• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three-piece without a tie?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Put a tie on young man and get a haircut (sounds like my gran when I write that)..
It only gets worse as you get older. Take it from experience. One day you are the "gran" generation.

My father is the only one of my parents' generation of siblings (and including spouses) who is still alive. My generation is now -- with that one exception -- the oldest. And even we -- four of the twelve first cousins -- are beginning to make departures.

GucciKid

Reaction score
No. Please.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't discuss that at this time.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Watch 'The Mentalist' for a good example of this. Usually his waistcoats are slightly contrasting to the coat and trousers but he does often wear matching ones too.

+1. I think Simon Baker pulls this look off rather well, even though his waistcoats often are too short or his pants have a too low rise according to 'teh rulez'.

If you check the first season with the flashbacks to his earlier life, there's a very nice difference in his 'before' and 'after' style. His slick TV persona always wore a tie and stuctured suits, his new incarnation is always sans tie with a waiscoat, a soft shouldered suit, a shirt with soft collar and chukka boots.

THE-MENTALIST-The-Red-Box-4.jpg

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by loreley
reIMG_8535-682x1024.jpg

Each morning, he gets up and says, "How can I best look like a douche today?"

Drudged

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
If you have to ask, you can't pull it off

I think this is true to a degree. I'll sometimes do a 3-piece sans tie, but only when going out for drinks for the night. I had slight reservations at first with the forgoing of the tie, but have since become partial to the look. I like to play with colors/patterns when doing it rather than just a basic blue or white shirt - and always with a silk pocket square rather than linen. During the day, however, or when attending anything to do with business, always wear a tie. Against the rules? Probably, but that's alright with me.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
+1. I think Simon Baker pulls this look off rather well, even though his waistcoats often are too short or his pants have a too low rise according to 'teh rulez'.

If you check the first season with the flashbacks to his earlier life, there's a very nice difference in his 'before' and 'after' style. His slick TV persona always wore a tie and stuctured suits, his new incarnation is always sans tie with a waiscoat, a soft shouldered suit, a shirt with soft collar and chukka boots.

I thought the exact same thing when i saw this thread. Not Perfect by SF means but I still like his look.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan

That's part of the Mentalist character to be a bit different...

loreley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otheme
This is closer to what I had in mind -- crispy, dressy, but not uptight.

daniel-craig-defiance-dvd.jpg

This looks forced in my mind. And it also looks like DC could lose a few lbs.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
i have a 3 piece I wore with an open collar and no jacket...i opted for an ascot instead of a tie.....worked well IMHO. Not sure id do it with the jacket though. But like most things, if you wear it with enough swagger, it will look good.

Im of the school of thought that if you have to ask if something would look good on you or if you could pull this off....you probably cant. Confidence of your outfit is 99% of looking good.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was about to say that bloke on that TV show does it all the time. I did it once and felt very strange.

otheme

Reaction score
True. However, confidence by itself cannot completely substitute for knowledge, style, and taste, all of which have to be acquired over time and trial/error, no? And I think even the Duke of Windsor himself didn't invent all those styles in the dark. Most likely he did it based on the feedback and suggestions from his friends, in privacy. I'd prefer to think of SF as such as place.
Originally Posted by DerekS
Im of the school of thought that if you have to ask if something would look good on you or if you could pull this off....you probably cant. Confidence of your outfit is 99% of looking good.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otheme
True. However, confidence by itself cannot completely substitute for knowledge, style, and taste, all of which have to be acquired over time and trial/error, no?

very true. im just saying on stuff like that....it takes a lot of confidence. essentially "breaking of rules" bullshit.
wink.gif
I would try not to worry about it and just do it. if you feel like it looks good it will.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads