• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Aldo's Mr. B Line and a Regular Aldo shoe?

mixedmajik

Reaction score
The Mr. B Line for aldo seems to be bridging a gap between crap and AE quality...sitting in between...still not half of AE quality...but on a budget...seems like its an option...What do you guys think of some of their stuff?

http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/sale/men/mr-bs

I think this "Adams" shoe (which has run out of its grey, walnut, and green colour...is their best seller...and it seems to have good specs...leather soles (which I assume can be resoled) and uppers...good ratings...for a good price...I think 70 bucks or something right now on sale. They don't have this in the Canadian aldo site (still 110 bucks on our site [if they did, I'd have tried it myself])...so I was wondering what your impressions were on the quality of this new line?

Also...on the Canadian site, this is what we have for 70 bucks by contrast (and no, we can't order from the US site in canada)...they're not quite the adams in walnut as I had hoped but I was just wondering as my first introductory wingtip/dressier shoe if this shoe looks decent (not amazing)...Has a leather sole and such so it looks like it can be resoled...also has a walnut type colour...and unlike other shoes I actually know my aldo size since thats the only real shoe store within about 1 and a half hours from me...so only place I've really tried shoes on. Does this seem like a good idea for my needs (testing waters of dressier shoes)? Like I said...I jumped up more because it states leather soles and uppers....Thanks guys. I hope the shoes come with laces lol. This isn't a Mr. B shoe though, a regular aldo...but specs look nice. Cheers.

Last edited:

HughJ

Reaction score
You'd be better served being patient and saving up for something else IMHO, unless you are in a bind and need shoes right away. These are certainly less offensive looking than the typical Aldo offerings, but that isn't saying much. They are still in the realm of disposable shoes in terms of quality, and might not age well.

edit: Have you checked the B&S forum yet?

Last edited:

mixedmajik

Reaction score
Yeah I have...maybe I'll wait longer....they don't typically get as low as 70 bucks and lower in great quality...the last ones I saw like that were around the 2011 deals haha....also for higher end shoes...I don't know what "last" I am and I'm not nearly close enough to a store that can check for me...so wouldn't it be even riskier?

HughJ

Reaction score
I can sympathize as in a way I'm in the same boat, but shop and try things on in my travels. Unless you are in a very rural area, you'd be surprised how many menswear stores stock AE (to at least get an idea of your size). I have ordered them blindly and had good luck despite my wider than average feet, though they were not among my first pairs.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have...maybe I'll wait longer....they don't typically get as low as 70 bucks and lower in great quality...the last ones I saw like that were around the 2011 deals haha....also for higher end shoes...I don't know what "last" I am and I'm not nearly close enough to a store that can check for me...so wouldn't it be even riskier?

I'm curious myself (actually, based on on of your posts in another thread). There was a long thread on here about their Blake boots that I found. The quality isn't really there, it seems. I'd buy a pair if there was a really nice sale on a model I liked the looks of -- maybe. There's one model that's hit $41, and if one of the shoes I like the looks of hits that kind of price in a few months, I might just go for it. For full price, they're in the same territory as Goodyear-welted Florsheims, and I'd much rather have those. I don't know what Florsheim's sale deals are like, though.

Here's the other thread:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/266772/mr-bs-blake-boots-vs-grenson-sharp-fred/0_30

mixedmajik

Reaction score
@hugh Yeah my feet are just narrower than average so I'm on the opposite end of the scale. Considering I'm only 19 I don't travel a lot and in Canada I think Harry Rosen or some place in Toronto is the only place with AE shoes and thats about 3 hours away from me and I'm a full time student in university...don't really have much time to be taking day trips like this. Also my parents in summertime don't go down to toronto often (haven't been there in maybe 2 years aside from maybe going to the airport) and definitely won't take me just to try on shoes I won't buy you know? So I'm between a rock and hard place with shoes up north. To give you an idea of my area though...lets just say the price sperry boat shoes at $150 and I think it's...Clark's near 160 or 170 for a lace up pair...thats how exotic those brands are to us...online is my only real option...I was surprised that my mother was able to find sperries at 80 bucks in the states when she went before and then I found out that was the normal price haha...hence why now I've been actively following some blogs and joined styleforum so I don't ever get scammed shopping in my own area...plus as I said we don't have much to begin with so I can find deals here and online maybe if I'm lucky. Maybe I'll browse the AE site and just pick a last that says slightly narrow and hope to have the same luck as you

@YRR Yes sorry I know i did mention it somewhere else but I don't think I got a response (i think I asked in quick questions)...I think this is the best we've got in Canada. To be honest with you...I think their sale prices should be the REGULAR prices....that would make more sense to me... I know Florsheim sales are quite good. I originally wanted to get some Florsheim Chase shoes for 59.99 on sale (which is still not a great shoe for most of you guys but to me, considering where I am...I likely won't find better) but the issue with that was import duties to canada...that raised the price to 99.99...so the sale was negligible for me. If you live in America though, I think you'll like the sale prices on Florsheim. There is also the new Amazon myhabit which is actually running a sale for Florsheim shoes right now. Not a lot of people took myhabit seriously so if you can find those sales you likely can save a lot of money a lot of people wouldn't realize they could save. They slash those prices well. They're having a Florsheim, John Lennon, and some other name shoe brand sale on myhabit right now...ending on the 18th I believe.

I looked through that thread and it seemed as though Mr. B's is copying Allen Edmonds styles with lesser leathers...how much lesser is the question that only long term reflections can answer I guess.

HughJ

Reaction score
Gotcha. So Laurentian? Or maybe Nippissing? If it helps, I have found AE lasts to be fairy middle of the road. I'll let you make up your own mind on the quality of leather, but I don't have high hopes based on the pictures.

mixedmajik

Reaction score
I'm at Queen's in 2nd year. If AE lasts are middle of the road i may as well wait for a good sale in the B&S. its not as if I'll be wearing AE in winter time...I always figured buying out of season is cheaper though hence why I seem more rushed than I probably should be. My feet are still having an identity crisis with size. Measuring size 10 but feeling lose in many size 10 shoes if i dont put inserts in them...I fit into most 9.5 pretty well but the brannock never puts me below a 10...even in store...so I dont know whats up with that haha.

As for quality of leather...seeing as I cant tell the difference between merlot, cordovan and burgundy yet...seeing the difference in whats good and bad leather is still a longshot. I'm learning...but ill take your word for it from what you saw in the pics. Its better than my word.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm at Queen's in 2nd year. If AE lasts are middle of the road i may as well wait for a good sale in the B&S. its not as if I'll be wearing AE in winter time...I always figured buying out of season is cheaper though hence why I seem more rushed than I probably should be. My feet are still having an identity crisis with size. Measuring size 10 but feeling lose in many size 10 shoes if i dont put inserts in them...I fit into most 9.5 pretty well but the brannock never puts me below a 10...even in store...so I dont know whats up with that haha.

As for quality of leather...seeing as I cant tell the difference between merlot, cordovan and burgundy yet...seeing the difference in whats good and bad leather is still a longshot. I'm learning...but ill take your word for it from what you saw in the pics. Its better than my word.

In terms of leather colors, merlot, cordovan, and burgundy are different names for the same thing -- though "cordovan" is also a separate type of leather, which I assure you, you'd be able to spot. Learn the difference between corrected grain leather and full-grain.

Are you checking your width on the Brannock? I get a 9 narrow on that, but wear a lot of 8.5Ds.

mixedmajik

Reaction score
Yeah i do...my width is just under regular...so more in the 10C/10B range...whatever 3.35 inches wide equates to. But the confusion is with length, I'll measure a 10 on the Brannock and not even fit into all 10 shoes...mostly 9.5's. Worse yet...with no socks i wear an 8.5 in sperries so I dont think brannocks are the best way to go for me (and i never made the mistake of measuring before the evening). This is why im so hesistant to buy anything online. Considering many shoes have a break in also.

Will do some reading on corrected vs full grain leather before sleeping tonight. Thanks.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How thick are your socks? When I wore athletic socks all the time, I bought size 9.5 shoes -- also because I had no idea what I was doing. With dress socks, I'm swimming in those.

mixedmajik

Reaction score
I wore regular thickness black socks that are your typical walmart 6 in a pack black socks and measured roughly 10...then i measured in athletic sweatsocks that are kind of tight to your feet and still measured around the same...so the sock thickness might not be it. I had a store clerk at payless measure me in the same walmart black socks and tell me im slightly under regular width and around a 9.5/10 hard to tell. Tried on some bogus payless shoes just to test sizes and could fit into some 10s and some 9.5's...9's were a little uncomfortable but my foot could go in if i forced it a little painfully (with socks on, without i think i could have fit the 9 but i didnt take my socks off in store).

Since then i've assumed sperries run large and that my best bet to sockless is a size 9 (throw some insoles in there if I'm wrong about the sperry idea). My loafers that i wear with sucks currently are size 10 and I had to throw insoles to make it fit right. So I'm assuming size 9.5 (since if i am thinking 9 sockless, probably only .5 more with socks) but still not sure since the brannock has told me 10 on multiple occassions. Maybe the width is throwing things off as you mentioned...the loafers were labelled to be wide and i didnt even notice at the time.

Might have to just take a chance with it online and hope not to waste money which is whats held me back (never bought a shoe online due to this)

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore regular thickness black socks that are your typical walmart 6 in a pack black socks and measured roughly 10...then i measured in athletic sweatsocks that are kind of tight to your feet and still measured around the same...so the sock thickness might not be it. I had a store clerk at payless measure me in the same walmart black socks and tell me im slightly under regular width and around a 9.5/10 hard to tell. Tried on some bogus payless shoes just to test sizes and could fit into some 10s and some 9.5's...9's were a little uncomfortable but my foot could go in if i forced it a little painfully (with socks on, without i think i could have fit the 9 but i didnt take my socks off in store).

Since then i've assumed sperries run large and that my best bet to sockless is a size 9 (throw some insoles in there if I'm wrong about the sperry idea). My loafers that i wear with sucks currently are size 10 and I had to throw insoles to make it fit right. So I'm assuming size 9.5 (since if i am thinking 9 sockless, probably only .5 more with socks) but still not sure since the brannock has told me 10 on multiple occassions. Maybe the width is throwing things off as you mentioned...the loafers were labelled to be wide and i didnt even notice at the time.

Might have to just take a chance with it online and hope not to waste money which is whats held me back (never bought a shoe online due to this)

Yeah, the first thing you should do is start wearing dress socks if you're going to start wearing dress shoes. I buy Gold Toes, solid navy, $10 for four.

I'm not really qualified to offer advice on how shoes should fit, TBH. All lasts are different, though, and there really isn't a substitute for trying on the exact pair of shoes you're buying -- or at least something in the same last from the same manufacturer.

mixedmajik

Reaction score
Yeah ill be wearing dress socks next time...but i think ill shoot for 9.5 d or c for sock shoes and 9 for sockless and if too big, slip insoles in...if too small, hope for break in or toss before i get black toenails...had those before and never again.

And your advice has helped...so dont worry about thinking you shouldnt feel justified giving it. Its helped me...as has HughJ's. very grateful.

Varmant

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Aldo wearers are generally unaware of and must learn to practice the golden rule of never wearing the same shoes 2 days in a row, and at Aldo prices, they no longer have to. For a low end line, they are rather good looking and at a glance can easily fool the untrained eye into believing they are more expensive than they actually are. There was another thread on here about the Mr. B boots and they received glowing reviews. The link for which, you will find here : http://www.styleforum.net/t/266772/mr-bs-blake-boots-vs-grenson-sharp-fred

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads