• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking of a sky blue blazer next, need help.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll start by saying I'm not a colorful person by nature. In the trousers/jacket spectrum, I'm all grays and browns with an occasional taupe or khaki. For shirting it's all white plus light to navy blue, even a rich french blue, as well as some light lilac (which I've only recently talked myself into and found I like quite a lot).

My success with lilac has opened some mental doors regarding color a bit further and I'm thinking about a sky/baby blue blazer. The problem is, I can't see me wearing it with anything other than a white shirt. Sure, I've seen other pics of it paired with bright pastels, but since I'm not up for those yet they aren't combos that would work for me.

I'm interested in ideas/pics/or just convincing (either in or out of) given my parameters. Is this a great next step in the wardrobe that opens a lot of possibilities or is it something that sounds great on paper but just sits in the closet?

ps I happen to live in FL where we have summer weather 50% more than the rest of the country, so I'm thinking a nice light version can get lots of play.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suggest think again - those colours verge on costume.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was in a store this weekend and stumbled across a baby blue blazer similar to what I had been considering. Tried it on, took one look in the mirror and decided it definitely was not "me".

/thread

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
I can't see me wearing it with anything other than a white shirt.

So buy it and only wear it with a white shirt. A sky blue sport-coat is certainly not very versatile, but who cares about versatility if you enjoy wearing it occasionally.

I bought a light blue linen sportcoat from Uniqlo a while back, but it was too large so I had to return it
frown.gif

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I tried on a sky blue sportcoat last week. it was great. Definitely not something id wear every week, but looked great with the glenplaid trousers and white shirt i had on. id go for it. but only wear it with a white shirt...I cant really think of any other color that would look good.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perhaps this is moot now, but a blue and white striped shirt also might work, especially if the stripes are lighter than the coat. Whereas a white shirt plays up the brightness of the blue, the right stripe mutes it a bit. Pair with navy tie or open collar for a casual summery look that's less theatrical than you might think.

emptym

Reaction score
I have a light blue coat and I wear it w/ red and white checked or striped shirts.
Originally Posted by GBR
Suggest think again - those colours verge on costume.
Which colors do you mean?

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is an example and I think it looks rather awesome. I don't think it's costumey at all. From Vox I think; I also really like this light blue gingham

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Perhaps this is moot now, but a blue and white striped shirt also might work, especially if the stripes are lighter than the coat. Whereas a white shirt plays up the brightness of the blue, the right stripe mutes it a bit. Pair with navy tie or open collar for a casual summery look that's less theatrical than you might think.

Yeah in the photo above it looks like the stripes are a shade or two darker than the jacket and a greyer (cooler) blue

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I think that's Maomao.

Yeah the photo does look different to Vox now you mention it. I tend to just save photos under their original names as I'm lazy, but in different folders according to colour and Winter and Summer.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight

That's actually the exact jacket I was contemplating (from Charles Tyrwhitt) . One point about it, in the other pics with the gentleman wearing it, the blue is much more subdued - it looks more like a washed out gray than blue. That was a turnoff for me since, at the time, I was really considering a blue to be, well, a blue. Geez, this thread got no play over the weekend. The single negative reply and overwhelming crickets helped me write off the idea as loony. Now, with all the return interest (geez, even after I /thread !) I'm rethinking it. Maybe that blue blazer I tried on just wasn't the one...

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
That's actually the exact jacket I was contemplating (from Charles Tyrwhitt) . One point about it, in the other pics with the gentleman wearing it, the blue is much more subdued - it looks more like a washed out gray than blue. That was a turnoff for me since, at the time, I was really considering a blue to be, well, a blue.

Geez, this thread got no play over the weekend. The single negative reply and overwhelming crickets helped me write off the idea as loony. Now, with all the return interest (geez, even after I /thread !) I'm rethinking it. Maybe that blue blazer I tried on just wasn't the one...

Have you tried on the CT light gingham jacket? Their return policy is excellent for the UK at least, if it's similar in the US I'd order one and see how the colour compares to the photo. I'd be interested to hear !

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads