• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i should have clarified. The events in my post actually did happen.

How is an event in a post? What sutures this event--itself an anomaly, something that has been defined, cut, and estranged from the flow of time and from the spatial world around it--to its annunciation? This is, of course, an incarnational understanding of Flesh and Word united. Yet might we not understand L'Incandescent's "posts" as more accurately "pres," as signaling an open-ended messianic temporality? His posts are absurd, but in the future, events may or may not arrive to be "in" his posts--to have been revealed as already having been "in" his posts all along. This is messianism without a messiah. Or, if you prefer, online posting without the safety net of a claim to truth or verifiability in a world that is sundered, rendered untenable by that very claim.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If gift certificates are less fungible than cash, why don't they sell for a discount? Why do I have to pay $200 to get a $200 gift certificate?

I hate gift cards. I always end up with like $5.83 left on them, and it's a pain to zero them out so they never get used. They're just laughing all the way to the bank. That lack of fungibility is how they double-dip on making money on those damn things.

I've been getting Visa Gift Cards recently and I just use them to buy Amazon gift cards. They get applied to my Amazon account and then can just get spent as a credit and not as a form of payment. Much easier to zero out.

Also, fungibility is a great word.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i should have clarified. The events in my post actually did happen.

you're starting to sound like Booth's recent facebook activities, although with much better sentence composition.

Almost all of my posts are about real-life happenings, even though I describe them in ways that aren't meant to be taken literally. I just try to capture the sense of the happenings in my words (chasing after what eludes signification).

Also, pB has been producing high quality FB posts as of late can't even be gainsaid (true event).

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's a guy where I work whose shoes always squeak as he walks past my office. I know perfectly well who he is as he walks past on account of the squeaking noise. But irregardless, I usually look out my door to see who is walking past. I wonder why I do that? (Probably something to do with the bar that bars the way from signifier to signified or something like that.)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If gift certificates are less fungible than cash, why don't they sell for a discount? Why do I have to pay $200 to get a $200 gift certificate?

There are many sites online that sell gift cards at a discount (dedicated sites and places like ebay). Those are from regular people...but it reflects the true value of the gift card.

Also, most companies sell their gift cards to other companies at a discount. That's why walgreens has an endcap filled with giftcards to various chains, and why coinstar machines will pay out higher rates on an amazon gift card than a cash voucher...because they still make money selling a $50 gift card for $50.

like this: https://www.raise.com/buy-macy-s-gi...Y-BvaoJrZeweR.BG8WUfnwag&LSNPUBID=lw9MynSeamY

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Store credits are worse, I got an $800 one to a shop that sold 2 brands, I returned a product from one (due to it being faulty and ****) and didn't want anything from the other, so long story short it costed me $250 to own a G-Lab coat for 24 hours and oh yeah **** NAG Copenhagen, I hope your shop burns down and all the employees loose just enough of their arms, so they can't dry their ass.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have to start "dialing back" my Facebook posts as my mother had words with me recently (spanked me).

Did she "spank" you because of the quantity of your posts or because of the content?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads