• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

linstar

Reaction score
In all seriousness, I think you should take the AD offer. Unless you would consider used anyway, chances are yoy could shave, say, a thousand bucks tops if you chase aruond the world. But that's a serious purchase, and I think if I were signing that cheque, I'd keep the warranty and the dealer relationship for the sake of, what, 7%?

Each to his own: I'd take a jump on a scruffy second hander for a big discount, but for a relatively small difference on a new beauty, I think the peace of mind has enough inherent value.

P.S. I really think it's stunning.

Well I would be searching for another watch from an AD as well, not from a sketchy source so would be looking for a brand new one with warranty. Forgot to mention that the offer from the current AD is not local as well, so the relationship isn't really pertinent. Assuming the retail price is the same as in the US in Tokyo, napkin math indicates a final price of somewhere between 11-12k USD assuming the same discount (20%) so would be a savings of 2-3k. This is however making a lot of assumptions about the price and willingness to negotiate there.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Pepsi.

@zippyh Congrats - it looks beautiful. Great shot too

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I would be searching for another watch from an AD as well, not from a sketchy source so would be looking for a brand new one with warranty. Forgot to mention that the offer from the current AD is not local as well, so the relationship isn't really pertinent. Assuming the retail price is the same as in the US in Tokyo, napkin math indicates a final price of somewhere between 11-12k USD assuming the same discount (20%) so would be a savings of 2-3k. This is however making a lot of assumptions about the price and willingness to negotiate there.
You can't necessarily presume the same discounts. I've traveled to places where the MSRP was less than in the US, but then the dealers would not discount as much and it ended up being cheaper in the US due to the discount. I haven't traveled to Asia, so I can't speak of the market for watches there or the discounts. Wishing you luck with your AP purchase.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Buying a watch in Asia.

I don't have much experience with watch-purchasing in Asia, but I do frequently visit Tokyo and I can say that bargaining is not common there. If you're buying multiple items, you'll sometimes be offered a discount but it's more common to be offered something extra, instead of a discount. For example, when I bought a camera and a couple of lenses in Tokyo some years ago, the camera store threw in a compact tripod and a Canon camera bag as a thanks gift. The same applied when my wife made a very unusual (for her) purchase of a bag and ladies' wallet from an upmarket leather brand - no discount was offered and I'm sure that none would have been given if we asked for one, but she was given a key fob free of charge.

I could be wrong, but I think that the same would apply to watches in Tokyo.

With regard to HK, haggling used to be commonplace and HK people do commonly ask for discounts and are prepared to negotiate on price. However, with the massive influx of money from the mainland and with lots of mainland Chinese spending up on luxury goods, I'm not sure whether an AD would be prepared to drop the price on a popular watch model. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about current-day HK could chime in?

Last edited:

linstar

Reaction score
Ah thanks for the insight. I've been to Tokyo before and while you are right that they throw in extras instead of discounting I thought watches would be in a separate category. I was under the assumption that watch discounting was a common practice worldwide like cars eg. discounts at ADs in the states. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head besides cars. I was assuming that Tokyo would mirror the U.S. in this regard, but guess I will just have to wait and see.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never assume the way things are done in the US is mirrored in other parts of the world. I see this so often and I never fail to shake my head at this.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bargaining is standard, even at high-end, watch shops in HK. Good discounts these days as well.

Note that company-owned boutiques will never discount.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can't necessarily presume the same discounts.  I've traveled to places where the MSRP was less than in the US, but then the dealers would not discount as much and it ended up being cheaper in the US due to the discount.  I haven't traveled to Asia, so I can't speak of the market for watches there or the discounts.  Wishing you luck with your AP purchase. 

Singapore AD is 15% standard for audemars piguet

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wired the money to PP London Monday morning, they got it today. Ships tomorrow. The waiting is killing me.

What are the odds it's sized correctly based on the wrist measurements I sent them? If it's off I'll have to drive to Atlanta to have it adjusted at Tiffany.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Garrick Shaftesbury ordered I know it is not a TWAT favourite but it suited me. No pics for some time as they are not mass produced.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Interesting brand; I like what they are doing with this iterative addition of their own parts to generic movements - and that they are open about what is what.

Which colour did you order?

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On securing the best discounts from ADs: Deal directly with the decision maker, who in most cases will not be the person showing the watches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads