• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shopcanoeclub

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
A04FA832-5200-4FE2-8A8A-A5F4A6B2685F.jpeg

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ghostface, mumma, kunk all back in one week??

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve been hovering

ghostface

Reaction score
without naming names, what does posting this accomplish?

if someone has posted a fit with sloppy stacking, and they read my post, then they know there's a 98% chance i think their fit would look better with different pants.

the subtext, as zissou points out, is that people should consider The Virtues of Effectively Cuffing or Hemming Loose Pants.

norsefanboi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if someone has posted a fit with sloppy stacking, and they read my post, then they know there's a 98% chance i think their fit would look better with different pants.

the subtext, as zissou points out, is that people should consider The Virtues of Effectively Cuffing or Hemming Loose Pants.
It's unfair if you compare sloppy stack vs clean cuffs.
Put sloppy stack vs sloppy cuffs and I take sloppy stacks all day

e0d9n0b5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i guess i just dont see the purpose of non-directed critical feedback, since sloppy is in the eye of the beholder. cuffing big pants with no break ruins the shape, and they drape awkwardly, flapping around when you walk - but without me pointing out an example, the reader may be left wondering.

as with all things there are many in-betweens that look good for both camps, but in my opinion part of giving valuable critical feedback is providing enough information to make the distinction.

no hate, welcome back =]

ghostface

Reaction score
[...]cuffing big pants with no break ruins the shape, and they drape awkwardly, flapping around when you walk[...]

yeah, i remember seeing you say something like that before, and i continue to find it puzzling. when i cuff loose pants, they feel good and flowy as i walk around, and (i think??) the shape still looks good.

to be overly general, the benefits of cuffing are that the pants maintain their feeling of volume and their clean silhouette because the cuffs serve as a kind of counterweight near the ankle, creating a straighter line. when loose pants stack, in many cases they feel less flowy because the breaks hit at various points along your lower calf, plus you lose the clean silhouette. imo, it looks worse and feels worse to wear.

as you mention, there are lots of exceptions, and in some cases lotsa breaks looks better. some of it just comes down to basic aesthetic preferences, associations, wearer's personality, outfit context, etc.

since you asked here are a couple of fits from a recent page that i think would benefit from less stacking.

View attachment 1510813
Hat- GRP
Coat- Blue Blue Japan
Jacket- Ts(s)
Pants- J Crew
Boots- Padmore and Barnes View attachment 1510814

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance