• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Ben Sherman clothing?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
There's a mod shop in CA IIRC that sells the made in UK BS stuff online, but I can't find it. I was thinking it was called Spirit of '69 or something like that. Paging GS...
I think you're thinking of Posers on Melrose, they have 2 separate storefronts, one is nearly all fred perry, the other is mostly ben sherman with some Merc and Lambretta mixed in. But they don't carry any UK line ben sherman
Originally Posted by Coulomb
there's a ben sherman store in the beverly center, los angeles ca
The BS store has the full range of US stock, but in general the US range is inferior to what they sell in the UK. They now have their "Signature" line which is a back to basics stuff based on their 60s heritage, which is similar to, but not as good as, back when they had their "vintage" line around 6 years ago.
Originally Posted by whacked
Get Smart's favorite online store, IIRC. A good source for Fred Perry stuff as well.
Yea, that site is great. They sell the UK range of Ben Sherman shirts which are 100% cotton, not poly blend, don't have the colored buttons that US shirts have (which is good), and have a taller 2" collar with a much better authentic roll to the buttondown, it doenst just lay flat like the US shirts. Stitching is also bit better and more detail oriented.

Mr Sola

Reaction score
The Dude has spoken

heyleroy

Reaction score
totally hit or miss...i can't stand the red/white/blue thing they do with most of their low end clothing (and that which is sold at virgin megastore
laugh.gif
) but i have seen some shoes and own a button down that i like a lot.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So do all the BS shirts have the name on the pocket? Have they always had that?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
So do all the BS shirts have the name on the pocket? Have they always had that?

They've always had it in one form or another. The older shirts had a tag that had the name, and more recently it's embroidered on, with one of 2 fonts for the name depending on when it was made (either brush script or the handwriting BS lettering)

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Well, maybe it didn't represent all of the brand's clothing, but I took a trip out to Macy's yesterday and the Ben Sherman section was pretty terrible.

SKJ

Reaction score
Ben Sherman is good! I'm a fan of BS.
BS is not pricy as band of outsiders,
(few seem like they are unreasonably expensive)
nevertheless their fits are more than okay.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SKJ
BS is not pricy as band of outsiders,

Yea, if you go with the 60s styled BS they are very similar to the s/s shirts that BoO and Thom Browne are making, but at a realistic price. As much as I like BoO (mostly because I appreciate their concept and inspiration) it's hard to justify spending $170 for a s/s shirt from them that fits similar to a Ben Sherman buttondown that I can get from UK for $65 shipped

and for me Ben Sherman has the same cache that, say, Cadillac has for someone in their 70s. old habits die hard

There was a time when getting a Ben Sherman shirt was a life changing, monumental occasion.

usctrojan99

Reaction score
Ben Sherman clothes always seem to find their way to Nordstrom Rack, which is why i hate paying retail for them. They make decent stuff. I like them A LOT more than Robert Graham (I'm not a big fan of this company).

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by usctrojan99
Ben Sherman clothes always seem to find their way to Nordstrom Rack.

true, same with other discounters like Burlington & Loehmanns but it's never the style that I get from them. usually more clubwear styled, at least around here

usctrojan99

Reaction score
Get Smart,
I agree with you. They make some pretty decent club wear shirts. The only problem is that I see 2-3 other people wearing the same shirt. I guess the same can be said with several other brands (banana, 7 diamonds, etc.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads