• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My grad school gave the professors a choice between a defined benefit and a 401k style plan. The DB was something like 60% of your high 3. Back in the 90s, a number of them switched (irrevocably) to the 401k plan to try and catch the rising bubble. Didn't work out so well.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

My grad school gave the professors a choice between a defined benefit and a 401k style plan. The DB was something like 60% of your high 3. Back in the 90s, a number of them switched (irrevocably) to the 401k plan to try and catch the rising bubble. Didn't work out so well.

Assuming the university remains solvent through their retirement, at least.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

When I was in the MPA program, I had a personnel management class taught by a guy who is considered one of the top scholars in the field, which included a major paper that represented something like half of our grade. In a class toward the end of the semester, he mentioned the two plans and talked about what a poor decision he'd made when he chose the 401k over the DB.

After that discussion, I looked over at a friend of mine to discover a look on his face that I can only describe as a combination of terror and utter regret. I asked him what was wrong, and, in a sheepish tone, he said, "I wrote my paper on the university's retirement plan and how stupid all of the professors who chose the 401k over the DB are."

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rio de Janeiro buses seem like they have no suspension, racing brakes, and short ratio manual transmissions. they've beaten the **** out of me every time I've taken a ride

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

When I was in the MPA program, I had a personnel management class taught by a guy who is considered one of the top scholars in the field, which included a major paper that represented something like half of our grade. In a class toward the end of the semester, he mentioned the two plans and talked about what a poor decision he'd made when he chose the 401k over the DB.

After that discussion, I looked over at a friend of mine to discover a look on his face that I can only describe as a combination of terror and utter regret. I asked him what was wrong, and, in a sheepish tone, he said, "I wrote my paper on the university's retirement plan and how stupid all of the professors who chose the 401k over the DB are."

I took a course from the MPA program while doing my MPH. The prof was a huge liberal (surprise!) and had been active in the federal Adminstation on Aging, helped write the Older Americans Act under LBJ (yeah, he was a geezer by then) and basically was just a left wing pro-geezer type guy. My term paper for him was titled "AARP: Saint or Satan?" The answer was Satan. Got an A+ and he said he never gave those out. :laugh:

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I do not approve of Americans suddenly caring about the World Cup in droves. I 100% blame ******* soccer moms for this.

what gets me are the instant san antonio spurs fans here. (most of the ones I see are moms too). **** these F***ers they even give live commentary of the game on fb.

+++++

pissing me off: think my wife's niece is anorexic. too long a story, but sudden and drastic weight loss, kinda bad skin, they can't explain why this is happening, and I think during dinner sunday night at their family's place she purged her dinner. hope I'm wrong, but I'm no dummy. she's only 17 y.o... I think she needs to talk to a professional.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you mean? americans have always cared about World Cup. They just don't care about it the other 3 years and 11 months

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@indesertum, yeah, we've got tickets to a few of them. already attended the Argentina opener.

Americans care about the World Cup like we care about the Olympics. they care a lot, but not while it's not here, like you said. we also have not been relevant to the point that we expect to make it out of group stages until recently, which implies that we are a front running nation, I guess :laugh:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

[COLOR=FF00AA]what gets me are the instant san antonio spurs fans here.[/COLOR] (most of the ones I see are moms too). **** these F***ers they even give live commentary of the game on fb.

+++++

pissing me off: think my wife's niece is anorexic. too long a story, but sudden and drastic weight loss, kinda bad skin, they can't explain why this is happening, and I think during dinner sunday night at their family's place she purged her dinner. hope I'm wrong, but I'm no dummy. she's only 17 y.o... I think she needs to talk to a professional.

I think that had to do with wanting the Heat to lose more that the Spurs.....

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What do you mean? americans have always cared about World Cup. They just don't care about it the other 3 years and 11 months

I 'm always baffled football never really took off in the States...

Young athletes continue to choose Football or Baseball ..

With the amount of Central and South Americans living there, the potential is there to have a great league attracting young promising US stars..

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rio de Janeiro buses seem like they have no suspension, racing brakes, and short ratio manual transmissions. they've beaten the **** out of me every time I've taken a ride

I got pick pocketed in a Rio bus :bigstar: they didn't steal anything - we had to take the bus, because the wife and I spent all our last cash at the Hippie Fare in Ipanema, but damn they managed to open my pacsafe bag (every damn zipper and flap) in less than 15 seconds.

rio was awesome, but most of the time was disappointed about how much dinners cost there. Porcao? I spent over $300 just for my wife and I and we didn't even drink. Pizza that was meh? $60!

I did have some epic meals there too that were great, but for me Brazil was more about the super diverse people and energy. It was like a rainforest jungle-ized hilly version of Miami with the same beaches.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I 'm always baffled football never really took off in the States...

[COLOR=FF00AA]Young athletes continue to choose Football or Baseball ..[/COLOR]

With the amount of Central and South Americans living there, the potential is there to have a great league attracting young promising US stars..

You ever see what you can make playing baseball/football vs the MLS?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads