• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveH35

Reaction score
Lovely FPJ. What is that little widget down the bottom of the dial?

Dino, thanks for the intel on the CPCP trimmings. The ones I was looking at didn't have all of that - not a deal-breaker, but I'm in no hurry so would be nice to wait and see if I can get a full set.
It's a remontoir d'egalite. Basically a mechanism that doles out the power to the escapement from the mainspring so that the force delivered remains close to constant, thus improving rate-keeping.

SteveH35

Reaction score
Since you guys like the Datograph. Here are two more shots. I've sold 3 of these in the last 4 weeks! Just bought this fourth one. Hot watch, and for good reason!

Dachshund

Reaction score
Thanks - interesting on the FPJ that all the cool stuff is happening on the front and the back is quite plain. The Lange could be accused of being 'busy' in that respect (I jest).

SteveH35

Reaction score
Thanks - interesting on the FPJ that all the cool stuff is happening on the front and the back is quite plain. The Lange could be accused of being 'busy' in that respect (I jest).
Yeah, it's got a lot of movement and depth for a thin, 38mm classicly proportioned watch! That's one of the things that makes it so unique and effective of a design.

I had a potential buyer ask me to take a picture outside this morning to see the dial in the sun. Pic turned out pretty good. Sorry to keep posting this one, but I have been photographing it a lot the last few days. It's probably my favorite piece overall.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Since you guys like the Datograph.

The original Datograph isn't loved universally here - for aesthetic reasons alone, I think (eh, Dino!): the eclectic mix of sticks and Romans being the primary issue. But since the newer Up/Down version arrived and the used prices of these fell a bit, even bums like me start to dream. I love Dino's Cayman S - it's even a great colour. But I'd buy this instead!

Nothing looks better from the back than a Lange, and this is one of the best examples ever. If Philippe Dufour says it's the best serially-produced watch available, then who am I to argue? I never tire of looking at these. One day...

SteveH35

Reaction score

The original Datograph isn't loved universally here - for aesthetic reasons alone, I think (eh, Dino!): the eclectic mix of sticks and Romans being the primary issue.  But since the newer Up/Down version arrived and the used prices of these fell a bit, even bums like me start to dream.  I love Dino's Cayman S - it's even a great colour.  But I'd buy this instead!

Nothing looks better from the back than a Lange, and this is one of the best examples ever.  If Philippe Dufour says it's the best serially-produced watch available, then who am I to argue?  I never tire of looking at these.  One day...

My guess is that anyone who doesn't love it has just never seen one in person. That's a problem with seeing watches only on the computer. Things are magnified more than they ever were supposed to be. The Datograph is fairly close to a perfect watch. Maybe as close as anything out there

Last edited:

tigerpac

Reaction score
In regards to the Datagraph. A bit of a busy dial that leaves me just a little cold. While the movement is beautiful, I'd head elsewhere at that price point if I had it burning my wallet. (And yes, I've handled both versions in person.)

dan'l

Reaction score
Thanks, yes, the CPCP is a very nice line of watches. Both the standard size and XL are quite nice depending on one's preferences. If purchasing, make sure that the price is correct if its coming without all the goodies. The CPCP goodies list included 2 which cardboard boxes with "Cartier" in gold on the top, one housed a red leather box with gold hinges and it says Collection Privee Cartier Paris (this is larger than the standard red box and as mentioned it says CPCP), then the other cardboard box housed a wooden box containing a loup, polishing cloth, travel pouch, and there are a few slots for cufflinks and other items. Below is a full set of what came with CPCP watches. Sorry, took the photos a while ago, so not the best photos, but it gives an idea of what comes with it. Many times people just put the CPCP in the basic red Box that most other Cartiers come in, but its not the original or correct box. Cheers!
Dino, thanks for the intel on the CPCP trimmings. The ones I was looking at didn't have all of that - not a deal-breaker, but I'm in no hurry so would be nice to wait and see if I can get a full set.
I searched high and low and finally picked up a CPCP watch that I've been lusting after earlier this year. I managed to get one with papers and box, albeit only with the large red one stamped CPCP. The smaller wooden box with the loupe, etc. was not included. It seems hard to find much information on the CPCP watches, so I really appreciate your post, Dino, though it was a bit late to help with my purchase! I've seen various levels of "completeness" while searching, i.e. no box, big box only, small box only, etc. I was happy when I found mine - the smaller wooden box would have been a nice bonus, but I guess the previous owner held onto it.

Mcbeck

Reaction score
This is my Speedy Pro ... the sapphire sandwich version. Took a few pics a couple years ago when I first bought it.
attachment.php

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The original Datograph isn't loved universally here - for aesthetic reasons alone, I think (eh, Dino!): the eclectic mix of sticks and Romans being the primary issue. But since the newer Up/Down version arrived and the used prices of these fell a bit, even bums like me start to dream. I love Dino's Cayman S - it's even a great colour. But I'd buy this instead!

Nothing looks better from the back than a Lange, and this is one of the best examples ever. If Philippe Dufour says it's the best serially-produced watch available, then who am I to argue? I never tire of looking at these. One day...

Oh, Mimo...bringing me into this huh? Yes, the dial is a deal breaker for me on the Datographs. As you know the mix of sticks, Romans, and Arabic numerals has always been a sore spot for me. The up down, model has thankfully cleaned up that issue. Still, its not my grail watch...although the movement is beautiful. As for the car vs the Datograph...cars are the spring/summer hobby, and watches the fall winter/hobby. If I got rid of one hobby, I could spend more on the other, but I can't seem to give up either one of them.

I should also mention that while Mrs. Dino is interested in watches and my collecting, However, she gets more enjoyment from us driving to a lunch destination while enjoying some scenic, country roads in sports cars, with a group of like minded car friends. So when Mrs. Dino said we she buy another sports car who was I to argue?

Lunch trip photos...needless to say we took the scenic route rather than the short cut to get there.

My guess is that anyone who doesn't love it has just never seen one in person. That's a problem with seeing watches only on the computer. Things are magnified more than they ever were supposed to be. The Datograph is fairly close to a perfect watch. Maybe as close as anything out there
Sorry, but that's not accurate. I've seen it in person, tried it on (in platinum and in rose gold), and I love the movement, but I don't love the dial or its aesthetics. I find the mix of Romans, sticks, and Arabic numerals, messy and annoying. Thankfully, that has been resolved with the up down version. I also don't love the way the subdials are set low on the dial, although I realize that makes room for the Grand Date, although that forces them to use chopped double sticks as a 12 marker (again not fond of that). These are certainly very subjective issues, but on watches in thia price range, I'd have to love everything about them. Lange makes exceptional watches, the Dataograph just isn't for me...but that leaves more Datographs for the rest of you.
wink.gif
Cheers!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I searched high and low and finally picked up a CPCP watch that I've been lusting after earlier this year. I managed to get one with papers and box, albeit only with the large red one stamped CPCP. The smaller wooden box with the loupe, etc. was not included.

It seems hard to find much information on the CPCP watches, so I really appreciate your post, Dino, though it was a bit late to help with my purchase! I've seen various levels of "completeness" while searching, i.e. no box, big box only, small box only, etc. I was happy when I found mine - the smaller wooden box would have been a nice bonus, but I guess the previous owner held onto it.
Hi Congrats on your CPCP watch! Which model did you choose? As for all the CPCP extras, at least yours came with the papers and the original CPCP red box (which is much nicer than the basic red Cartier box). Yes, many have no box and papers or if they have a box its not the correct CPCP box, its the small, basic red Cartier box used for the the standard models such as Calibres, Santos, or or Ballon Bleus. The CPCP watches were only made for about 10 years and in very small batches. A friend of mine has roughly 10 different CPCP watches and each is fascinating and beautiful.There are several books about Cartier which may have some helpful information if you are searching for another CPCP watch, but I'm not sure that many focus on CPCP offerings. I have a few catalogs from the later years of the CPCP production, so I may be able to answer some questions about a few models. There are also a few Cartier forms at TZ and Puristspro that you might find helpful. Congrats again on your CPCP watch and mine says hello to yours. Cheers!

Dachshund

Reaction score
Some nice Lotus action there - good to see some old Esprits.

And there's that CPCP tank again!

:bounce2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads