool.gif

cl smooth

Reaction score
I guess I could give my quick weigh-in, as a recent college grad who just moved to NY 6 months ago.

I'm from the west coast, graduated from a public state school, nothing fancy or prestigious. Hit up craigslist like mad, got a few interviews for my field lined up (media/advertising).

Flew out, spent a week doing interviews, got an offer. Accepted said offer, went back home for 2 weeks, and flew back to NY on a one-way ticket.

Slept on a friends couch for the first week and a half back. Hit up every single person that posted an apartment on craigslist for under $1,000 and in Manhattan.

Yes, for that money this means 4,5, and 6 bedroom apartments that have a room opening up. Not your own place. Although, I preferred this for a few reasons. One, I didn't know anyone. At least having roomates that were in my age range could help out a little bit when I started out. Also, furnishing a single room is expensive enough. Furnishing an entire loft/studio/1-bedroom is infinitely more. Think about all the random crap you have to buy--knives, pots , utensils, lamps, little rugs, corner tables, etc. It never ends. By moving into an already-functioning apartment, you only have to worry about buying a bed and a dresser.

Anyways, after visiting half a dozen craigslist places, I found one that had chill guys, good location (murray hill/gramercy neighborhood) and was big. And under $1000 (although barely).

Been living here for 6 months now, and it's been great. Living in Manhattan is awesome, but like others have said, depending on where you get a job, you'll be commuting within manhattan for the same amount of time, if not longer, than in BK/Queens.

MY ADVICE TO YOU:

Don't come here and look for a job. Call/email people now, tell them you're available for an interview TOMORROW, and see what happens. If someone wants you to come in for an interview you can book a ticket. Yeah, it may be 100-200 more to book a last minute ticket than to plan it out, but that's the cost of getting a job out of state. Don't assume you're helpless just because you're in FL. You're a 3.5-hour plane ride away. You're not in Africa. You can be there in a day if you need to.

Overall, it's about your attitude. Don't be so narrow-minded about your plan, where you want to live, how much money you want to make, etc. Everything is negotiable. Being dead-set on anything in this city is asking for disappointment.

Sharpen up that resume, polish up your small talk skills, and start hustling. Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads