• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My father was technically a WWII veteran, which we did not know until after his death. He always said that he joined the Navy after the war ended. We got a copy of his discharge, as part of the paperwork to bury him with military honors at a National Cemetery*, and saw that he enlisted when the war was still going on, both in Europe and the Pacific. They gave him the WWII Victory Medal, even though they never put him on a ship until the summer of '46.

But he did get to make two big boomers at Bikini, as part of Operation Crossroads.

* I did not let them play a recording of Taps at my father's burial service. I brought a cornet and did the honor myself.
my mom recently gave me a box of my grandfather’s ww2 memorabilia. I looked at his service records and noticed that he disembarked in Europe on May 8, 1945. imagine getting off the boat and seeing everyone partying because the war is over.

I think he avoided the draft since he was in his 30s, worked for the railroad, and was very short. (I wore his Ike jacket as a Halloween costume when I was in middle school.)

my other grandfather was also extremely short (no idea how I am average height, wish I were shorter so I could buy all your 36R jackets, oh well). he was as a foreman in a car factory that converted to making warplanes, so he also avoided combat.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Silly bear, concubines are for beating you off not for you to beat.

If you want to do proper Roman empire you can, and likely did, both.
A few months ago, I wrote how my company fvcked me on my bonus and shorted me about 30% of my expected bonus. It finally came to a head today when I had a meeting with our new CFO and HR.

Apparently under a prior CFO, I was demoted effective July 2020 from a director level to a manager level even though it was never communicated to me in writing or verbally and I've been overpaid. Obviously there's no record of me ever agreeing to being demoted. They also said they don't have any record of me being promoted to a director level. I still have my promotion letter to director and was able to produce this that showed my level and pay.

HR's position is that I was overpaid for several years in terms of salary and bonus. They're not going to lower my salary going forward but they retroactively took 30% of my bonus and will continue to place me on the lower bonus plan.

Reason why I was demoted was because I applied for a VP position in my company and wasn't selected. HR said because I applied internally to a higher position that they don't need to communicate to me that I was demoted back to a manager level. I naturally asked to please show me this policy.

Any Texas lawtalkers know the law on pay cuts and demotions? Doesn't the company have to communicate this to the employee?

That sucks. My limited understanding of employment is they can basically do whatever they want as long as it's not based on age, sex, nationality, disability and maybe another protected class or two.

If you have an employment contract it would just be contract law and whether they breached it.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few months ago, I wrote how my company fvcked me on my bonus and shorted me about 30% of my expected bonus. It finally came to a head today when I had a meeting with our new CFO and HR.

Apparently under a prior CFO, I was demoted effective July 2020 from a director level to a manager level even though it was never communicated to me in writing or verbally and I've been overpaid. Obviously there's no record of me ever agreeing to being demoted. They also said they don't have any record of me being promoted to a director level. I still have my promotion letter to director and was able to produce this that showed my level and pay.

HR's position is that I was overpaid for several years in terms of salary and bonus. They're not going to lower my salary going forward but they retroactively took 30% of my bonus and will continue to place me on the lower bonus plan.

Reason why I was demoted was because I applied for a VP position in my company and wasn't selected. HR said because I applied internally to a higher position that they don't need to communicate to me that I was demoted back to a manager level. I naturally asked to please show me this policy.

Any Texas lawtalkers know the law on pay cuts and demotions? Doesn't the company have to communicate this to the employee?
That's nuts, what a D*** move by the last CFO, although it makes no sense so maybe they are making things up as they go?

Sounds like you have a solid complaint on the bonus but if you want to keep working there, probably not much you can do except find an ally internally to make things right.

As beardude said there is a whole lot of latitude for employers to do whatever tf they want under at will employment, as I found out a few years ago.

Years ago I was able to negotiate my bonus above the norm, and over the years it's either been dropped or threatened to be dropped 40%. Fortunately I had the receipts to show I was entitled to it and made a successful case each and every time to manager/HR. but one of these days they'll try and yank it again and succeed. Not much to do except threaten to walk.

Also, I'm NAL but after one non compete suit and a made up "sorry but ya roles been eliminated..." situation, I've had more discussions than I've wanted with labor atty's.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks. My limited understanding of employment is they can basically do whatever they want as long as it's not based on age, sex, nationality, disability and maybe another protected class or two.

If you have an employment contract it would just be contract law and whether they breached it.
Don't have an employment contract but my role is US only and not North America. My boss was over North America and he quit last week so now I'm expected to handle North America until a replacement is found. I'm the most logical choice to be promoted and all the other departments are acting if I'm in charge of North America now. I'm going to start telling global HQ that I'm not doing sh1t anymore since it's not under my role.

When I told new CFO and HR this, HR said I had to do what my manager tells me as long as it's not "unethical, immoral, or illegal". Perfect cover I need since as I licensed CPA, I can refuse to do things I believe are not aligned with accounting principles and no one else in the company has the accounting background to go up against me.

That's nuts, what a D*** move by the last CFO, although it makes no sense so maybe they are making things up as they go?
I honestly think he didn't know I was already a director making more money and he thought I was getting a pay raise. I was promoted under a prior CFO who was at my company for only 6 months and I was promoted like 2 weeks before he was fired.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sucks dude. Sounds like they are trying to push you out. Time to dust off the resume and start looking. Timing is not great but a lot of new positions should open up in January as budgets for the new year kick in.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my mom recently gave me a box of my grandfather’s ww2 memorabilia. I looked at his service records and noticed that he disembarked in Europe on May 8, 1945. imagine getting off the boat and seeing everyone partying because the war is over.

I think he avoided the draft since he was in his 30s, worked for the railroad, and was very short. (I wore his Ike jacket as a Halloween costume when I was in middle school.)

my other grandfather was also extremely short (no idea how I am average height, wish I were shorter so I could buy all your 36R jackets, oh well). he was as a foreman in a car factory that converted to making warplanes, so he also avoided combat.

when you were in middle school you dressed up as dwight eisenhower for halloween ?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So if you fail to get promoted, consolation prize is getting demoted?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads