• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeah, it crossed my mind to go to a walk-in. I just took a crazy hot shower, and that went a long way toward making it feel better. I was getting to the point where I was tensing my whole back to compensate for the pain, and the heat seems to have relaxed most of that. The missus is out buying a heating pad, so I'm gonna try NSAIDs and heat for a bit to see if that works. If not, I guess it's off to a doc in a box.

This isn't the first time I've had this type of pain, but it has been quite awhile. I'd forgotten how much it hurts.

You have to take NSAIDs consistently every several hours to see good effect. Alternate 30 min bw heat pad and ice pack. Really helped me.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So heating pads don't get hot anymore? This is a thing? We had an old one that broke a few years back, and it got super hot. Like, can't-touch-your-skin hot. We replaced it, and the replacement didn't get hot, so we thought it was broken. The one MrsG brought back today has the same "problem," and a Google search points to this being how they all are now.

What the ****? Is this country really so ******* stupid and litigious that I can't even have a hot heating pad anymore?

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wha? I have a heating pad for target that's burn your skin hot. Do you microwave it? You probably already tried heating it longer

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Microwave it? It's electric; it's supposed to heat up on its own.

I had it on for probably 20 minutes, and I noticed that it didn't feel anything but warm, so I started Googling. It seems to be pretty common now that heating pads just don't get hot.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I gave in and went to a walk-in clinic.

Actually, I went to three. The first was one of those Walgreen's places, and, when the woman saw me, she said, "you need to go to a real clinic. You're clearly hurting badly, and I can't write prescriptions for the types of meds you need."

Then I went to the clinic she suggested, and they told me the doctor on duty doesn't accept my insurance. I offered to pay cash, since I was in agony, and the woman said I can't do that because it's "insurance fraud." Can anyone tell me if that's true? Can I really not pay full price for treatment if they know I have insurance they don't take? That seems like a pretty outrageous law.

Anyhow, I went to yet another clinic, which was happy to accept my insurance and let me see a real doc. It only took a minute for her to realize I'm really hurting, and she wrote me a script for pain meds and a muscle relaxant. Then, before she stepped out, she went, "you really look like you're in a lot of pain. A steroid shot might help, too, if you'd like to try that." I basically said, "go for it. I'll take anything at this point."

So, I'm waiting for my prescriptions to be filled, and I anticipate feeling pretty magical before too long.

Bought one a few months ago that gets uncomfortably hot. Stupid Georgia

Hmmm. I wonder if it's the brand we're buying or something. Either way, it's infuriating. I need HEAT, not warm.

Also, maybe Georgians just have thicker skin and what's "uncomfortably hot" to you Yankees is merely warm to us.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hope you start feeling better soon, MrG.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sincerely appreciate it, L'Inc. I suspect the cocktail they've given me will be a huge help, which is good because this has been really painful. When the muscle spasms, it has seriously some of the worst pain I've ever experienced. Not quite the worst, but close enough for me.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lol, wut?

They are scales. Independent of instruments.

Secondly, it's calibrated to freezing and boiling, everyone on earth knows that, and that's obviously the "why."

Scales are not independent of instruments in this case -- measurements are not deterministic, so saying 'It's 50 degree Fahrenheit' outside' as if it's some word of God truth doesn't happen. When the fledgling creator of a thermometer decided the spacing was going to be such and such and the zero value was going to be yadda yadda, he didn't make sure that it matched his arbitrary values first. When a man working on instruments to measure temperature decides to use a certain scale and his instruments are very precise, his scale marked on the side of the instrument is likely going to be the one adopted. If someone wants to convert units after the fact that's perfectly doable, but it would seem rather pointless to convert from the measured value directly in front of the operator's face to some other value in a different scale just for the sake of it. It's also silly statistically since it affects the uncertainity if the instruments used to fix the scales have different levels of uncertainty.

I know what it's calibrated to. I'm saying that the decision to adopt Celsius was not so Joe Blow wouldn't forget what temperature water froze and boiled at. Those were likely chosen because they are easily-measured values of a very common substance, making it easy to calibrate the instruments to those values and the values they were set at were entirely arbitrary.

Fahrenheit decided to use a scale with 0 degrees as the temperature of some salt water solution and 100 degrees as human body temperature.
Celsius decided to have 100 degrees as the freezing point of water and 0 degrees as the boiling point.

It's not hard to understand why Celsius thermometers were easier to calibrate and thus had lower uncertainty.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Betimes I receive "COS Alert" in my e-mail inbox (Community of Science). But in KISS world, COS means "Carnival of Souls" (album recorded just before 1996 reunion). And so for a brief moment I think "Oh cool, someone is e-mailing me with news about Carnival of Souls!" But then I realize that is not happening at all.

poorman

Reaction score
WOW. My car was broken into this morning and I did not realize until now that my Filson bag and college books were missing. I thought I brought them in the house. wow. this sucks so bad. I'm so ******* stupid. wtf. :( I didn't even call the police right away because I thought it was just a broken window and was going to take the lost on replacement. ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. sorry sometimes you just need to type **** out. FUUUUUCK! That bag was the first thing I ever bought on style forum market place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads