• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
Sorry about that - it was more in response to kwilk's comment re: me subsidizing his drinks, which would be true if he were located in SF. Seriously though, thanks for the advice. Would have never thought to keep frequenting a place to establish a good rapport with bartenders which would in turn lead to free drinks. Seems so elementary, and yet....

Hey don't make me the bad guy. You're harshing my buzz, man.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry about that - it was more in response to kwilk's comment re: me subsidizing his drinks, which would be true if he were located in SF. Seriously though, thanks for the advice. Would have never thought to keep frequenting a place to establish a good rapport with bartenders which would in turn lead to free drinks. Seems so elementary, and yet....
That was my comment - but it's okay. I have had many a drink in SFO - do you go to the place on Kearny with the barrels outside? Starts with an R, but I can't remember the name... AWESOME whiskey bar. .. relatively new.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Hey don't make me the bad guy. You're harshing my buzz, man.

Hey, if I'm subsidizing that buss, I'll harsh it as I please.

Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
That was my comment - but it's okay.

I have had many a drink in SFO - do you go to the place on Kearny with the barrels outside? Starts with an R, but I can't remember the name... AWESOME whiskey bar. .. relatively new.

I think you might be referring to Rickhouse - run by the same guys that do Bourbon & Branch. No, I've never been there, but I've heard good things. Will have to check out.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
That was my comment - but it's okay.

I have had many a drink in SFO - do you go to the place on Kearny with the barrels outside? Starts with an R, but I can't remember the name... AWESOME whiskey bar. .. relatively new.

Rickhouse?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the one.. great bar.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Imitation Whipped Cream Flavored Vodka"
whipped.jpg
The apocalypse is now.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That everytime I order a cocktail outside of the regular ones, it always comes on the rocks. Hell even a sidecar came on the rocks recently.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^
baldy[1].gif

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
That everytime I order a cocktail outside of the regular ones, it always comes on the rocks. Hell even a sidecar came on the rocks recently.
No ****. Two nights ago I was at the bar of a relatively upscale restaurant and was served a sidecar made with sour mix
ffffuuuu.gif
on the rocks
ffffuuuu.gif
with a maraschino cherry
ffffuuuu.gif
. I asked to at least have it strained into a cocktail glass and the bartender asked, "Oh, you want it like a martini?"
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Wow.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
^ Wow.
This is a relatively common occurrence down here. I don't even bother with mixed drinks any longer unless I'm at the bar of a very nice restaurant/hotel. So, I don't even bother with mixed drinks any longer.

jobro

Reaction score
Yesterday, while at a bar in SF, I ordered an Eagle Rare 10yr, neat. Cost? $12. I'd say this is pretty much the going rate for a glass of "premium" whiskey at a bar. A standard 750ml bottle contains about 25 ounces. Figure a standard "glass" of whiskey has about 1.5oz -2oz in it. So, on average, a standard bottle will yield about 14 "glasses." At the going rate of about $12/glass, we're talking $168/bottle. Now, bear in mind that this bottle only retails for about $30. So, we're talking a nearly 6x mark-up from retail. Seriously, what the ****??? For pouring a glass of whiskey? What a total scam.

There is not a single Bar here in Perth that is supposed to pour more than 1oz (30ml) into a glass for a standard whiskey. Some prices I remember paying/seeing for whiskey are $19 for a Glenfiddich 18YO, $90 for a Macallan 30YO and $75 for a Glenmorangie Signet - all 30ml.

Other things that piss me off are:
  • Establishments that tell their customers what they want and don't cater to the customers wants. At all. Wedge of lime with a coke - "Sorry we don't do that here".

• Complete smoking bans in outdoor areas of bars/clubs (exception - no more than 50% of outdoor area is to be designated smoking, and guess what its in the corner without a table or chair in sight), cigar shops and tobacconists (not that there is more than one in Perth), clubs and restaurants.

• Bars that cannot mix any drinks. I'm not talking about a cocktail monstrosity, just a simple Martini, Manhattan or Old Fashion will suffice.

• Clubs without decor. Yes, sometimes I may want to dance but after a long day at work I want to relax and sit down, especially if I've been standing around at a packed pub/bar beforehand. A table to put drinks on (while standing) would be a move in the right direction.

• The majority of restaurants and bars that serve up $40-50 scotch fillet steaks or other mains and don't even include a glimpse of vegetables or side.

• Shelling out an extra $15 for some vegetables or steamed potatoes for said steak.

• Coffee at restaurants. I hope your coffee beans aren't as old as your food produce.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
While we're on the topic of bars charging obscene prices for liquor - there is a new local joint here advertising a service industry night special: $99 for a bottle of Tito's Vodka.

I threw up a little in my mouth when I read that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics