• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Can you explain to a farm-boy why this rule only applies to elevators and not other types of transportation?

I always let women and children out of subways and buses first too.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dont get why men insist on waiting for all females to exit the elevator first , even if some of them clearly blocking the exit and need to back up into the elevator to allow for this strange ritual to proceed.
What a misguided, redneck gallantry.
They only do it in elevators not on trains, not on subway, not on buses or ferries, nor planes, but only elevators. I also think it is specific to NY/NJ area, or is it?
WTF is wrong with you people?:D

It's called being a gentleman. I do this, it's how I was raised.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Add me to the list of people who let women off first. Though I am a redneck, so maybe the angry guy is right.

I use the handicap door opener in situations where I would otherwise be forced to come in contact with a germ infested door handle without protection.

I do the same. A quick tap of the elbow, or whatever, is better than grabbing a nasty door handle.

Last edited:

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can you explain to a farm-boy why this rule only applies to elevators and not other types of transportation?

It doesn't. You were born with balls and therefor you open doors, step aside when the elevator opens, insist in front of other lesser men that women and children go first, rescue cats in trees, blow up ballons, shovel the sidewalk if it snows, help people who are in need and leave the sinking ship last. If one wants to screw a woman you do the things that real men do.

SF is filled with men who wear ties on a work day and we should see to it that our "class" is presented in the correct light. We are not perfect but we are better than the rest of them.

It's called being a gentleman. I do this, it's how I was raised.

This is the rule.

Add me to the list of people who let women off first. Though I am a redneck, so maybe the angry guy is right.
I do the same. A quick tap of the elbow, or whatever, is better than grabbing a nasty door handle.

Hard to argue with the germ point but I'd rather not be judged as I judge those that appear to be dodging some physical effort. Call me a hard ass but if you can open the door to your car I think the door at a mall is within ones power. When I saw this occur the button is "far" out of the normal path one would take to arrive at the door/handle so the spectical of the event was such that it made it all the more comical. I guess if the space is narrow enough, time is not wasted and one is not making a back up whom am I to judge? (A Canuker that's who).

This said the germ issue is nothing to overlook.

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just think it is irrational and quite funny, that elevator habit. Possibly result of general misconception about good manners among population.

Last edited:

Lady Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just think it is irrational and quite funny, that elevator habit. Possibly result of general misconception about good manners among population.
If anyone has a misconception about good manners it's you. My Grandfather, who is 96 and is now confined to a wheelchair, still insists woman and children precede him through doors and out of elevators. It's the mark of a true Gentleman imo.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get Luddites who take the stairs when there is a perfectly good elevator available. What are we, cavemen?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I don't get Luddites who take the stairs when there is a perfectly good elevator available. What are we, cavemen?

INORITE? And why do people insist on walking around Walmarts when they have all those nice scooters with extra fat, er big, seats?

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

INORITE? And why do people insist on walking around Walmarts when they have all those nice scooters with extra fat, er big, seats?

Never actually seen that, I don't live in The United States of Fatsoland, but it sounds great.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I always let women and children out of subways and buses first too.
I spent the day in DC where I was talking to a woman 8-months pregnant that told me no one offers her a seat on the DC Metro when it's full. She is visibly pregnant, and guys sitting just look at her without offering her a seat. :confused:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I spent the day in DC where I was talking to a woman 8-months pregnant that told me no one offers her a seat on the DC Metro when it's full. She is visibly pregnant, and guys sitting just look at her without offering her a seat. :confused:

I largely, but not totally, blame this sort of bad manners on militant feminism.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a lady crawling on the treadmill at my gym. I'm not ninja qualified to get a pic but its weird.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If anyone has a misconception about good manners it's you. My Grandfather, who is 96 and is now confined to a wheelchair, still insists woman and children precede him through doors and out of elevators. It's the mark of a true Gentleman imo.

I am ONLY talking about STUPID things people do while misinterpreting rules of general etiquette.
If you stand in a full elevator with your face to the elevator door you should exit first instead of backing into the elevator in an attempt to comply with your misconstrued idea of gallantry. You are holding everyone up and making a scene, which has nothing to do with you being a gentleman but everything to do with you trying to mimic behavior of other gentleman-farmers.
The same way you should walk through the door FIRST and then hold it for your female colleagues instead of performing acrobatic, one-leg balancing acts in order to hold the door that opens inside.
You might consider all of this extremely touching and gentlemanly while I see a rube acting like a monkey.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads