• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very nice.  Greatly prefer the 5905 to the 5960.  I've seen the 5960 and just can't warm up to it.  Its one of my least favorite models from them.  Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

Congrats!  Very nice choice...love it with the blue dial !
Incredibly boring designs, and my local dealers were always unloading them for 40% off MSRP, then eventually both ADs dumped the brand altogether.  Never interested in anything other than their 50 Fathoms...but for what it costs there are many other watches I'd rather own.  As you know through most of the original brands's history it was a mid level brand.  It was basically of of business from the late 50's/early 60s until the early 1980s, when  Biver bought the name and started a new Blanpain brand that we know today.  Very good quality movements and well made watches.  

If it catches your fancy, its a good watch and certainly something you won't see on everyone's wrist.  I'd rather have something from JLC, Piaget,(as I find their designs more appealing) or VC, AP, Patek, Lange for what their higher end models go for.  It might be something to search for on the 2nd hand market if you flip watches frequently, or care about resale (as they don't do well on the secondary market, but a LNIB could be a good value if you like BPs).  Good luck.  

^ Thanks, always good to get another perspective

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the 5960 in steel on my wrist. I mean i guess its "cool" but it seems like something you might get tired of after a while...

This is the very first time a PP model leaves me uninspired. I find the design to be quite unattractive, actually. Sorry for those who like it, but just because it says Patek Philippe on the dial doesn't mean it's a win!

Last edited:

Novelty77

Reaction score

This is the 5960 in steel on my wrist. I mean i guess its "cool" but it seems like something you might get tired of after a while...

Well doesn't that give u a reason to rotate your watches? Don't be bias give your pp squad equal love! I can help u with that if u ran out of wrist :D

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like I needed confirmation on the 512 but I tried it on again today and absolutely love it.

Annoyingly they mentioned I could put any (or none) amount down with interest free installments for up to 30 months. I have about 40% saved so it was tempting but they don't move at all on price so probably not worth it as it looks like it can be had for thousands cheaper on grey or used markets once I have the full funds. But like I said... tempting.

Also tried on the 000 which looks awesome on others but not sure if it's too thick for my 7" wrist. I think this watch looks incredible with a rough leather strap, jeans and boots and showing signs of wear. So I may consider picking one up in used and worn condition (e.g. scratches, minor dings etc) if I can find it for a decent price. I wouldn't be picky b/w 000, 005, 111 or 112 which I assume are the cheapest on the used market.

A couple of pics...

Stunning 512

And the 000 logo

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah not sure how i feel about the 5960 1/a TBH. I might consider a second hand 5960P with the grey dial though, i don't know why but i seem to like this design more than its replacement the 5905. Actually before i got the 5205 i was considering this second hand 5960P but one of the dealers here managed to get me a pretty dam good deal on a brand new 5205 so i went with that instead.

Did you not feel much more enamored of the 5960/1A when you put it on your wrist, versus seeing it in pictures? If not, then it really might not be something for you.

At that price point, and given the annual calendar complication, I've always felt like I could get a far better value with discontinued perpetual calendars in the secondary/preowned market - but that's just me. And a perpetual calendar in steel, on a bracelet, is going to be hard to find.

Anyway, at that price point I feel like the allure of any watch needs to be screaming at you with full force, with you perhaps denying yourself but really you're bursting with desire inside. There can't be any doubt in your mind that you want that sucker on your wrist, and want it bad. If you I had any smidgeon of doubt about anything - its design, aesthetic, wearability, value, etc - then I would pass.

Like I needed confirmation on the 512 but I tried it on again today and absolutely love it.

Annoyingly they mentioned I could put any (or none) amount down with interest free installments for up to 30 months. I have about 40% saved so it was tempting but they don't move at all on price so probably not worth it as it looks like it can be had for thousands cheaper on grey or used markets once I have the full funds. But like I said... tempting.

Also tried on the 000 which looks awesome on others but not sure if it's too thick for my 7" wrist. I think this watch looks incredible with a rough leather strap, jeans and boots and showing signs of wear. So I may consider picking one up in used and worn condition (e.g. scratches, minor dings etc) if I can find it for a decent price. I wouldn't be picky b/w 000, 005, 111 or 112 which I assume are the cheapest on the used market.

Thanks for sharing your thought process, and this journey @tricky ! Let us know if you end up pulling the trigger!

I've been playing around with photography again over the last week or so and rediscovering my love for "dancing with the light." Watches make great subjects...

Novelty77

Reaction score

Wow! That 512 is indeed a beauty! I just got rid of the pams in my collection but seeing it on your wrist, the 512 automatically appeared on my must have!

Went to try on the BB blue today and I must say the strap really looks cheap and the lightness of the strap doesn't help either
But the bracelet thou, whole other story. Love the weight, definitely heavier than the rolex gmts.

Another beauty I saw, sorry for the quality.

Blue dial seamaster . The dial just sucks me in love it but won't wear it.:satisfied:

Last edited:

tigerpac

Reaction score
Any thoughts on Blancpain watches and their movements? I know the brand initially started off as a mid-end purveyor of tool watches, but under Biver and SMH has steadily moved upwards.

Curious to learn other member's opinions? I believe their movements are all from the old F. Piguet workshops, implying they're of high quality.

Some great watches held back a bit by the 'Swatch bump' or not having Patek on the dial. F. Piguet is now Manufacture Blancpain, they've shared a location for years even more the integration. Resale isn't great as was mentioned so pre-owned is a good option. Either way, you can get quite a few complications cheaper than a lot of the other high-end manufactures so if you like the look take a good hard look.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you not feel much more enamored of the 5960/1A when you put it on your wrist, versus seeing it in pictures?  If not, then it really might not be something for you.  

At that price point, and given the annual calendar complication, I've always felt like I could get a far better value with discontinued perpetual calendars in the secondary/preowned market - but that's just me.  And a perpetual calendar in steel, on a bracelet, is going to be hard to find.

Anyway, at that price point I feel like the allure of any watch needs to be screaming at you with full force, with you perhaps denying yourself but really you're bursting with desire inside.  There can't be any doubt in your mind that you want that sucker on your wrist, and want it bad.  If you I had any smidgeon of doubt about anything - its design, aesthetic, wearability, value, etc - then I would pass.

Actually you do have a point, when i saw in in pics i was like this is "interesting" but i don't know if i like it. When i put it on in the store it was a lot better in person but I'm just not feeling the love if you get what I'm saying. Regarding your point about perpetuals, i absolutely agree those discontinued ones have no where to go but up when it comes to value but again not really feeling them if you catch my drift. The only one i really like would be the 5270 perpetual chrono or the 5970, the 3970 is too small i feel but that might just be me. Anyway for those perpetual chronos at this point in my life its really fat chance in hell of being able to afford one of those hahah so ill stick with an annual chrono as my grail

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow! That 512 is indeed a beauty! I just got rid of the pams in my collection but seeing it on your wrist, the 512 automatically appeared on my must have!

Went to try on the BB blue today and I must say the strap really looks cheap and the lightness of the strap doesn't help either
But the bracelet thou, whole other story. Love the weight, definitely heavier than the rolex gmts.

I always used to hate the tudor brand but i have to say their current offerings the ranger, north flag, heritage chrono blue etc are very appealing to me, i might have a schoolboy crush on the ranger =O. I think the BB was just released with a new in house movement btw or it might have been pelagos, i get confused with their lineup.

Novelty77

Reaction score
Goodbye my friends :(

Hello there sexy!

Can anyone identify my kop?
rotflmao.gif

Beer chug from me if u guessed correctly!
cheers.gif

Bro fist if u tried
fistbump.gif

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually you do have a point, when i saw in in pics i was like this is "interesting" but i don't know if i like it. When i put it on in the store it was a lot better in person but I'm just not feeling the love if you get what I'm saying. Regarding your point about perpetuals, i absolutely agree those discontinued ones have no where to go but up when it comes to value but again not really feeling them if you catch my drift. The only one i really like would be the 5270 perpetual chrono or the 5970, the 3970 is too small i feel but that might just be me. Anyway for those perpetual chronos at this point in my life its really fat chance in hell of being able to afford one of those hahah so ill stick with an annual chrono as my grail

I hated the Nautilus - the whole idea of a "luxury sports watch in steel" was once abhorrent to me; and what was up with those ears?

When I put the 5711 on my wrist, it was over. My AD shipped it to me within the next hour (to avoid in-state taxes, but man, what torture to wait the next day). Rented a ZipCar by the hour to pick it up from across the river once I confirmed shipment arrival. Put it on my wrist and have been taking it everywhere with me for years now.

If putting the watch on your wrist doesn't inspire this kind of massive turnaround / "paradigm shift" (to use management-speak), I'm not convinced you should get it. Why spend that much if you have a speck of doubt?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I hated the Nautilus - the whole idea of a "luxury sports watch in steel" was once abhorrent to me; and what was up with those ears?

When I put the 5711 on my wrist, it was over.  My AD shipped it to me within the next hour (to avoid in-state taxes, but man, what torture to wait the next day).  Rented a ZipCar by the hour to pick it up from across the river once I confirmed shipment arrival.  Put it on my wrist and have been taking it everywhere with me for years now.

If putting the watch on your wrist doesn't inspire this kind of massive turnaround / "paradigm shift" (to use management-speak), I'm not convinced you should get it.  Why spend that much if you have a speck of doubt?

This is a great post. Simple, short and conveys perfectly the experience of finding the right "thing".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads