• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ultra-Orthodox get a complete exemption I think. I also believe other Israelis are getting tired of that and moving to change it.
I remember reading that and thinking, "if these are the people pushing the policies that cause half of Israel's security problems, why the **** are they exempt from getting shot at?"

I've resigned myself to the fact I will never have the faintest grasp on anything that happens between Budapest and Calcutta.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What are online banking services like at a credit union?

I used to belong to a smaller local bank, and granted this goes back probably six or seven years ago, but when they got bought by PNC, holy **** it was like stepping into a new world.

Online banking is so completely necessary and PNC does it so much better than they ever could have.

Of course, seven years on, I know everything's probably changed and perhaps there are solid products that smaller banks can buy and still have fully-featured, fully-secured online banking. But ****, the homegrown **** my regional bank had was some Mickey Mouse bullshit.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used to belong to a smaller local bank, and granted this goes back probably six or seven years ago, but when they got bought by PNC, holy **** it was like stepping into a new world.

Online banking is so completely necessary and PNC does it so much better than they ever could have.

Of course, seven years on, I know everything's probably changed and perhaps there are solid products that smaller banks can buy and still have fully-featured, fully-secured online banking. But ****, the homegrown **** my regional bank had was some Mickey Mouse bullshit.

My CU fits this bill. I was with chase before I switched and my wife still has an account through WF that gets used. The CU's new website (within the last year) beats both of their experiences. I especially like the way that their home screen collates information.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Mine is very good, IMO. The website has an easy, navigable UI with every feature I'd need.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's goin' down
I'm yellin' timberrrrrr
You better move
You better dance

What genius sat back and said, "Wait a second...Kesha AND Pitbull? BRILLIANT!!!!"

:fu:

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The inept, bumbling administration in my city has finally decided to do something about the foot of snow that has clogged streets for an entire week (all other cities in the surrounding area have declared snow emergencies by now). Any car that has not been moved since the storm will be towed to make way for the plows. In late November, the City Council approved an ordinance raising the towing fee from $80 to $155. Plus, the per diem storage fee went from $3 to $25. Un-freakin-believable.

(Not really, it's actually totally believable.)

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Alright... This is gonna be an odd question. Is there a reason many conservative Jews don't join the service in the US? I don't know what it's like in Israel. Did they object during the drafts? I really have no idea.

im not sure what you mean by conservative. amongst jews, conservative judaism means those who are not religious/orthodox, but do still keep some of the commandments/mitzvos, and keep to the traditions of orthodox judaism, even where they may not keep the commandments. they are between orthodox and reform. or do you mean conservative as in the adjective, and you mean orthodox jews?

either way, i have a fair number of religious/orthodox friends that have served in the US army and a large number as well that went to israel to serve. i imagine that they are a rather small percentage in the US army, even smaller than their percentage in US population. i could hypothesize why, but there is no way i could do so without insulting either jews or non jews.

there is a draft in israel, everyone has to serve 3 years from age 18 iirc. there always has been an exemption for men in jewish study, similar to a college exemption i guess. that exemption was build into their constitution of sorts when the country was founded. i think its elective for women too. despite that, there is a fairly sizable amount of religious jews in israel that forgo the exemption and enter the draft. there is also a program where you do half service half study.

that whole program is being called to possible change and its causing a very serious clashing of heads amongst many sects of jews across the globe. its a pretty serious issue facing the jewish population right now.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have had really good experiences with Schwab's checking account after switching from Citi a few years ago. I know they are still a big company, but since they are primarily a brokerage, they operate their checking in a friendly manner (since they want you to stick around and use their brokerage services). ATM fee reimbursements, mobile deposits, decent bill-pay setup, etc.

Primary savings has been ING Direct for years, although now that they are called Capital One 360 (worst ******* name and logo ever...looks like they came up with it in 1999), I would be more hesitant to recommend opening a new account. I haven't noticed anything change for the worse (other than the color scheme), but I am more than a little sketched out by the Capital One ownership.
I do, however, *really* like that you can split your savings account into sub accounts and automate transactions in and out. If you do something like set up a Travel sub-account with automatic transfers, it makes travel purchases guilt free and it even motivates you to take more vacation ("hey, the travel account is getting a little full...better use some of it"). Same for building in little sub accounts for things like emergency car repair.

My wife and I switched to their banking when we combined accounts when we got married. That was 10 years ago, and I have no complaints. Their customer (er..."member") service is as good on the banking side as it is everywhere else, and it has a lot of perks. They pay interest, reimburse me for ATM fees, etc. The only complaint I ever had was that you used to have to mail in deposits, but they fixed that a number of years back by making it so you could deposit at UPS stores, and they've had scan-in and mobile depositing for a number of years now.

They're not great if you need in-person branch banking, but they're fantastic otherwise.
You're not. You'd know if you were.

USAA was one of the first to do that I think. I met a guy travelling in Portugal back in 2009 who apparently worked for them on developing it...I was like "that's awesome, why can't I do that with my bank". Several years later, I finally can.

Your parents would have had to have used a USAA product that they were eligible for through your grandparents.

So if I get my grandpa to sign up and invite my mom, then I can sign up? Might be tempting (and actually, it is possible he uses them for something already, I may ask over christmas).

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's goin' down
I'm yellin' timberrrrrr
You better move
You better dance

What genius sat back and said, "Wait a second...Kesha AND Pitbull? BRILLIANT!!!!"

:fu:

Is there any song featuring pitbull that wouldn't be made better by removing pitbull?

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So if I get my grandpa to sign up and invite my mom, then I can sign up? Might be tempting (and actually, it is possible he uses them for something already, I may ask over christmas).

I believe so. There could be fine print about how long someone needs to be a member though.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple co-workers (whom I often have to work in very close quarters with) that have horrible-horrible body odor.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just read about Target's security breach. Checked my checking account activity and, yep, I used my debit card to make a purchase and get cash back at a Target a week or two ago. Would cancel my ATM card just to b safe but I'm traveling for the next ten days or so. Goddammit.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey gang, I have three toothpaste-related PO'd's hope you can bear with me.

1. The toothpaste I just bought has a flavor called "vibrant mint." It is so minty that I can't even focus on my tasks too overwhelming.
2. In the description of what the toothpaste does, it says "shines to brighten in just 1 day." What the hell is that supposed to mean? Was that written by some kind of Dutchman don't know English?
3. There's a helpful tip printed on the tube says "FOR BEST RESULTS, SQUEEZE TUBE FROM THE BOTTOM AND FLATTEN AS YOU GO." (Yes, it is in all caps.) Excuse me, but I've had live-in girlfriends "get on my case" (nag) about that I don't need to hear the same crap (in all caps no less) from the people of Crest. Hey how's about you mind your own business let me press the tube as I damn well see fit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads