• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerpac

Reaction score

Any thoughts on Rolex explorer 1 vs Sinn 556?

Explorer 1 looks much cleaner and a more polished overall candidate. Also, don't like the bracelet integration on the 556.

Full disclosure - I own an Explorer 1

pmeis

Reaction score
Just heard form my Dealer that Nomos expects to ship out the next batch of Metro's by the end of the month...getting really antsy for it. Sold off all my watches except for my PAM in anticipation of this watch figuring I'd have it by the end of July. As much as I love my PAM, wearing one watch for a month and a half is really working up the anticipation.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Explorer l. Full disclosure too ;)

I sold my Sinn 556...I found it a bit cold.

iLuveketchup

Reaction score
I'd choose the 114270 w/o a doubt. If you are talking about the 214270, then I'd choose something else. 114270 was the last nice watch from Rolex, IMO. I regret selling mine.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My vote is for the Explorer I. Classic, clean design, versatile, rugged in house movement. I like some of the Sinn products (I really liked a Sinn chronograph my friend owned), but the 566 just looks sort of generic to me.

I cast my vote - as a former Explorer I owner. I had ref 114270, the last of the 36mm Ex1s. I only sold it to help fund another watch and keep my collection at a size where things are still getting a reasonable amount of wrist time. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Pam 62. I seem to recall the literature at the time called it grey gold rather than white gold.

Novelty77

Reaction score
Hey guys! Need some suggestions here. My wedding anniversary is coming and I would like to get a couple watch for my wife and myself. The only option I have now is the cartier Santos. Any other suggestion to look our for? Budget Ard 10k usd.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Need some suggestions here. My wedding anniversary is coming and I would like to get a couple watch for my wife and myself. The only option I have now is the cartier Santos. Any other suggestion to look our for? Budget Ard 10k usd.
I guess I would ask, does your wife have any interest in watches or know much about them? Many women I know, whether they are into watches or not, seem to like Cartier watches. When I was getting my wife her first "Good watch" I took her to look at a bunch of watches, Rolex, Chopard, GP, GO, and a few others...she really just wanted a Cartier. Later on she got a Rolex Datejust, but she wears her Cartier far more. Is the budget $10K for both watche combined? Also, do they have to be new? If not you might have more options. For now I'll presume just new. There are other Cartiers you could consider in the Tank line up that would fall within that budget. IMHO, its hard to find a pair of watches in the under $10K range that have the timeless style of a Tank. There are other square or rectangular watches on the market, and many borrow elements from the Tank...but the Tank is an original classic. It brings pares a rectangular design down to its bare essentials, and manages to look great with a suit or with jeans on more casual days. I have 2 Cartiers and I really like each of them a lot. Its a brand that is often mistakenly overlooked as just a jewelry brand, but they have made many important contributions to the world of watches, and make a very high quality product. Some of their more basic pieces use ETA movements, but they are good solid work horse movements. Its definitely a brand worth considering. If you stretched a bit beyond the $10K you might be able to get his and hers steel Rolex DJs. There aren't that many other brands in your range that make offerings that I truly like on both a man and a woman.

Good luck. Below are a few Cartier pix for inspiration.
My Tank XL with Mrs. Dino's Tank Francaise in the background

Vintage Pasha 950 Chronograph

Last edited:

IGotId

Reaction score
40mm with date:

PAM 62 in white gold and PAM 103 in rose gold.

Thanks. Are there any 40 or 42mm Radiomirs with a date in SS?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A quick search turns up PAM 98 and 141, both steel and 42mm with date. There may be others...

Novelty77

Reaction score

I guess I would ask, does your wife have any interest in watches or know much about them? Many women I know, whether they are into watches or not, seem to like Cartier watches. When I was getting my wife her first "Good watch" I took her to look at a bunch of watches, Rolex, Chopard, GP, GO, and a few others...she really just wanted a Cartier. Later on she got a Rolex Datejust, but she wears her Cartier far more. Is the budget $10K for both watche combined? Also, do they have to be new? If not you might have more options. For now I'll presume just new. There are other Cartiers you could consider in the Tank line up that would fall within that budget. IMHO, its hard to find a pair of watches in the under $10K range that have the timeless style of a Tank. There are other square or rectangular watches on the market, and many borrow elements from the Tank...but the Tank is an original classic. It brings pares a rectangular design down to its bare essentials, and manages to look great with a suit or with jeans on more casual days. I have 2 Cartiers and I really like each of them a lot. Its a brand that is often mistakenly overlooked as just a jewelry brand, but they have made many important contributions to the world of watches, and make a very high quality product. Some of their more basic pieces use ETA movements, but they are good solid work horse movements. Its definitely a brand worth considering. If you stretched a bit beyond the $10K you might be able to get his and hers steel Rolex DJs. There aren't that many other brands in your range that make offerings that I truly like on both a man and a woman. Good luck. Below are a few Cartier pix for inspiration. My Tank XL with Mrs. Dino's Tank Francaise in the background Vintage Pasha 950 Chronograph
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be looking at the preown market most likely as I can get more choices that are within my budget. Jist ard 10k for both. She already has a DJ and bracelet really isnt her thing The parsha does have some middle eastern feel to it ain't it? Those tanks are a beauty esp the rose gold one. XL Ard 38mm I assume? Perfect size imo. Speaking of square watches, I'm looking at reverso as well, a ultra thin reverso limited ed italy just came in the preown market can could be a good excuse to get it. Hahahaha.... now I just have to find a ladies reverso..

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be looking at the preown market most likely as I can get more choices that are within my budget. Jist ard 10k for both. She already has a DJ and bracelet really isnt her thing

The parsha does have some middle eastern feel to it ain't it? Those tanks are a beauty esp the rose gold one. XL Ard 38mm I assume? Perfect size imo. Speaking of square watches, I'm looking at reverso as well, a ultra thin reverso limited ed italy just came in the preown market can could be a good excuse to get it. Hahahaha.... now I just have to find a ladies reverso..
Yes, the Pasha may have a bit of Middle Eastern influence. Cartier says it is based on a watch they designed for one of their best customers of the early 20th Century, the Pasha of Marrakech, who wanted a watch he could wear in his swimming pool. There are a few issues that have come to light and most with a knowledge of Cartier products know that is probably more fiction than fact. In any events, the Pasha from 1985 through about 2008 or so was based on a design from the 1940s that Gerald Genta "Revised/freshened up" a bit.

Pre-owned will give you far more options. I was thinking new which would allow for new Tank Solos, but if going pre-owned there are many more options, and in some cases the men's versions will have more interesting movements than simply ETAs. Cartiers unless you go with some of their higher end pieces (gold tend to have movements based on Piaget, JLC, F. Pigeut etc) most will have ETA movements. Nothing wrong with that, just you may prefer something more interesting. As for the measurement of the Tank XL, its around 38 in length. Its been a while and I don't have my reference materials handy at the moment. Still, I think you will find square and rectangular watches wear larger than round ones...so more average sized measurements will look larger on your wrist.

I would definitely go with a Reverso. Great movement, classic lines, historic design and a very cool watch. If you get models with solid backs, you can have initials or other things engraved by a master engraver such as JC Randell. He does some amazing work and someone here had an engraving done on a Reverso Ultra thin a while back and it looked amazing! You should check out his work. Wishing you luck!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
As soon as I saw the Cartier suggestion, I thought of the Reverso: I've been thinking about a Tank Solo XL for ages, but decided that really I'd rather have a Reverso at some point in the future and they rather fill the same space in my mind. Of course, as Dino said, Cartier has a powerful brand magic, especially with the ladies, and if that's what the lady wants, then it's very easy to find "his and hers" sizes of not just the same brand, but the same watch. In that budget I like the Tank Anglaise - and you'll like the big steel one - but each to his own.

At $10k used, a pair of Reversos is well within reach. The great thing is that the smaller the watch, the cheaper it tends to be, and Reversos are much more popular with the gents than the ladies, so smaller ones seem to plummet in price. A "Classic" in steel for Madame, and a Tribute to 1931 (bigger) in steel for you, would be well under that budget, mint with boxes and papers. In fact, you could even make hers gold - still available cheaper than your 1931 but you look generous because "you got her a gold Reverso, and just the steel one for yourself". I just know you're getting me.
mwink[1].gif

Go into the boutique and try some for size - and for first impressions from Madame. The different sizes feel massively different on the wrist, especially give your preference for watches that are too big for you proportionally larger. I really like the 1931 on my wrist (about 7.25"), and its classic design. Though if you do want something more macho, a Squadra is a lump and it's possible to find that and a little gold classic around your $10k limit.

Come back if she doesn't like Reversos!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics