• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've always maintained we need more people in the US going to vocational schools and learning trades. All these kids are going to private colleges to major in useless degrees, racking up tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars and then becoming chronically underemployed because they don't know what to do with their lives.

I get a little frustrated whenever I stumble upon a reddit thread where everyone jerks each other off with the tears of how they're all applying for jobs and not getting any call backs and whatnot: "oh, I submitted my resume to hundreds of portals!" Okay, but is your resume polished? Is it formatted in an amateurish, ****** way that says you barely know Microsoft word despite putting MS Office down as a high proficiency skill?

Go out and ******* network. Talk to people. Get people to pass your resume around internally. Don't just submit your ******* resume into an online blackhole and hope for the best. Be more proactive goddammit.

I agree. The whole "no child left behind" idea that everybody needs to go to college is bullshit. Debt up to your eyeballs, or worse, debt and drop out with no skills over learning to be a carpenter, or plumber with zero debt and earning a good living out of school.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whilst I'm ranting on.....................

America, you now have a Multi Billionaire
(president elect) who has an axe to grind, with access to all the hardware in Area 51/CIA Intel etc etc

Bruce Wayne and the Batcave???

or

Dr Evil??

Discuss

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I find myself wearing denim now on weekends even to places I would have formerly worn odd trousers and a sports coat to. I think I am getting less dressy with age.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whilst I'm ranting on.....................

America, you now have a Multi Billionaire
(president elect) who has an axe to grind, with access to all the hardware in Area 51/CIA Intel etc etc

Bruce Wayne and the Batcave???

or

Dr Evil??

Discuss

Wheeee! it's like the McLaughlin Group for children and dimwits.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Am I the only person that really hates how the Current Events forum is structured right now? I've come back after a long absence and basically all the discussion is consolidated into a bunch of long "topical" threads. Relative to five years ago, the board is a graveyard with like ten posters who just toss one liners back and forth. The problem is that when you open the forum, you never know what people are specifically talking about, and it makes immediate, targeted discussion impossible. The only way to keep track of the what's being talked about in the forum is to follow every gigantic thread so closely that you know what's presumably going on in each on a given day without a headline to tell you. If we had a new thread for each headline in the news like it used to be, you could discern what was being talked about as soon as you open the forum and get over that hurdle. For instance, there's about five thread-worthy things Donald Trump does every day, and I probably only care about one of them. I want to open the forum and see the specific thread with that headline. Ultimately, seeing a bit of activity in five threads with no clue as to what's inside them makes me give up and leave the forum.

Is this the write place to ***** about this?

Last edited:

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dining and travel forum is like that. No one actually discusses travel there, and I think it is because no one looks there because 5-10 mega threads are always the most recently replies to threads.

I generally feel that mega threads have a tendency to screw up a forum. I don't really have the answer.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Am I the only person that really hates how the Current Events forum is structured right now? I've come back after a long absence and basically all the discussion is consolidated into a bunch of long "topical" threads. Relative to five years ago, the board is a graveyard with like ten posters who just toss one liners back and forth. The problem is that when you open the forum, you never know what people are specifically talking about, and it makes immediate, targeted discussion impossible. The only way to keep track of the what's being talked about in the forum is to follow every gigantic thread so closely that you know what's presumably going on in each on a given day without a headline to tell you. If we had a new thread for each headline in the news like it used to be, you could discern what was being talked about as soon as you open the forum and get over that hurdle. For instance, there's about five thread-worthy things Donald Trump does every day, and I probably only care about one of them. I want to open the forum and see the specific thread with that headline. Ultimately, seeing a bit of activity in five threads with no clue as to what's inside them makes me give up and leave the forum.

Back in the days you're talking about people used to actually complain about what you're saying you prefer and I think that's how the mega-threads started to develop. Yet another demonstration that it's impossible to please everyone.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is why I mostly post in here now. I generally follow a few mega threads, but they move so fast I find it hard to keep up. Non CE things like thrift, ebay, Alden, and Allen Edmonds drew me into the forum but now they moved almost 2 - 3 pages a day. If I miss a day, its impossible to keep up.

So I usually just hang around these parts rolling my eyes at greenfrogs homophobic and penis jokes.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Thinking back, I think Conne's Grim Reaper thread was one of the first mega threads and was pinned for quite some time. People complained about him starting a new thread whenever someone of note passed. Here are the first two posts in that thread from seven years ago:

This will be a consolidated obituary thread in which I will try to do two things: One, post links to obituaries of interesting people. Two, provide a justification in regards to why I think they are (well, were!) important.

Oh, wow, MUCH better way of doing this. Thanks.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Back in the days you're talking about people used to actually complain about what you're saying you prefer and I think that's how the mega-threads started to develop. Yet another demonstration that it's impossible to please everyone.

I think some of it started happening after the forum redesign. I basically only check threads that I have saved. Navigating the forum was a mess for awhile, especially when the spambots were running rampant.

CE is kind of a special case because there are so few posters.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

The dining and travel forum is like that. No one actually discusses travel there, and I think it is because no one looks there because 5-10 mega threads are always the most recently replies to threads.

I generally feel that mega threads have a tendency to screw up a forum. I don't really have the answer.

pretty much happened in swd as well. fok has been trying to keep things a bit more organized, but what that means is when conversations get rolling (5-10 posts in row about a topic in the random thoughts thread) he squirrels them off into a separate thread. the intent, as i gather, is to keep topics in appropriate silos so new users can more easily access relevant/valuable information without having to sift through tens of thousands of pages of unrelated content. In reality it just kills the conversation because nobody follows up in the new thread. i as well don't have the answer.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doesnt feel like winter at all and it's Crimmus time. Another delayed season where it's cold until late April?

:fu:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have this painful lump on my wrist where the thumb meets my wrist. I can wiggle it around and it doesn't seem to be attached to my joint or anything, but I am afraid it is a synovial sarcoma or something. It is right where I have had this bulgy vein for years. Maybe it was just bumped or something and now inflamed, but who knows. Not sure what to do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads