• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I love it! It does seem to be slimmer (as in less thick) than regular RO chronos or am I making this up? Anyway, congrats!

I think you are right, but for a normal consumer saying its the "james cameron" one usually means the deep sea deep blue tribute to james cameron. The actual one used i don't think is a production model and is for sale. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but i think this is the case

Yes, of course. Actually, I never knew the D-blue was a tribute to the James Cameron dive, so I always had the Deep Sea Challenge in head when talking about hte James Cameron watch! I guess we all learn something everyday!

You are correct.

The name of the watch that actually made the dive is the Deepsea Challenge.

Quite the chunk of metal, isn't?

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love it! It does seem to be slimmer (as in less thick) than regular RO chronos or am I making this up? Anyway, congrats!

I think you are thinking of the offshore models when thinking of the thick ones. The Royal Oak Chrono has the chrono built into the movement while the royal oak offshore while also a chronograph is actually a modular movement, JLC if I'm not mistaken with a chrono stacked on top of it. Actually one of the ways you can tell that an offshore is real is the pushers are on a different level than the adjustment crown as well as the date being "sunken" as this is part of the JLC movement which is under the chrono

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So if I buy all my watches new from ADs and nag them a bit do I get lots of cool free stuff like that?
Or you could make your way into the hospitality/VIP area of sporting events (auto, equine, yachting in particular) which have watch companies as a major sponsor.. There you will find swag bags ubiquitous. Personally, I'm weening myself off them. :embar:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Or you could make your way into the hospitality/VIP area of sporting events (auto, equine, yachting in particular) which have watch companies as a major sponsor.. There you will find swag bags ubiquitous. Personally, I'm weening myself off them. :embar:

Absolutely! i don't even own a JLC or a frank muller but managed to snag these....

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was really learning towards the 512 as well. A few weeks ago I went into the local Tourneau while I was about town and ended up trying a few Panerais. The other one I was interested in was the 562. I became immediately taken with the 562, the brown dial, the base dial, the fact that it was massive yet incredibly light thanks to the Titanium.

Congrats! I'm not a Panerai guy, but I really like that model's use of a brown dial. I tried one on a while ago, and my wife liked it on me a lot, but It was chunkier than what I'm comfortable wearing. Anyway, enjoy it, it looks great!
cheers.gif

I opted to go for the leather strap. I hope the picture justify why I chose the leather. Anyway comes originally with the rubber strap and an additional alligator strap.
When I handle the strap, the first thing that struck me and my immediate response to the dealer, "WOW" why does the strap feels so different from the rubber on the ROO.
The softness of the rubber strap feels just like silicon unlike the rubber strap from the ROO which feels rugged and hard. This watch is just perfect for me in every sense.
even the smallest detail like when the fully close crown, the initials AP sits flush, not slanted. The leather really compliments the elegance of it's design.
Very nice! I like it a lot more than your previous ROO and I think it sits a bit better on your wrist. Congrats and enjoy!!!
cheers.gif

New in. Cartier Santos 32 mm. I love it. Hurry up Mr.Postman

Looking forward to seeing more pix when it arrives. My friend has the Santos Galbee XL and he loves it. He finds it a very versatile watch and wears it a lot when traveling.

Wow is it a club by VC or its like a owners group kinda thing?
The Hour Lounge is a watch forum sponsored by Vacheron dedicated to all things VC (so both old and new watches). As its sponsored by VC it gets Vacheron's full support, and sometimes they have contests (which are VC related) and you can win things with VC logos etc.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, of course. Actually, I never knew the D-blue was a tribute to the James Cameron dive, so I always had the Deep Sea Challenge in head when talking about hte James Cameron watch! I guess we all learn something everyday!

Quite the chunk of metal, isn't?

The DeepSea Challenge is a 55mm monster - compare that to the 44mm DSSD DBlue and the DBlue is anorexic.

The DBlue was released in August 4 amidst a firestorm of hate and recrimination. Then, the haters came around. Now, it's selling for above retail and there are long waiting lines in ADs. The manager at the Rolex boutique in London says she's never seen demand like that, even for steel Daytonas back in the day.

I was one of the early online "defenders" of the DBlue. She didn't need any defending, least of all from me, but I'm very, very happy I get to spend a lot of time with her now.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
The DeepSea Challenge is a 55mm monster - compare that to the 44mm DSSD DBlue and the DBlue is anorexic.

The DBlue was released in August 4 amidst a firestorm of hate and recrimination. Then, the haters came around. Now, it's selling for above retail and there are long waiting lines in ADs. The manager at the Rolex boutique in London says she's never seen demand like that, even for steel Daytonas back in the day.

I was one of the early online "defenders" of the DBlue. She didn't need any defending, least of all from me, but I'm very, very happy I get to spend a lot of time with her now.
Surprised you don't have a DeepSea Challenge, Frilly...... or do you ??????

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
^^^Probably has one squirreled away somewhere at stately Wayne Manor^^^ :D

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Glad to see an old-school Santos pop up here, too!

It's about at the right time where I could see some feelings of nostalgia emerging for that type of timepiece.

Talking about that 80's two-tone aesthetic, a bit smaller overall, etc....maybe the kind of watch that some of us admired as a teenager, but grew away from as we matured?

Can't speak for anybody else, but I personally wanted a Datejust like Pat Riley used to rock during the Showtime Lakers era.

Of course, that's not really "me" these days, but I have a certain ... fondness that still remains....if that makes any sense.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
On the topic of divers, and going back a few pages on TWAT .... I really, reeeeeaaaaally like that "One Watch" Tudor with the gilt dial and hands.

I even like the [COLOR=FF00AA]RED[/COLOR].

(Hell, I especially like the red).

And the gap on the bracelet doesn't bother me since it's a throw-back style, with modern size case, etc.

If they actually commercialized this style-- I would need to see it on the wrist of course-- but that one might have me breaking out the AmEx card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads