• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novelty77

Reaction score

The low price is a combination of the brand and the skeleton design.  Corum, as a brand has never had a very strong following so it generally does poorly in the second hand market.  

Skeleton designs are something only to be purchased pre-owned, as they are very expensive new, have limited resale value and can be tough to resell (even when they are made by PP, AP, or VC).  It's cool to see all the parts finished and engraved, but a lot of collectors don't care for them.  One of the biggest issues is that people say, it looks great on a white piece of paper or when held up in the air.  However, I've heard lots of people say, they don't like seeing their skin and wrist hair through the watch.  Hence, more people seem to enjoy/prefer an exhibition back to a fully skeletonized watch.  

Thanks for the insight on collector's view on skeleton design. Abit similar to the cariter .

Indeed it does look grotesque. Skin colour and the dial doesnt match up. Well i'll still go try it on and see how it looks on my wrist. I'm particularly interested in this watch mostly because of its artistic aspect. The golden bridge reminds me of a chinese goddess holding 2 swords at the 10:10.the balance wheel look like a circle of aura radiating from the head.

But i guess its like u said. It only looks good on white background.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight on collector's view on skeleton design. Abit similar to the cariter .

Indeed it does look grotesque. Skin colour and the dial doesnt match up. Well i'll still go try it on and see how it looks on my wrist. I'm particularly interested in this watch mostly because of its artistic aspect. The golden bridge reminds me of a chinese goddess holding 2 swords at the 10:10.the balance wheel look like a circle of aura radiating from the head.

But i guess its like u said. It only looks good on white background.

As you can see, I had the same hairy wrist issue when trying on the above 2 skeletonized Cartiers, one of which apparently, you have also tried. I think the skin and hair ia going to be an even bigger issue with the Golden Bridge Corum you are looking at because of the very small movement relative to the case size, which results in very large open sections where your wrist will be visible through the sapphire crystal. I agree, skeletonized watches are a true art form, one that is often forgotten and under appreciated in a modern world of over sized watches. Only you can decide if this is the watch for you. However, as mentioned, if you decide to buy it get the best deal you can possibly get, and try to be sure its a keeper, as this could be a very very difficult watch to resell, or you might lose a lot when you sell or trade it, both because of its skeletonized design and the brand. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I finally got a chance to handle the Globemaster. Wasn't crazy about it to be honest. It certainly is a handsome enough watch, and an achievement of a movement. But it felt so derivative on so man levels and the case was... well... nothings to get crazy about.
The bracelet reminds me of that which came with the pre moon Speedy.

bahlsdheep

Reaction score
It is kind of "meh." I've never really been a fan of fluted bezzels, outside of perhaps the original Datejust or President. Agree it does look like the original speedy strap, but doesn't work as well here as it looks too chunky on the smaller/sleeker watch. I think it looks better on a leather strap.

The LE version of this looks awesome (the white gold on croc version).

Novelty77

Reaction score

As you can see, I had the same hairy wrist issue when trying on the above 2 skeletonized Cartiers, one of which apparently, you have also tried. I think the skin and hair ia going to be an even bigger issue with the Golden Bridge Corum you are looking at because of the very small movement relative to the case size, which results in very large open sections where your wrist will be visible through the sapphire crystal. I agree, skeletonized watches are a true art form, one that is often forgotten and under appreciated in a modern world of over sized watches. Only you can decide if this is the watch for you. However, as mentioned, if you decide to buy it get the best deal you can possibly get, and try to be sure its a keeper, as this could be a very very difficult watch to resell, or you might lose a lot when you sell or trade it, both because of its skeletonized design and the brand. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Just to make things clear, that cartier was a googled pic. I didn't try it. And I most definitely agree on the selling part. If I were to make the purchase, it would be like buying a piece of art instead of a watch. So its 12k immortalise into a watch. That skeletonized tank looks beat up, are u at some sort of meet up or something? doesn't seem like boutique quality.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to make things clear, that cartier was a googled pic. I didn't try it. And I most definitely agree on the selling part. If I were to make the purchase, it would be like buying a piece of art instead of a watch. So its 12k immortalise into a watch. That skeletonized tank looks beat up, are u at some sort of meet up or something? doesn't seem like boutique quality.
I specifically emphasized the tough resell trade issue because you seem to sell/trade watches quite soon after you purchase them. For me although the case shape and movement are unusual, there is just far too much empty space with that style of movement , but if you love it, go for it.

As for the skeletonized Tank that was taken in the boutique and it was a brand new, perfect example. What you are noticing are marks on the plastic covering to protect the case (if you click on the photo to enlarge it, you will see where the plastic ends, going across the sections of the croc straps that closest to the case). My SA offered to take the plastic off, but I told her that wouldn't be necessary, (I wasn't seriously contemplating a purchase that day). Cheers and good luck with whatever you decide about the Corum.

papa kot

Reaction score

But what was going on with that date window? Something out of alignment?

The if this is indeed an indication of a future date change, as indicated in the prior post, then Omega has a lot of learning to do.

Here is how Glashutte Original handles date change:

Dachshund

Reaction score
+1 - my 70s Rolex flicks over bang on midnight. It doesn't start thinking about it and preparing itself at ten o'clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads