• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerpac

Reaction score
Step away for the weekend and missed the latest pissing contest - and some lovely photos. Keep the later coming boys!

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finally pulled the trigger on a watch I had been eying for years. Will post pictures over the weekend. It is pre-1970.

The new (old) watch is a GMT 1675 from the late 60s. I have been lusting after this watch for a number of years, certainly in part because of all the pictures I saw in this thread. About 9 months ago, I came upon an intriguing example of a 1675 on Instagram via analog/shift. After a number of forum members vouched for a/s, i visited James (the founder/CEO) at his office in NY. For anyone that is interested in vintage watches, I would definitely recommend spending time with James, he is a cool guy and enjoys sitting around and talking about watches, never with any hint of a hard sell. Ultimately, I passed on the 1675 I had inquired about because frankly, it just looked too old. This is definitely part of my conflict with vintage watches - I like them in theory and enjoy the aesthetics of older eras but cant really get behind anything with a ton of patina or use.

A few weeks ago I decided to reach back out to James after seeing a picture of a 16750 he had posted. This one looked promising - a newer model meant fewer of the wear issues I was concerned with. However, when I looked over the watch and compared it to a 1675 that happened to be in the office I quickly realized it didnt speak to me. I much prefer the matte dial of the 1675 vs. the glossy dial on the 16750. The 1675 that I had stumbled upon though seemed to check my boxes - it was in great shape and really spoke to me when I tried it on a strap. I think the strap adds a bit more of a casual air that appeals to me vs. a bracelet.

It turns out that the 1675 in question had its dial replaced at some point in the 70s. I believe James knew this from the lume plots / tritium aging. This explained why in part it was in such good shape for a watch of its age. After some debate, I decided that as long as the dial was period correct (which it was), I was comfortable with it not being original. My biggest hang-up was the impact a replacement dial would have on resale value. Ultimately, I will cross that bridge when I get to it. The positive is that I can now watch the vintage process unfold under my ownership vs. inheriting someone else's experience.

Anyways, long ramble that I am sure no one will read. The summary is that I found a watch that I love and a dealer that I recommend highly.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Beautiful watch! Congrats. Glad you didn't let re-sale value get in the way of something you wanted.

(I read your story from cover to cover) Thanks for sharing.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Going back to a daily beater/tool watch which earlier I ask about some suggestions. I finally made my decision on this watch. Early X'mas Present for myself.
The SINN EZM 3. Very under the radar with its matt finishes. Sometimes I think the sub is a lil flashy due to the superb polishing and the shiny ceramic bezel. Perfect size, the u2 is too large and thick for me. At its price point, I think its the most bang for buck tool watch. Swimming, to the beach, trekking, whatever, I wouldn't think twice about removing it.
Very nice looking Sinn. I've had a U1 for a few years now and it's always one of my most worn watches but lately I've been thinking of adding an EZM to my collection because I really like the size while maintaining a very tool-ish look.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new (old) watch is a GMT 1675 from the late 60s. I have been lusting after this watch for a number of years, certainly in part because of all the pictures I saw in this thread.My biggest hang-up was the impact a replacement dial would have on resale value. Ultimately, I will cross that bridge when I get to it. The positive is that I can now watch the vintage process unfold under my ownership vs. inheriting someone else's experience.

Anyways, long ramble that I am sure no one will read. The summary is that I found a watch that I love and a dealer that I recommend highly.
Congrats on your GMT! I hope it will give you many years of enjoyment. Its always great to read about the various issues that arise with a purchase and how an owner decides which watch is the right choice.

As for the dial, the seller was upfront and honest, which allowed you to make an informed decision. Without getting into cost, it was probably less expensive than if you insisted on a piece with a mint condition original dial, so there was probably some savings up front, and maybe the resale will matter less to you in the future. In the end, its a great watch and I'm sure you will really enjoy it.

I definitely understand the struggle one goes through in finding the right vintage piece, and liking the vintage look, but not some of the "Patina" that can come with certain examples. Its probably why I have yet to take the vintage plunge myself, although I have considered it. If I do take the vintage plunge at some point, I will probably consider a Pepsi GMT (and like you I will need to search for one without too much "Patina" for my taste). Congrats again and enjoy your GMT!

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your GMT! I hope it will give you many years of enjoyment. Its always great to read about the various issues that arise with a purchase and how an owner decides which watch is the right choice.

+1

That's a beautiful 1675. If you're anything like me, it will be hard to remove from your wrist.

bahlsdheep

Reaction score
Some awesome stuff in here.

Quick picks of my current favourite daily wearer. Speedmaster Pro 50th anniversary "patch." Always wanted a speedy and just had to have this one when they came out in '09.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love that Tudor. Waiting on my AD to get one in stock - hopefully a Christmas/New Years' present to myself!!!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Can't beat this watch in this price range

Steve,

Although everyone enjoys looking at watch pics, I can't help feeling that yours do not have any point. Other than promoting your (used/grey?) dealer business as linked in your sig. Of course it's all perfectly within the rules, but picture after picture with essentially no commentary or context, starts to look like spam. And that is unwelcome.

I like the Black Bay too, though.

SteveH35

Reaction score
Steve,

Although everyone enjoys looking at watch pics, I can't help feeling that yours do not have any point. Other than promoting your (used/grey?) dealer business as linked in your sig. Of course it's all perfectly within the rules, but picture after picture with essentially no commentary or context, starts to look like spam. And that is unwelcome.

WTF? The whole thread is for watch pics.
censored.gif

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Steve, 

Although everyone enjoys looking at watch pics, I can't help feeling that yours do not have any point.  Other than promoting your (used/grey?) dealer business as linked in your sig.  Of course it's all perfectly within the rules, but picture after picture with essentially no commentary or context, starts to look like spam.  And that is unwelcome.

WTF? The whole thread is for watch pics. :censored:

But it is not a shopfront.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads