• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Thanks John Elliott!

Styleforum was one of the first digital communities to embrace John Elliott, and in recognition of that, John Elliott has extended to our comunuty a monthly discount to fans of the brand who engage here. Simply enter the code for SF-OCT-15

Check out all of their new arrivals here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on this outfit?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket looks long in the picture, but it might just be the camera angle, I would say we would need to see a full-length shot taken with the camera at about mid-height to be able to tell for sure...

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BruceWayne
Ok. However, I've read that your thumb knuckle should line up with the bottom of the jacket. Wouldn't getting an 36/38S effect that (and also make my arms look long)?

This is a terrible metric for figuring out jacket length. Everyone's arms are of different lengths with respect to their bodies. A properly sized jacket should cover your seat; others say it should bisect you. In any case, it has little to do with your arms. If you have relatively long legs, and are in good shape, go with a length that just covers your seat. Do not buy a 38R and have it shortened, because the balance of the coat will be thrown off (the jacket will be shorter, but the pockets and buttoning point will remain in the original spot and look odd).

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, a lot of responses... my advice, I think Randllr does a good job of this sort of look, look him up in his WAYW threads.

BruceWayne

Reaction score
Ok, I'm resubmitting the same questions as before, but with this combination instead.

DSC00213.jpg

DSC00215.jpg

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trousers better. Not keen on the tie, but if you insist, I'd wear it with a paler, plainer shirt. I think the shirt would look better with a solid dark red tie, and a gold pocket square.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100% better. Tie is not to my exact taste, but it is a huge improvement over the last combination.

BruceWayne

Reaction score
I was trying to go for kind of a British (Turnbull & Asser
worship.gif
)/ dandy type of feel with the shirt and tie
blush.gif

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
although not a huge fan of the tie, it does work (also add a PS).

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My real question is, if you had this blue shirt that is not only a better color, but also has a nicer collar, in addition to the much nicer tie, why didn't you wear them in the first place?

BruceWayne

Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
My real question is, if you had this blue shirt that is not only a better color, but also has a nicer collar, in addition to the much nicer tie, why didn't you wear them in the first place?

I guess I was just experimenting
blush.gif

BruceWayne

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I believe my blazer fit me similarly to how the blazer fits the fellow in this pic I found on the blog "A Suitable Wardrobe".

TakeIvy82_145.jpg

FYI, the first I posted did not do justice to the tie in it. In person it looks a bit similar to the tie in the above pic.

Featured Sponsor

How Do You Feel About Pleated Trousers?

• Love them, classic!

• Occasionally, depending on the outfit

• Prefer flat-front

• Never wear them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pharmavends