• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie Length - In the USA and around the World

Alex_O

Reaction score
I was in South America for winter break and in the larger cities I noticed something I had noted in western Europe (mostly in the south) as well and might as well bring up now.

Mainly that business men at least a majority favor short ( to my eyes ) ties by short I mean two three or more inches above the waist. Often looking like school boys, albeit well dressed school boys. They do not wear their pants especially low and I must say on a whole dress better than the business men in the USA.

There were people with normal length ties and I imagined that on a whole they were the older if not the more prosperous set.

I was under the impression that the proper way to wear a tie was just to the belt line. And Personally I have even on occasion been chastised for wearing my tie too long, this may bee an American vice as I have seen that from time to time.

Now I have seen the short tie in both South America and western Europe, I didn't really notice but on the few people who I saw wear suits in Eastern Europe I do not think had short ties.

Can any one explain the un american short tie phenomenon? Is it fashion influenced ( Ive never noticed advertisments with short ties)? Is it tie dimensions (obviously you can only tie a necktie so short unless it is on the whole short)?

In the US I am almost positive I have never seen the too short tie look.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see it all the time and its not on purpose. I noticed this especially in phili. I've never heard of people purposly wearing their ties on the short side but i think that when people wear ties that are to short or two long that it look simply hideous.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Wearing a tie thats too short looks like youre wearing your son's tie, and wearing one that's too long looks like you're wearing your dad's... There's no real subjective standpoint on tie length the way I see it. I think it either touches your belt and looks good (less than an inch of fabric looks okay too, but only on low rise trousers), or it goes below your belt and looks bad. I also can't stand tucked-in ties.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wearing a tie thats too short looks like youre wearing your son's tie, and wearing one that's too long looks like you're wearing your dad's... There's no real subjective standpoint on tie length the way I see it. I think it either touches your belt and looks good (less than an inch of fabric looks okay too, but only on low rise trousers), or it goes below your belt and looks bad. I also can't stand tucked-in ties.
I sometimes tuck in my tie...although I'm always wearing a vest at the time, so how could you tell anyways?
biggrin.gif
Jon. Seriously though, I have to concur with Brian on this one. It's either worn properly or its not, there is no mid-point as to how it should be worn.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i tend to leave my ties a few inches above my belt. not on purpose, but that's just how it ends up, and i think it looks fine. i think they did this on purpose in the '50s.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To the belt is a look that can be hard when you simply are wearing a tie that is too short.

Talking to some men I know (who had the super short look) they had gained weight over time and had simply never thought about buying a longer tie.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in South America for winter break and in the larger cities I noticed something I had noted in western Europe (mostly in the south) as well and might as well bring up now.

Mainly that business men at least a majority favor short ( to my eyes ) ties by short I mean two three or more inches above the waist. Often looking like school boys, albeit well dressed school boys. They do not wear their pants especially low and I must say on a whole dress better than the business men in the USA.

There were people with normal length ties and I imagined that on a whole they were the older if not the more prosperous set.

I was under the impression that the proper way to wear a tie was just to the belt line. And Personally I have even on occasion been chastised for wearing my tie too long, this may bee an American vice as I have seen that from time to time.

Now I have seen the short tie in both South America and western Europe, I didn't really notice but on the few people who I saw wear suits in Eastern Europe I do not think had short ties.

Can any one explain the un american short tie phenomenon? Is it fashion influenced ( Ive never noticed advertisments with short ties)? Is it tie dimensions (obviously you can only tie a necktie so short unless it is on the whole short)?

Perhaps you can consult old photos from America during the 30's-50's and see that wearing one's tie shorter was okay.

Also the case with DB suits (though of course the tie end wouldn't be seen, would it?).

godless

Reaction score
Well i come from south europe (italy) and....hmmm lemme think....the tie has to reach the belt....too short is awful, too long is....hmmm lemme think...well...not good
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads