• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Dino944 gave you the definitive answer regard the 16550.

Yes, beyond the short production run, I wasn't clear enough, but yes the "defective" white dial turning yellow is a large part of the reason for the price difference. Rolex collectors seem to go crazy and pay premiums for defective dials that change color be it a Patrizzi Steel Daytona (the off white colored subdials turned brown), or old Explorer and Sub dials that turned from black to brown.

I don't think the black dial 16550 commands the same price difference that the cream/yellow dials do, largely because most people can't easily tell that the black dial is a 16550 rather than a 16570. I don't like the combination of the white gold markers on the yellow colored dial, so for me the premium would be a complete waste. I'd rather have a 16570 and put the price difference into another watch, but to each his own. Clearly there are enough who like the yellow it to support their current prices.

Because @Dino944 is one KICK A** DEFINITIVE DUDE.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because @Dino944 is one KICK A** DEFINITIVE DUDE.
Thanks Frills!
fistbump.gif

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cuteness level overload!

clb89

Reaction score

I went all out this year lol added these two after purchasing the Chopard
edit* I forgot about my SD lol! This hobby is such a financial burden

Last edited:

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kicking tires in Knightsbridge at the Omega Boutique.

I finally got a chance to handle the Globemaster.

Wasn't crazy about it to be honest. It certainly is a handsome enough watch, and an achievement of a movement. But it felt so derivative on so man levels and the case was... well... nothings to get crazy about.

I did rather like the DeVille Tresor in white gold with textured silver dial.

But what was going on with that date window? Something out of alignment?

The caseback sure was lovely to look at.

My GMT making friends.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone has experience with authenticwatches or watchesonnet, there some good deals on Omega (yes I realize they're not AD...)

Iyor

Reaction score

I did rather like the DeVille Tresor in white gold with textured silver dial. But what was going on with that date window? Something out of alignment?
Based on the time, I think that the gears are starting to change the date.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As long as it went to a boutique, it will be fine since they will send it to the main service center for you.  I always tell people NOT to use an AD or gray to send it in for service if you want to be sure that it is serviced by a factory authorized service center.  A friend of mine bought a Breitling chronograph from a big name AD that will remain nameless, and when it was due for a service he brought it there and asked them to send it in for service. When the watch was returned to him it had problems and he wasn't happy with the refinishing of the watch, so brought it back to the AD.  They said they would send it back to the service center.  When it came back it had some other problem and he wasn't happy with the re-do of the refinish so he called the Breitling service center directly.  He discovered they had no record of the watch and that they never worked on it, so the AD either tried doing the work inhouse or sent it to a local place rather than sending it directly to the manufacturer's service center (to try and pocket the difference between a factory service and the local service guy).  My friend complained to the AD but he ultimately solved the issue by trading it toward something else.  However, he learned if you want factory service, bring it to a boutique or send it directly to the factory service center yourself.  Cartier has pretty fast turn around times so you should have it back again pretty soon (if the holidays don't slow the service department down too much).  Cheers!

Just got off the phone with the boutique - $650 for a full service including case/bracelet polish.

Novelty77

Reaction score
Grats on your recent acquisitions guys!

Came across this particular watch that intrigued me deeply.
And the cost was much less i was expecting. Could the brand be the reason? Because the material:rose gold case/gold bridge/4 sided sapphire crystal and design is impeccable.
I'm talking abt the corum 50th anniversary golden bridge. Ard the 12kish usd mark.

Can anyone give me their thoughts on this watch?

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with the boutique - $650 for a full service including case/bracelet polish
Grats on your recent acquisitions guys!

Came across this particular watch that intrigued me deeply.
And the cost was much less i was expecting. Could the brand be the reason? Because the material:rose gold case/gold bridge/4 sided sapphire crystal and design is impeccable.
I'm talking abt the corum 50th anniversary golden bridge. Ard the 12kish usd mark.

Can anyone give me their thoughts on this watch?
The low price is a combination of the brand and the skeleton design. Corum, as a brand has never had a very strong following so it generally does poorly in the second hand market. In the past they have made some elegant dress watches, but they've also made some weird watches like the Rolls Royce Grill watch, the gold bullion watch, and the ugly bubble watches. Their sports watches from the Admirals Cup were ok looking many years ago, and then got sort of ugly and bulky, much like some of Zenith's sports watches from about 10 years ago.

Skeleton designs are something only to be purchased pre-owned, as they are very expensive new, have limited resale value and can be tough to resell (even when they are made by PP, AP, or VC). It's cool to see all the parts finished and engraved, but a lot of collectors don't care for them. One of the biggest issues is that people say, it looks great on a white piece of paper or when held up in the air. However, I've heard lots of people say, they don't like seeing their skin and wrist hair through the watch. Hence, more people seem to enjoy/prefer an exhibition back to a fully skeletonized watch.

In general the golden bridge watch is interesting and has been around for a number of years. I think they were first shown many years ago with round cases. While the concept is cool, I don't think I'd park $12K in one. But if it puts a smile on your face, go for it! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads