• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made a purchase. It should be here Friday. :)

Winot

Reaction score
I made a purchase too. They had the Exp. II tax free at LHR and I couldn't resist. Photo from SFO, about to fly to LAX then home.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What? No rants yet about the Hodinkee Summit? Wow, what's happening to TWAT?

1. By invite only - so apply if you want to attend. Limited to 100 slots.

2. "This is not about getting the wealthiest collectors in the world together – but the most passionate." <- Quote from the site/entry.

3. If accepted, it will cost $3,500 for a couple of days.

Comments?

I "applied" for an invitation, as much out of curiosity as anything else. I doubt that I'll get selected, but if I do I can then decide if I want to go. It seemed to me that it's at least an excuse for a weekend trip to NYC (and it's been quite a few years) and I might learn something. I don't need anyone to tell me what to buy, either, but knowledge is a useful thing to have and if I learn something then all well and good.

So we shall see what transpires.

Last edited:

Dillardiv

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I just had a few hours to kill in New York and walked around looking at watches. For reference, I own one watch, a Rolex GMT BLNR. I looked at a few sizes of Panerai radiomirs. I really liked the 512 in rose gold (boutique only had it in gold). It's got a nice profile and cool look. The bigger options just aren't for me.

JLC is right next door. I looked at the 1931 Reverso and it fit my wrist well. The Master Ultrathin Moon in gold was very handsome. That was definitely my favorite. I think I'd love a Reverso some day, but at my age, not feeling a need right now.

Went to AP. I can't keep the references straight, but I looked at the 41mm Royal Oak in stainless (second hand only) and I THINK the 39 mm version without a second hand in rose gold. The gold is pretty wild in person. Lots of weight to it obviously. I really liked the way light catches the beveling on the bracelet in both versions.

Finally saw a Patek perpetual calendar in person. Pretty spectacular.

I've been keeping my eyes open for something a little more casual. I think the 512 fits the bill and will probably be my next purchase. I am also looking at possibly getting a 337 second hand. I want to wear it on a burgundy strap, and I think the dial on the 337 is the more brown color vs the black 512. Anyone have ideas on that?

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Dillardiv, If you mean strap ideas (for any Panerai, really) then there's certainly no shortage.

The "accessories corner" at paneristi.com = ultimate rabbit hole for starters.

Wouldn't say I'm a fan of burgundy straps in particular, but something like a #8 Shell Cordovan would probably look pretty good on either of those watches. (And unless I'm mistaken, the 337 is just a matte black dial).

On the topic of the Hodinkee collector's thing, I'm also more in the camp of, "Hell, for $3500, I'd rather buy a Nomos" .... but my initial comment was really more of a reflection that at least the "lucky" NYCers have the opportunity for attending that type of event. (Not that Houston is some backwater town, and I honestly had not yet absorbed all of the details of what was supposed to go down there with Hodinkee).

Having said that, I've often lamented the lack of face-to-face / personal contact that I've been able to experience with this beloved pastime, and that's despite my natural inclination to be more of an introvert.

My daughter once made a comment along the lines of, "Wow Dad, you *really* seemed to enjoy talking with that watch salesman. I thought you were going to be in there all day" :happy:

So, from that perspective, I think it would really be fun. Maybe not $3500 fun.... but, fun.

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Because the chance that someone willing to pay $3,500 for this event being told "there is no room" or "you are not a real collector" is less than zero. If you have a pulse and check and are willing to give them the marketing information that they requested, you will be "admitted."

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strap-chopping.

I'm digging this combo. The yellow in the leather really brings out the lume.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I made a purchase too. They had the Exp. II tax free at LHR and I couldn't resist. Photo from SFO, about to fly to LAX then home.

Thanks for posting that — it's nice to see that you snagged one! Great choice and fantastic watch; I'd love to hear your thoughts about it when you get a chance.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey gang,

I just had a few hours to kill in New York and walked around looking at watches. For reference, I own one watch, a Rolex GMT BLNR. I looked at a few sizes of Panerai radiomirs. I really liked the 512 in rose gold (boutique only had it in gold). It's got a nice profile and cool look. The bigger options just aren't for me.

I've been keeping my eyes open for something a little more casual. I think the 512 fits the bill and will probably be my next purchase. I am also looking at possibly getting a 337 second hand. I want to wear it on a burgundy strap, and I think the dial on the 337 is the more brown color vs the black 512. Anyone have ideas on that?
Not a fan of burgundy straps on watches. Especially if the version you are considering is rose gold. Cartier used to pair some of their watches with burgundy straps, and it never looked right. It didn't really compliment the rose gold. I'd much rather have a dark brown strap, maybe something with white stitching if you want a sportier look. A few guys here have but watches with black dials on dark brown straps with white stitching and it looked fantastic.

In the end as Keith said, there are tons of options for Panerais. Strap purchasing is practically an addiction for some Panerai owners. Good luck!

Strap-chopping.

I'm digging this combo. The yellow in the leather really brings out the lume.
Sorry not a fan of that strap at all. I know straps like that can be pricey, but it looks like it was made from an old leather belt that accidentally went in the washing machine. Also not a fan of that style with white stop points on the strap. Personally, I prefer a sports Rolex on a bracelet, but if putting it on a strap, I'd rather see it on a traditional NATO or a black strap, or maybe a very very dark brown strap with white stitching. I find the idea of trying to have the strap match the lum plots a bit too "Matchy matchy" or trying too hard. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry not a fan of that strap at all.
 I know straps like that can be pricey, but it looks like it was made from an old leather belt that accidentally went in the washing machine. Also not a fan of that style with white stop points on the strap.  Personally, I prefer a sports Rolex on a bracelet, but if putting it on a strap, I'd rather see it on a traditional NATO or a black strap, or maybe a very very dark brown strap with white stitching.  I find the idea of trying to have the strap match the lum plots a bit too "Matchy matchy" or trying too hard.  Good luck with whatever you decide. 

While old-timey-lookin' leather straps on vintage divers' watches seem to be trendy, I'm not much of a fan, either.

The leather-strap-on-a-diver's-watch to "slicks on a 4X4" comparison is used so often that I consider it cliché, but it's true. NATO is fine, especially with drilled lugs or fixed bars. Anything that you wouldn't want to get wet... forget it. Don't even get me started on the cottage industry of canvas straps made from moldy old army tents or whatever. :p

Edit: $149 for that one seems a bit excessive, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads