• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just found out our fantastic, convenient, locally-owned market, Agata & Valentina, is closing next month. Landlord sold the building and developer is putting up much taller monstrosity so poor A&V is sh!t out of luck. In addition to losing my go-to food store we are faced with at least a couple of years of construction disruption :cloud:I am pissed!

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back from the dead.

I legitimately hate my life right now. I'm locked in a hotel room; I am fed three **** meals a day--I am probably consuming around 500-1000 calories a day max. I'm not allowed deliveries. The highlight of my day is getting an evening soda, no ****, a Sierra Mist.

I have been tested 6 times, all negative. This is a 14 day quarantine. Now, because of new regulation, a mask is required 24/7 for crew upon U.S. vessels, great. Sorry, but this doesn't make sense, it isn't practical, designed by someone who doesn't understand the seaborne life. There hasn't been a problem with outbreaks on US ships, as all companies have adopted mitigation procedures over the past year. I am vaxxed, quarantined and tested. Given my reading of the regulation, a textualist understanding indicates that masks are mandated for crew even in staterooms, even when sleeping.

I no longer have shore leave, we are no longer allowed to eat with each other for our entire 4 ******* months on the water, we are no longer allowed to exercise in the gyms, we are no longer allowed to watch movies in our lounge. We no longer get paid for restriction to our vessel in port. I don't have internet out there, so it isn't like I can just hole up in my room and browse the web.

I'm all "for science" I've taken this **** pretty seriously from day one; but, the virus doesn't just spontaneously appear out of no where. There is zero reason for insulated vessels with a proper mitigation strategy in place to have this mandate.

For what end? With the Suez Canal blockage recently, it breaks my heart how all that I've seen is memes, but no one discusses how many mariners have been stuck out at sea for 4-6-8 months past their supposed disembarkation date and how severe stress could very well have played a part. Morale is at an all-time low.

Congrats, we've rolled back about 100 years of seafarer's rights. I've become an automaton with no joy.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back from the dead.

I legitimately hate my life right now. I'm locked in a hotel room; I am fed three **** meals a day--I am probably consuming around 500-1000 calories a day max. I'm not allowed deliveries. The highlight of my day is getting an evening soda, no ****, a Sierra Mist.

I have been tested 6 times, all negative. This is a 14 day quarantine. Now, because of new regulation, a mask is required 24/7 for crew upon U.S. vessels, great. Sorry, but this doesn't make sense, it isn't practical, designed by someone who doesn't understand the seaborne life. There hasn't been a problem with outbreaks on US ships, as all companies have adopted mitigation procedures over the past year. I am vaxxed, quarantined and tested. Given my reading of the regulation, a textualist understanding indicates that masks are mandated for crew even in staterooms, even when sleeping.

I no longer have shore leave, we are no longer allowed to eat with each other for our entire 4 ******* months on the water, we are no longer allowed to exercise in the gyms, we are no longer allowed to watch movies in our lounge. We no longer get paid for restriction to our vessel in port. I don't have internet out there, so it isn't like I can just hole up in my room and browse the web.

I'm all "for science" I've taken this **** pretty seriously from day one; but, the virus doesn't just spontaneously appear out of no where. There is zero reason for insulated vessels with a proper mitigation strategy in place to have this mandate.

For what end? With the Suez Canal blockage recently, it breaks my heart how all that I've seen is memes, but no one discusses how many mariners have been stuck out at sea for 4-6-8 months past their supposed disembarkation date and how severe stress could very well have played a part. Morale is at an all-time low.

Congrats, we've rolled back about 100 years of seafarer's rights. I've become an automaton with no joy.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully things get better for you soon.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That does suck. Sorry to hear it. Any chance things could get more relaxed once you're out to sea?

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many more suicides am I going to hear about? It's like every 3 months right now that I hear about another mariner taking his own life. It's ridiculous how we have vessels with crew on board trying for over six months to go home, after completing something like an 8-month tour.

We've had so many experienced people quit lately, and now we just have a flood of rubber-stamped bodies. Our manning for our tasks is probably no longer "safe", sure we can limp through, but that isn't ideal.

From my perspective, we have a better understanding of the virus now, and the numbers do seem to be getting better, but meanwhile, regulations and procedures continue to become more and more draconian.

No shot on easing while underway, its a violation of federal law, and no masters want to risk crew whistleblowers.

I no longer have a life. I come home. Then I basically have to begin quarantine for two weeks and tests before "continuing education". Then home, then home quarantine two weeks before two weeks hotel quarantine. My whole life has just become ******* isolation and phone calls.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lately when i lay down i have these intense feelings of being buried alive, or trapped in a crawl space, etc. today i took a 20 minute lie down and had this weird day dream where i fell in to a pool with the cover on and got pushed to the bottom.

the most fucked up thing about it all is i find myself relaxing into the sensation. wtf

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lately when i lay down i have these intense feelings of being buried alive, or trapped in a crawl space, etc. today i took a 20 minute lie down and had this weird day dream where i fell in to a pool with the cover on and got pushed to the bottom.

the most fucked up thing about it all is i find myself relaxing into the sensation. wtf
real talk: almost every day (if not every day) i wish I was dead and day dream about it.

I don't want to overreact but I am afraid the Braves may not win a game all season.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You‘ve mentioned your death, specifically how you’d kill yourself, before pretty recently, Ed.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You‘ve mentioned your death, specifically how you’d kill yourself, before pretty recently, Ed.
Yeah its just something I think will be with me forever. Thankfully (or not depending how much you like me) my catholicism prevents me from doing anything.

So every Friday I read the Mansion section of The Wall Street Journal. And every week i get semi jealous and depressed I will never even sniff owning one of those houses. And i always have to remind myself that it really is an aspirational section for even the very rich so....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads