• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Another fan of the Dark Side ... and also a Zenith fan here....Congrats!

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not my ideal dresswatch but I think it's still makes it IMO. Dresswatch covers a broad spectrum of definition doesn't it?
Less is more on the dressiness scale and that Zenith, while attractive, has too much stuff going on. Sure it's a better choice than a dive watch but it still comes up short. If you were shopping at a place like Watches of Switzerland for a watch to wear with Black Tie we both know that you wouldn't choose the Zenith. No?

Borrow something from wus.

I know that a pocketwatch is also up in your list
1f609.png
I think that there are distinct and separate categories for timekeepers. A wristwatch fetish need not include pocket watches, clocks, sundials, etc......;)

And the few pocket watches I have were bequeathed; I've never actually purchased one and probably never will, though I do appreciate them nonetheless.

Last edited:

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wooo new talking watches is out! Will have to wait until this evening to watch it unfortunately.

pmeis

Reaction score
Wooo new talking watches is out! Will have to wait until this evening to watch it unfortunately.

The watches are neat and a nice change up from the normal stuff, but the actual conversation isn't as interesting as one would hope. Still, always a decent watch.

Novelty77

Reaction score
Less is more on the dressiness scale and that Zenith, while attractive, has too much stuff going on. Sure it's a better choice than a dive watch but it still comes up short. If you were shopping at a place like Watches of Switzerland for a watch to wear with Black Tie we both know that you wouldn't choose the Zenith. No?
Most definitely so if I were to own all of the watches in the store. Sadly that isn't the case, I've only got a selection from my collection :(

I think that there are distinct and separate categories for timekeepers. A wristwatch fetish need not include pocket watches, clocks, sundials, etc......
wink.gif

And the few pocket watches I have were bequeathed; I've never actually purchased one and probably never will, though I do appreciate them nonetheless.
My apologies there, I remb seeing u post something about some PP Graves pocket watch. I must have got your association with pocket watches there.
facepalm.gif

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Novelty77 way to make an entrance on this thread! Congrats on the new purchases!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Ah, each to his own. The whole dress watch thing is so fluid these days, I think that Zenith is on the formal side by modern standards. Of course, to a purist a modest case size and just the two hands are the definition of dressy. But to go back to the Lange fetishism of Novelty's original post, I think I could live with a second hand on a dress watch...

...or even a GMT function, doesn't always detract from the dressy nature:

Of course I agree that having a date window with a heavy border like that is the mark of a dress watch amateur, like this Phil guy:

I do keep my simple 35mm watch as a regular dress watch - even though it was considered sporty at birth, and came on a bracelet, and has a second hand. The vintage vibe and the size certainly keep it subtle, scruffy or not. But in the suit-accompanying role, I do rotate it with a 40mm sports chronograph watch that even has a date window. What am I thinking? I will just have to live with this infamy - and the irony that I don't think this particular chrono works casually.

The dial colour, the size, the strap and just who's wearing it can make a big difference. And variety is the spice of life, eh?

Last edited:

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sort of random PSA, but I have had a Journe Chronometre Bleu on order with a 50% deposit for quite some time from an AD and it's finally come in. However, in the midst of house buying, so don't think it's prudent watch koppage time. I got a really good deal so would be willing to facilitate someone else's purchase at my discounted price. Feel free to PM if you have any interest.

(Mimo, forgive me, as I not trying to infringe on your pernicious enabler title :)

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Magrette Vantage

Ah, another guy with terrible phone pics! I had to look this up and I really like it: I'm tempted by a bronze watch myself - Helson seem to be the kings, though I like the look of Archimede too, and a bronze pilot you don't see every day. The case shape on yours is great, though: like the Panerai Radiomir 1940, which by coincidence I was admiring earlier.

Maybe for that reason I'd have to pass on this one: just because I know that one day I'd really like one of these 1940 Rads (the 572 has my heart I think). But that's a fine looking watch.

P.S. The only limit on watches in this thread is whether they are at all interesting, and that's rather a personal judgement. The "PMW" thread is on a budget, this one's on a very broad theme, so don't be shy. Not everyone here is a rock'n'rolla - some of us are at the more aspirational end of our journey!

Cadu

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Would you gentlemen make the following trade?

Your Rolex Submariner Ceramic No-date (ref. 114060), plus IWC Ingenieur Titanium (ref. 3227-03), plus $500...

for an Audemars Piguet Dual Time (ref. 25730ST) from 2002, no service history, with box/papers.

This is the AP exactly:

http://www.dellaroccagioielli.it/en/catalogo/img/878_1247842014.jpg

Would you make the trade for the AP?

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I did sold the PAM 176 and bought it back
wink.gif
. I don't think it will be the case for the 424 thou, it was an impulse purchase and if I really miss the California dial, I'll probably go for the 249.

Agreed, I do own the SS Daytona and was expecting the GMT to be heavier given the thickness; looks hefty as well. It was abit of a disappointment for me, being SS.

Mimo my man! u're right on da money!

Zenith Class Elite Dual Time!
Since i'm missing a dress watch and a GMT, why not have both in one!
Sorry to bore you guys with the unboxing but the Zenith "gold" plaque was interesting
and I wanted to share with u guys.

If I were to nip pick, I kinda dislike the border of the date aperture extending into the guilloche part of the dial.

Its a lil pricely but the material they used and the finishing? worth it! I mean like down
to the details like the 18k WG indexes
, ceramic buckle? come on! Love the depth of the dial not flat
like the PAM 292 I previously own. Most brands that offer ceramic watches doesn't have ceramic buckle.
This is the true ceramic watch IMHO.
Congrats again on your new additions! They look great, and the size IMHO is more wearable than your old 47 mm. Wishing you many years of smiles with your new Omega and Zenith.

Just and FYI, a lot of big name brands use 18Kt WG indexes or surrounds for lum on the dials of their steel watches (for example companies such as Rolex, Cartier, AP, VC, PP, etc.)

Anyway, thanks for the wrist shots! Very interesting choices and I look forward to hearing some ownership impressions once you've had some more time with them.
cheers.gif

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you gentlemen make the following trade?

Your Rolex Submariner Ceramic No-date (ref. 114060), plus IWC Ingenieur Titanium (ref. 3227-03), plus $500...

for an Audemars Piguet Dual Time (ref. 25730ST) from 2002, no service history, with box/papers.

This is the AP exactly:

http://www.dellaroccagioielli.it/en/catalogo/img/878_1247842014.jpg

Would you make the trade for the AP?
Have you tried it on to see if you truly like this piece and the way it fits. Also, be aware that is an earlier version of the RO Dual Time, which is 36mm. If I were purchasing the RO Dual Time, I would go for the later revised 39 mm version. I prefer the more substantial case and bracelet of the revised 39mm, and I also prefer its clasp (I find it more comfortable).

Also, what do you plan to use it for. Just casual and with suits. Or is this to replace they Sub and IWC as a rugged sports watch. The RO is lovely and versatile, and probably the watch I find is easiest to wear for almost any occasion from casual to suits, however its not a hardcore sports watch. So if you need something for snorkeling or rugged contact sports a RO isn't the watch I'd choose. I did look at the dual time when choosing a RO, and for me the modern version is much more appealing than the previous 36 mm version.

Also, on a watch that old, particularly an AP, you need to look and make sure it has not been over polished. Sometimes people try to save money and have a local/independent guy polish up the case and bezel. However, they have numerous angles and beveled edges and it is best left to an expert. A RO is a watch I would only have serviced by AP. So I would tell you look at a new AP at a shop or boutique and then look closely at the bezel and beveled edges running along the case sides....those often get screwed up. Bezels can be replaced, but I understand the RO bezel is expensive.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics