• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ShoutOutsFoMyBo: you're 100% Aladeen that I'm a troll. You couldn't be more aladeen, it's not even funny.

My goal is to be less basic.

There are many articles in SF that I haven't read them all yet, and barely made a dent.

I'll make you proud one day, ma.

_20171231_101309.JPG

_20171231_102324.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, its hard. Anything worth succeeding at should be hard.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting better. Boots are sub-par, imo, and need to tighten up the hems there, they look sloppy, in a not great way.

Also, overall, I think the fit would benefit from more color contrast between items.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just starting out, I’d say a good rule of thumb would be to lose all your khakis. You’ll look like a kid at an awards ceremony, or worse, like you just got done with your shift at Best Buy. See Downsizing, and note how they signal that Matt Damon is a frustrated schmo everyman. Then look at Matt Damon in movies where he plays a badass, and consider the difference. (Then forget about movies, because you might end up with a Steve McQueen avatar).

Chinos can still be found in richer colors at similar prices, and brands like EG and even w+h make interesting, but related, pents.

It’s tempting to rock your thrift finds, but selling them to fund an SF-related adventure could also be more fulfilling.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Better. .. . what size are you? might have some floating around.

Jawnz = Approved Denim Jeans.

at your level, and far higher? A fit can be built with Jeans as the constant. start by matching footwear to sweater/jacket. shirt/cap -beanie for contrast. accessories for depth of contrast.

@in stitches that fit, and you pick on the boots? they will shine up nice with new laces.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you tried a 32x31 - or even a 32x30? The way they're puddling suggests you think you've got longer legs than reality proves ;)

The easiest option is to try a shorter jean, and if necessary just a simple half inch turn up.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried and failed to write a helpful critique of your fit, @flipstah. Feels like you haven’t really done the work yet to develop a basic understanding of how to put together a coherent fit, and until you do there’s probably not a ton we can do to help you.

I’ll try to raise a few points to consider anyway:

Your pairings are all over the place genre-wise. You have beat-up workwear-dude boots paired with welcome-to-best-buy khakis paired with a preppy shawl-collar pullover, topped off with a John Varvatos-ish coat. Any of those items could work fine in a different context—the current coat with tailored pants and side-zip boots or the current boots with a field jacket and jeans, for example—but as is it all feels a little off. Not that you have to slavishly adhere to one genre—head-to-toe workwear or militaria or whatever. The best fits don’t. They recontextualize in surprising, interesting ways. But it takes a little finesse to combine several categories in a way that doesn’t just feel non-sensical.

Regarding silhouette: I’m all for looser pants, but the khakis seem oversized in a less-cool way. (Maybe just need to be hemmed?) And combined with the very fitted looking sweater, they seem incongruous.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

diniro

Reaction score
^^ This.

Allowing him to post random mistakes, thoughts, and learning from feedback is something we are all entitled to.
to poke fun and insult is unbecoming of a forum where we consider ourselves gentlemen.

And Homeboy, i can educate you on silhouette. and how a fit can be put in a larger context.

Ha, you make it seem like i haven't had a footprint in the halls of SF.
you'd be wrong.
my style is "Classic Menswear" more now than ever.

I'm a Grown man, Dressing like a grown man. not a pup trying to dress like an old man.

you?

Definitely. you should be concerned.

as you know well enough i am always serious. no snark, no trolling, straight up say what i mean to say.

everyday i see fits with a poor silhouette,or poor contrast, getting thumbs from the same people,who in turn thumb the fit of the guy who thumbed them. like a circle of members thumbing eachother.... :spew:

a stifled, inbred pool of style.promoting a focus on being accepted via conformism. the details of which, are frivolous, and uninspiring. (Must wear brown and blue,dress like an early 70's entry level tax return accountant, or a vaccum cleaner salesman from 1949....all in the past. . ) ahem, back on point . .

This thread needs some outside DNA in the style gene pool.and i'm bringing it. might bring some friends too. ;)

i don't require the same 18 people to thumb each of my fits, i won't be thumbing yours. unless i genuinely like it. no "participation awards" here. you get a thumb from me? know it's actual appreciation. the new pups trying to dress like a movie character? are going to have to step up. there's no style in imitation. only cosplay.

So I Challenge you,to Be ambitious.
I challenge you, to try new things.
I Challenge you, to take better fit pics.
I Challenge you, to put up. or shut up.
see you, in the Challenges.

Style rules. and "CM" has evolved. it's not 1949 anymore. . the present is coming. . . .:stirpot:

Who are those guys? don't care.

Either way, you are wrong. but there's no sense in trying to teach an old dog new tricks. when it has no idea about, or respect for stuff it doesn't know. best of luck with your flesh toned corduroy blazer.

the fact that you begrudgingly agree with what i have to say about style? means you are clutching at straws, by talking smack about fits you couldn't pull off. that i actually can, and have. you gotta know the rules to defy them. while i have no intention of wearing a Tie in the near future, i'll still be checking in to thumb fits that are properly thought out, and well fitted.

Never stop pushing the boundaries. style is on the other side of bland.

o_O

I usually dont get involved in... whatever this is, but since you have decided that you are such a fascinating individual that you can take up half the space in this thread, here's my two cents.

I actually agree with some of the things you have written. Disregarding the futility of criticising a thread celebrating traditional menswear for being traditional, I do agree that there is conformism here. There is certainly an approved SF look and you can usually tell which fits will get the most likes because of this. Outside DNA is needed and it also needs a little more risktaking.

However, your problem starts with your own fits. Of all the pics you have posted over the last week or so, there is only one that is decent and that's the denim fit you posted a few days ago. It's not great, but it's decent and would not be laughed out of WAYWT, where it belongs. The rest are ridiculous. They look like the type of pics an overambitious photography student would put in a Yearbook. We could discuss fit, cut, colour matching, textures etc, but the problem is more fundamental. Your fits are costume. You dont 'wear' those clothes, you play dress-up. This applies not only for the pics that are references to movies, it applies to all of them.

There are people in SF who post pics that show a younger and more radical view on menswear. From what we've seen so far you're not one of them. You write that you will stay in WAYWRN, maybe even bring a few friends. Feel free to stay. Maybe you will learn something too. Maybe your friends know how to dress. Maybe you actually are the chosen one who will lead us all to an enlightened future. Neo was pretty crap in the beginning too.

But so far your only strong contribution to this thread has been the trolling. At least I enjoyed that.

:box::lurk:

as i get older. time to dress my age. you are going to see denim and 90's wear. with a fresh ,experienced take.whether you like it or not. as time goes on. generations move on.
my generation has a take on "Classic Menswear" that is here to stay.

you hangin' in the wrong bars bub.

pic was taken in the "Toilet" of a Pachinko parlor in Japan at 10pm ish. between a wedding reception and a bar. as i checked my fit. wasn't sure about the soft yellow TM Lewin shirt. Tangerine square. Lanvin Tie, Loro piana suit.
View attachment 854043

so feel free. compare 2 years ago....

to 2 weeks ago.
View attachment 854062

do better. or meet me in the Friday challenges from next week.

A Fit Pic?

naw, it's already been 5 years, and i have been dressing people since 2004.
i promise you that a decade from now, it's still going to be like a day at work in a suit store.
"I wanna look like a mobster, do you have anything that looks vintage, and i got money, i'll wear this off the rack"

and i'll still be here, the guy that can advise on suit fit. but has completely grown tired of wearing them.

View attachment 897856
New era x Kubrick
Adidas / ucla.
Green label relaxing
Southpole
AF-1's. (Japan only)
John Bull
Yuki no Bosha sake

What i am wearing today.

My Bootlegger Steez.

:crazy:

Featured Sponsor