• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrifters: How do you fix a price tag puncture in shirt fabric?

coffeecupman

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Recently I really scored at the local thrift store. I found three Brooks Brothers shirts for an average price of $5 each. I thought I had really hit the mother lode this time

After I got home, I went to cut the tags off of my shirts, only to find that the knuckleheads who priced the shirts punctured the fabric with the plastic tags. In one case this is on the cuff, in another close to the collar.

I know if I just try to ignore these holes that they will quickly grow, making my shirts a false economy. I didn't buy Brooks Brothers shirts to look like a 1990's Seattle grunge fan.

So, what do you guys do when you find a puncture in nice shirt fabric? Is there a product that can be applied to stop the fraying and keep the hole from growing? The fabric is far too fine to be woven back together like some coarser-knit garments can be.

I have seen people recommend iron on patches, but in these puncture locations it seems as though that will look terrible. Should I iron on a patch from the underside only and leave it there? What brand/make of patch yields the best results for this?

I have heard people suggest Krazy Glue, but then others say that that will ultimately do more harm than good, damaging the fibers around it.

Incidentally, I am going in to the store manager to get them to train the staff on how not to ruin shirts, since this is to be their business.

Thanks,
ccm

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My first instinct would be to use a bit of cloth tape, but I'm kind of a noob when it comes to repairing stuff. I suggest you get in contact with either member "Reevolving" or "iroh"

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you try steaming it?

+1. It shouldn't grow. It should relax with time and pretty much disappear. Steaming will aid this.

coffeecupman

Reaction score
This is a legit puncture. It's not just the threads moved aside. Threads are broken. I don't want to agitate it until I know how to keep the broken threads from unraveling further.

ccm

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pix or it didn't happen.

TGOL

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Throw one of the shirts in the wash. I would be surprised if it doesn't heal up. I've purchased new shirts (at Old Navy, admittedly) that have tags punched through them, and they haven't fallen apart appreciably faster than Old Navy shirts usually do.

The worst case scenario is that you're out fifteen dollars. Brown-bag your lunch for the next three Tuesdays and chalk it up to experience.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Move to Seattle.

Last edited:

coffeecupman

Reaction score
The worst case scenario is that you're out fifteen dollars. Brown-bag your lunch for the next three Tuesdays and chalk it up to experience.

Thanks for these words of wisdom. I was really on the edge prior to this.

ccm

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And get a time machine.  It's an option.

Hmm.  I really thought more people here would have had some useful experience with repairing a puncture in a shirt.

ccm 

Because most MC SFers are ballin', and have no need to thrift second hand shirts.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads