• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, that is my problem too. My eyesight is so bad that I cannot see the numbers that are displayed on "dat clock."

I have found that as I advance in age, I forget that while I am young of mind and spirit, the body is weary (need to let it rest more).

Speaking of good food, I am totally disillusioned with Anglo (white people) food. Roast turkey and chicken, mashed potatoes, stuffing, glazed ham, steak, pork chops etc etc is all so bland and awful to the point that being made to eat it on holidays is oppressive and cruel.

Preach!!

Though I do love me some garlic mashed taters :embar:

I also ******* love hummus (spicy) and pita.

If you hate these things then it's because you are eating food prepared by someone who does not know how to cook.

Steak, especially. If you are eating bad steak you have no one to blame but yourself.

Agreed. My mother, save for a dish or two, was merely an adequate, at best, cook. Somewhere along the way I discovered that I could instinctually cook good Merican foods. Given my perpetual allergies, I don't have the best or most delicate taste, but somehow I can take a spice rack and a few ingredients and throw something together that tastes great to everyone else. The real problem is that I can never recreate a dish exactly as I do not follow a recipe. The other downside, I am now conscripted to make ever family/holiday dinner (at least everyone is out of the kitchen and screaming and yelling elsewhere).

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

All I know is that the next time I cook a steak, I'm going to use a cast iron pan, use a **** ton of salt, pepper, butter, garlic, and rosemary (is that the correct herb?), and baste the **** out of that motherfucker. I always drool like a starving dog when I see a video of a steak cooked that way.

The hardest part for me is figuring out how long to keep it in the oven to get dat medium-rare status.

Fresh rosemary is awesome with steak. Just don't cook it: add it into the butter/juices near the end, just enough to warm it up. And forget Ducasse: cook that ****** hot. I like 'em bloody. Just cook the moo out of it.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mother cooks restaurant grade food, and has done my entire life. It actually became a real problem going out to eat, as we could never afford truly great restaurants and as a result ever meal was one that would have been better at home.

I never learned to cook like that, and as such my daily food is bland as f.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bangers and mash Mondays

Fish fingers and mash Tuesdays

Minced beef pie on Wed...

Egg and chips (fries)

Fridays fish and chips

Saturday, you choose

Sunday roast

Left home at 16!

Ps I still love my mum

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My mother cooks restaurant grade food, and has done my entire life. It actually became a real problem going out to eat, as we could never afford truly great restaurants and as a result ever meal was one that would have been better at home.

I never learned to cook like that, and as such my daily food is bland as f.

This is the big reason I prefer to stay in to cook rather than go out (and why people were a bit gruff with me at first on Crimmus Eve). As an added bonus I don't have a server looking to me to turn the table and am guaranteed to have a bottle of wine that I like.

On Crimmus Eve, we had (and I made virtually everything) coconut shrimp with a mango habanero cocktail sauce, various goat cheeses, crackers, baked clams, and some cured meats for appetizers. For the salad course it was an angry caesar salad (signature blend of sriracha with a parmesan caesar dressing) with cornbread croutons. For the main course, we had a beef tenderloin with a thick glaze consisting of balsamic, cranberry, honey, fresh rosemary and thyme, lobster tail fried in red pepper and kaffir lime infused oil, hand mashed potatoes with a blend of cheeses and herbs de provence, steamed haricot vert with fresh lemony herb butter, and fresh sourdough. For dessert it was Veniero's Cake and cookies (client had delivered to us for Crimmus).

Wine: Horse Shoes & Hand Grenades
Dessert Taylor's 40 Year Tawny Port.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I cook restaurant grade food as well (Denny's).

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Denny's, Waffle House, and Perkins are my favorite breakfast locations... although perkins' sausage gravy and biscuits were superior to that of Denny's.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm gonna express an honest view hey it's just subjective don't mean anything I don't enjoy biscuits and gravy at all. Got a taste to it that gets my stomach to churnin'.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is it mechanically damaged or just cosmetic? There is usually an option to keep the vehicle and have the salvage value deducted from the payout. If you don't mind some imperfections you can often get a "just good enough" body repair done for cheap.

Oh that is probably what he will do. He doesn't want a half assed repair though since he enjoys keeping his cars in good shape (still gets sad if he sees a new door ding on his 1998 car).

If they total it, his body shop can get it back to good looking for less than their insurance estimate (e.g. the estimate includes brand new tailpipe and muffler but you could probably bend his 6 month exhaust back into place). Sucks to have to do all of that (and end up with a salvage title) just because some ass wasn't paying attention.

My mom bought me like a billion new pairs of boxer briefs for Christmas. Awesome, right? Wrong. She got me something other than my usual brand and I thought nothing of it, but when I tried them on they have a super high rise and I have to pull them up to my solar plexus in order for them to fit correctly. I don't have the heart to say anything to her though.

I returned a pair of knit boxers and swapped for some boxer briefs of a brand I already have... But the new pairs are higher rise and super long... I think they would stick out if I wore them with my regular shorts.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I cannot ******* sleep. Am I getting old?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pissing me off - being stuck with a samsung android phone while in Asia. Dear God this OS is a *************

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads