• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other than its permanence, which for me means I better be as certain as possible that it’s something I really love, I don’t see a tattoo as different from any other aesthetic decision (e.g. a piece of art for my home, nice clothes, etc.). I like the way my tattoos look and what they represent to me.

Idea for a tattoo:
我喜欢毒品

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Translation please?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the permanence is part of the aesthetic i think...

Which is something I've never understood.

People typically change their tastes in clothes, music, furnishings, hair-styles and so on as they age - why would your taste concerning the art on your skin be any different from your taste concerning the clothing, hair or the art on your walls? I really, really hate to think of how I'd look if I'd been tattooed when I was in my late teens or early twenties.

I do cringe a bit when I see young hipsters walking around with a big tattoo of Mickey Mouse or some other pop culture figure on their calf. Sure, it might seem cool now, but when you turn 30 and realise that it's not so hip and ironic to have a cartoon mouse on your leg, you can't just change it like you change your clothes when you get tired of wearing them...

Then again, I guess that just means that I'm clearly not the sort of person who would ever get a tattoo!

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is something I've never understood.

People typically change their tastes in clothes, music, furnishings, hair-styles and so on as they age - why would your taste concerning the art on your skin be any different from your taste concerning the clothing, hair or the art on your walls? I really, really hate to think of how I'd look if I'd been tattooed when I was in my late teens or early twenties.

I do cringe a bit when I see young hipsters walking around with a big tattoo of Mickey Mouse or some other pop culture figure on their calf. Sure, it might seem cool now, but when you turn 30 and realise that it's not so hip and ironic to have a cartoon mouse on your leg, you can't just change it like you change your clothes when you get tired of wearing them...

Then again, I guess that just means that I'm clearly not the sort of person who would ever get a tattoo!

If you get something in a foreign language, it is timeless. Like "I dominate ****" in Japanese characters is clutch and ironic as ****, and will still look boss in 175 years. Trust me on this, I am an expert on everything.

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What genius decided to name a furniture brand “Lovesac?”

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Tattoos cause an interesting polarization.

FWIW, my neck tattoos have served me well.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nationwide commercials. **** they are annoying as ****. I don't need some random ******* singer singing some **** song about your goddamn insurance. **** you Nationwide.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, my neck tattoos have served me well.

You hipster! :tongue:

Personally, I don't mind if other people have tattoos - they're free to get them. I just question the wisdom to get your skin permanently embroidered, often at a young age, when people's tastes (and general trends) can change dramatically over the years.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People still drive around with those Bluetooth earpieces in 2018.

At this point, you’ve been made fun of enough that there’s no way you don’t know that they’re derided as the accessory for douchebags. And you’re driving around in a late model middle manager’s car like a A4/S4 or a 3 or 5-series...that all have Bluetooth audio.

So the only reason that thing is in your ear is to tell the world, hi guys! I’m a douchebag. Just wanted to let you know for your convenience. Amirite??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads