• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m old now. ****.

I was listening to the '90s "alternative and grunge" channel on XM yesterday morning when driving my daughter and her friends to camp and one of them called it "the oldies station". 😒

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was it arsenic or mercury syphillis treatment which made prostitutes' pubes fall out?
I thought it was because of pubic lice, but I'm not really sure.

Gotta say though, when I Googled for a link, the first image that came up was hilarious
Screenshot_20220727-090439_Chrome.jpg

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was listening to the '90s "alternative and grunge" channel on XM yesterday morning when driving my daughter and her friends to camp and one of them called it "the oldies station". 😒
God damned ungrateful brats

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably, but they are not wrong! Hell, even Grandpa seems to have confused XM's Lithium with Prime Music's 90's Alternative n Grunge...

(Glory be to both)

Slow your roll there there Millennial! I know the difference. Lithium bills itself as the "'90s Alternative and Grange" channel so I stand by my statement.

FWIW, the song that was playing when the kid made the hurtful comment was Jane's Addiction's Been Caught Stealing. This video for this song is forever ingrained in my brain because when I was about 12 my best friend had a VHS tape of a bunch of favorite videos he had taped off of MTV and we'd go play D&D in his basement after school most days and he'd have that tape playing on what felt like a loop. I think every third video on there was either Been Caught Stealing or Faith No More's Epic.

I cannot hear either of those songs without immediately also recalling the videos, and hanging out playing D&D

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot hear either of those songs without immediately also recalling the night I lost my virginity to a vacuum cleaner and not lettering in ****.
Fixed

brokencycle

Reaction score
Slow your roll there there Millennial! I know the difference. Lithium bills itself as the "'90s Alternative and Grange" channel so I stand by my statement.

FWIW, the song that was playing when the kid made the hurtful comment was Jane's Addiction's Been Caught Stealing. This video for this song is forever ingrained in my brain because when I was about 12 my best friend had a VHS tape of a bunch of favorite videos he had taped off of MTV and we'd go play D&D in his basement after school most days and he'd have that tape playing on what felt like a loop. I think every third video on there was either Been Caught Stealing or Faith No More's Epic.

I cannot hear either of those songs without immediately also recalling the videos, and hanging out playing D&D

We did a long car trip earlier in the year, and it was interesting to see the different definition of classic rock. Most stations were stuff like Rolling Stones, but some were definitely including grunge and post-grunge including stuff like early Red Hot Chili Peppers.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah, real Music videos! Pepperidge Farms remembas'...

Music is great like that sometimes, teleports you back to another time and place.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We did a long car trip earlier in the year, and it was interesting to see the different definition of classic rock. Most stations were stuff like Rolling Stones, but some were definitely including grunge and post-grunge including stuff like early Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I was 12 when that Jane’s Addiction song came out 32 years ago. Back then, similarly-aged songs on the oldies station would have been from the late ‘50s and early ‘60s so I guess I can see where that girl was coming from.

Maybe it would have been less upsetting if the girl had called it the “classic rock” station.

FWIW, I rarely listen to something that’s not a podcast or Satellite Radio in the car anymore but I think the last time I tuned in to the classic rock station here in Detroit (94.7) they were still playing a lot of Eagles and Rolling Stones and The Who but they also had some Pearl Jam and Soundgarden mixed in there.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was 12 when that Jane’s Addiction song came out 32 years ago. Back then, similarly-aged songs on the oldies station would have been from the late ‘50s and early ‘60s so I guess I can see where that girl was coming from.

Maybe it would have been less upsetting if the girl had called it the “classic rock” station.

FWIW, I rarely listen to something that’s not a podcast or Satellite Radio in the car anymore but I think the last time I tuned in to the classic rock station here in Detroit (94.7) they were still playing a lot of Eagles and Rolling Stones and The Who but they also had some Pearl Jam and Soundgarden mixed in there.

I can't say I've followed radio that closely, but I get the feeling that its kinda gone in two directions:

1. The oldies stations have pulled a little bit further into time, but not as much as you would have expected given what oldies stations were playing 20 years ago. Probably driven by the fact that there are still a **** ton of greatest gen/older boomers still alive and they actually still listen to the radio.
2. Instead they have introduced things like "Throwback" stations. These pull up 90s-2000s hits, and mix in much more hip hop because they don't have to worry about ruffling the feathers of the 70 year olds. But they don't mix in newer stuff like Adult Contemporary style stations so the 40 year old moms can think back to their party days without wondering wtf this new "Bad Bunny" **** is.

Of course XM just says ****.it and gives you everything. Stations for every decade, genre mixes, mood mixes, format-clones (college radio, coffee house), etc.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this was the thread where we were discussing LinkedIn a few weeks ago...

Maybe I do need to update my profile on there from time to time. I don't think I've changed anything on it in at least a dozen years and today I received an email from a recruiter for what's definitely a barely-above entry level position with, I'd bet, a salary well below half of what I make now.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't say I've followed radio that closely, but I get the feeling that its kinda gone in two directions:

1. The oldies stations have pulled a little bit further into time, but not as much as you would have expected given what oldies stations were playing 20 years ago. Probably driven by the fact that there are still a **** ton of greatest gen/older boomers still alive and they actually still listen to the radio.
2. Instead they have introduced things like "Throwback" stations. These pull up 90s-2000s hits, and mix in much more hip hop because they don't have to worry about ruffling the feathers of the 70 year olds. But they don't mix in newer stuff like Adult Contemporary style stations so the 40 year old moms can think back to their party days without wondering wtf this new "Bad Bunny" **** is.

Of course XM just says ****.it and gives you everything. Stations for every decade, genre mixes, mood mixes, format-clones (college radio, coffee house), etc.
Lmao college radio has been a distinct genre for decades.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Betimes I think our admins should have a forum exclusively for conversations with Edina, but then I realize that’s exactly what DT is

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads