• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I don't think I ever had a Squadra on my wrist.

Stitchy had one that he really liked (but sold or traded it I think, when he got his RO) ... but I can't recall many of them being posted here.

For kicks, here's my Grande Reverso Ultra Thin:

Not yet engraved, but I think I will get a family monogram of some sort, eventually.

Or maybe gift it to my son, with something hyper-meaningful on there.

It's a lot of pressure (!) when I think about it. Took me months to pick the damn watch in the first place :happy:

How in the world does anyone ever decide on a tattoo?!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I ever had a Squadra on my wrist.
You aren't missing anything! A friend's husband has one and I really dislike its proportions. The rectangular manual wind Reverso is the way to go IMHO.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not yet engraved, but I think I will get a family monogram of some sort, eventually.

Or maybe gift it to my son, with something hyper-meaningful on there.

It's a lot of pressure (!) when I think about it. Took me months to pick the damn watch in the first place
happy.gif

How in the world does anyone ever decide on a tattoo?!

No kidding. On top of that I'd be worried that I'd get sick of the engraving. I would just leave it alone as it's beautiful as is.

You aren't missing anything! A friend's husband has one and I really dislike its proportions. The rectangular manual wind Reverso is the way to go IMHO.

I agree. Somewhat not a Reverso if you ask me. Loses it's appeal.

That's interesting @culverwood - I'm curious to find out.

I don't know how I've never seen this but there's a limited Italian edition Reverso - 150 pieces released in 2011 with a R where the 8 goes.

My daughter (aka the love of my life) was born in 2011 and her name begins with R. I feel incredibly compelled to find one of these...must have piece confirmed.

http://hoodinkee-beta.squarespace.c...ounces-a-master-ultra-thin-reverso-limit.html

That would be great. She could then inherit someday. I think the watch could easily be considered unisex considering it's width. Love it in the rose gold. "R" has no significance to me, but I still like it a lot.

McWu

Reaction score

I've just read in an interview in the latest Calibre magazine that JLC are consolidating the Reverso range down to 6 cases from a current 20+. I wonder which ones will be the stayers? Perhaps this is the end of the line for the Squadra.

One could only hope!

:D

McWu

Reaction score
In honor of the much-hyped announcement of the Black Black Bay, I'm wearing this rare transitional today:

WE90bu6.jpg

Tudor 94010 Snowflake with round markers - produced in, as far as I can glean, very small numbers. It's even got the mismatched pearl, like the new Black Bay.

:cheers:

dukerules

Reaction score
In honor of the much-hyped announcement of the Black Black Bay, I'm wearing this rare transitional today:

WE90bu6.jpg

Tudor 94010 Snowflake with round markers - produced in, as far as I can glean, very small numbers. It's even got the mismatched pearl, like the new Black Bay.

cheers.gif
Bows down (let me know when you sell it).

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There were couple galleries and an article I posted a while back on the history and process of the reverse engravings. Some of the pieces were so impressive they were fully color enameled, miniature works of art. Quite amazing.

Quite a steal at $26,400.

If you mean they steal your money in return for that monstrosity, then a steal it is.

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I agree dino, but If Rolex themselves were ever to produce something like that, it would destroy the universe.

How long have folks been dreaming about something similar...stainless/ceramic/Newman-style?

Make a white dial version with some red accents? In-house chrono? Heck, I'd probably sell a kidney if I had to.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much-hyped, maybe... but look at this thing.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/t...lack-bay-black-reference-79220n-by-john-mayer

I always told myself I'd never spend over 1000 CDN for a watch... but look at this thing.

What's the general feeling in here on the 2824 movement under the hood of this? I'm assuming it's not even in the same ballpark as the other ETAs that get passed around, with Rolex adding their own unique touches to it... all the same, if the market and the owner assign value to this watch, than value is what it has. A 2824 should be relatively inexpensive to repair and service when the time comes, anyhow. Still, it would make an interesting discussion between this and the many-thousand-dollar cheaper Squale (or equivalent sub clone)...

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I saw that J C Randell retired a few months ago--who's the best out there now? Unfortunately missed out on having him do it. I'd prefer an artisan over sending it to Le Sentier.

Wow, sad to hear that.  Those will be some big shoes to fill !!!

Not to say that JC wore baby's shoes but........

ino68

Reaction score
Does the black bay really use Arial as its font?

Usually Arial tends to look ugly as hell, but the font on the black bay works well!

It also makes the Sub look gaudy and overdone.

Great watch, and it looks just right on a strap!

StylinProfilin

Reaction score
I'm looking for a versatile daily dress watch and I think I'm settled on a rolex but open to other suggestions.

I'm looking for a pre-owned datejust II with a blue dial and fluted bezel. Good starter dress watch? What would be the going rate for one in excellent condition?

Anyone got any good places, I can comparison shop for one?

Similar to this...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads