• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie question

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to a work function tomorrow. I was planning on wearing a 2 button Oxxford suit in a medium weight steel blue nailhead (looks sort of bluish grey overall), a sky blue twill spread collar shirt with subtle darker blue stripes, and my new Polo cordovan bluchers. My question is what tie would you go with? My sense was to keep it in a darker shade, such as deep burgundy (sort of a purple) or possibly even a navy blue (I'm not going with a solid tie, I'm just talking about the dominant color right now). Should I do that or throw in a brighter color, such as gold or blood orange?

Thanks.

alaaro

Reaction score
I always vote for brighter. Just something to make you stand out, esp with a darker suit.

whitsang

Reaction score
I think it depends on the work function. Is this with clients? Is it a company holiday party? Is it with new hires? My opinion is that those all have a different feel and likely make a difference in how bold you can be (burgundy vs. blood orange).

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a small dinner keynoted by a federal judge. I would have worn a dressier suit but this is an very early evening affair and it's going to be freezing tomorrow. The suit is very appropriate, as are the shoes (no need to wear black). I'm just wondering on the tie. Clients are not involved.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would go with a maroon tie that picks up the blue in the shirt. Do not go with something bright, especially if it is an evening event. Also, if I were you and assuming it is an evening event, I would wear a pair of black laceup shoes. The Polo Cordovans (I know the model; I bought the wingtip version) are too casual for a work function. They are really beautiful, sturdy English country shoes that would look best when worn with cords, moleskins, whipcords, etc. That is just my opinion.

shqiptar

Reaction score
I would suggest a non-striped red tie, not the shiny ones, but something subtle in dark red (almost maroonish). It's both formal and sexy. Chances are you'll stand out in the best positive way.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are probably right re: black shoes. I don't think it's necessary, but ...

The Polo's go just fine with suits, in my opinion. I didn't think they would at first, but they do.

I'll wear my black Cardiffs and go with the maroon tie (that was my first choice), which is a Zegna.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd go with maroon or some shade of red myself, perhaps burgundy, perhaps something with some sort of texture to it.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drizz, that's exactly what the tie is -- burgundy with non-busy dark blue stripes. A bit of texture to it, and a little bit of sheen, which will stand out from the brushed finish of the suit and the fine twill of the shirt.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Might as well ask here, instead of starting a new thread with the same title. Â I've got an evening wedding later this week with a bunch of people who "won't know the difference" according to my gf (her friends, not mine). Â Slim black suit, white shirt. Â Debating between two of FIH's ties:
FH80D-VS-20-CP.jpg
A34393-2.jpg
which is only if FIH gets the 'champagne' in this week. Â The way I see it the 'champagne' is a bit classier while the 'rust' is more festive and eye-catching. Â Also in the running is
NSS4-IRGD.jpg
as a more flamboyant option. Opinions? Tom

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the second one. It pops out more than the other two.

Alex_O

Reaction score
Slim black suit and white shirt I would imagine a white pocket square in which case I would go with choice one.
On the other hand tie two is also nice but I'm wondering what kind of pocket square? A subdued dark red maybe, both good choices. Tie three to me doesn't seem more flamboyant than two you could possibly even pull it off with a white pocket square if it is silk no?

Since this is not so important an event or discening a crowd why not try out the limit of what you are willing to do. Do the wildest combo and see if you can handle it.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Good point Alex_O, this might be the time to break out my brighter striped T&A. Nothing too out of control, just vibrant pink and blue stripes.

As far as a pocket square goes my date (ok, the girl for whom I am a date/accessory) will be wearing indigo silk so I am considering and looking for a white linen square with indigo piping.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads