• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Posting here just because I first brought it up here: doctors say my mother didn't have a stroke at all and that she should be just fine. Sincere thanks again to all of you who posted encouraging words.

Her husband had a minor stroke (for real) about two weeks ago, and she had very similar symptoms. That's why she was so worried.

I hope she will be better very soon..

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Big day today, said our last goodbyes to father in law, dad and grandad Gordon. Great man.

Difficult to deal with, to say the least.

I'm so sorry to hear that.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Big day today, said our last goodbyes to father in law, dad and grandad Gordon. Great man.

My sympathies!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Posting here just because I first brought it up here: doctors say my mother didn't have a stroke at all and that she should be just fine. Sincere thanks again to all of you who posted encouraging words.

Her husband had a minor stroke (for real) about two weeks ago, and she had very similar symptoms. That's why she was so worried.

glad to hear it

sorry for your loss

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hello gents, I haven't been around for a while. thought that I would check in.

I had some annoying news a while back, and I think that was distracting me off some of my normal day to day stuff, and kept me off of the forum to some extent.

I work in a company of about 300 employees, 100 million sales. I have 5 direct peers. about 2 months ago, my boss called me and said "we need to talk" so I met her right away off site for a short meeting. basically, she told me that 4 of the 6 of us were being promoted, in tittle only, to VP (we were all directors). I wasn't one of them. it wouldn't change our reporting structure or responsibilities, but just the tittle. I was, to put it mildly, hugely pissed off. it would be announced soon and she wanted me to know face to face.

the first feedback I got was that I was "phenominal" at the "operational" elements of my job - I produce, I grow sales, I lead my team well, I manage my partners "phenomenally". my weakness ? "planning" and providing other departments with information that they need to do their jobs.

I ranted a little, and then asked to meet with my CEO, to get his feedback. my boss set up the meeting. I was exceptionally confused - I am, of my peers, the best producer. I would say that it could be argued I am the best "planner" as well.

I met with the CEO, and said "all I want is to understand where you feel that there is a weakness in my performance, because obviously you think that there is something that needs improvement". he basically said "you should get this from your boss". I spent 90 minutes in his office grilling him and trying to get feedback, not getting a lot more than my boss had told me. so I set another meeting with my boss right away.

her basic feedback was that her terminology was poor the first time - that my planning wasn't weak, that I wasn't feeding information to the other departments (engineering, tech support and manufacturing) that was felt needed for them to do there jobs. also, I wasn't initiating and managing cross departmental projects, I had a tendency to do things with my team or to try to hire outside consultants, leading to a perception of being a poor team player. or, to be accurate - I do not play well with others. "while this is fine for a director, it is less acceptable for a VP".

again, I wasn't terribly happy. part of the problem was, also, that my boss was having a lot of trouble finding examples of this, she was really struggling to find examples, but she was saying that this was the perception that the board had of me, probably from rumors that went around the company - that I was arrogant, that I didn't value other people's work as much as my team's, that I didn't trust some people in the company, that I wanted things done my way. unfortunately, it was all pretty much true.

so, I really wasn't sure what to do. part of this was emotional - I hated to be the guy who didn't get promoted. part of it was worried if it would impact my reporting structure in the future. I like the job and the company, and I like my boss. my family loves where we live. so, I had a lot to think about.

I decided to attack this in a couple of ways - I interviewed and hired a coach, I wanted one who was from the Midwest, and shared similar cultural values with my company and it's employees. I figured I needed some guidance in how to talk and interact with Midwesterners. I suggested to my boss that we execute a 360 survey on me, and then put together a goal for improving the scores, with a second 360 coming in 1 year. if I have reached the improvement goal in terms of the perception of my co-workers, then my boss would give me a letter of recommendation to the board to promote me.

I also put together a plan for being more active, politically, in the company. I have gotten very comfortable going into the office very little, and not getting involved with the gossip or the day to day in the office. I don't self promote at all. I need to do a little more of that. I had gotten lazy with it.

lastly - I need to work on improving my technology/administrative skills. I am so overwhelmed by paperwork, that I don't get as much done as I'd like to. so I also hired a tutor for that.

the company is paying for the tutor and for the coach, which shows their commitment, as well.

anyway, so after about 6 weeks of being very confused and angry about all that, I am now feeling a lot better about it, and I feel I am on the right path.

so, that is my ****, now I hope to be around a little bit more.

'

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Glad to see you back!

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Globe, I empathize - the main feedback I get too is that I too work too independently, get the job done, and don't self promote. I also hate doing the stuff that takes a lot of time but doesn't get the job closer to being done - like presentations and updates, which are important in other ways.

We are in two different situations, but my reaction to this news was to decide that I eventually need to be my own boss and play more to my strengths. This probably doesn't help you at all but you're not alone in this

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads