• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a really great watch. But I don't really like having too many watches and I'd like to start saving towards the Journe I want and eventually a PP 5712R. So I'm consolidating my watch collection. Already sold off a Pam 312 and putting my vintage Baume and mercier up for auction.

I'm perfectly content with a rotation of ALS 1815 up/down, vintage longines 13zn chrono, and Tudor Pelagos. Add a fpj cb and I'll be content, for a while

Thanks - it's always interesting to hear the rationale. I agree you have a great rotation with or without it, and the prospect of a PP is a no brainer :)

tigerpac

Reaction score
Some pretty cool looking 'Only Watches' coming out for the charity auction. What are everybody's favorites?

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree the Tudor is awesome looking. The F.P. Journe is visually-striking, too!

Have anyone seen the OnlyWatch2015 Hublot though? Yuck. Then again, it's Hublot. What could we expect?

Last edited:

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arrived just in time for my birthday.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Thank you, it is NOS "safe queen" from 2006. I am very fortunate to be its first "real" owner.
Wow! Very nice. I have seen a couple NOS COSC dials around, but not a 2 liner. So good!

Winot

Reaction score

Right then.  Your budget.  New only.  Not "fussy".  Titanium sport watches on bracelets:

£5-10k new:

- PAM 352 (or 221)

- Hublot Classic-Fusion chrono (I know, I know, but if you don't hate the brand, it's not bad looking at all)

- Omega Speedmaster '57 (I guess a chrono is "fussy", but with two subdials in white, I think this and the Hublot look quite clean)

- Piaget Polo Forty-Five (left field, love it or hate it, but simple)

- JLC Master Compressor Diving (you might not want a dive bezel, but if you do, this one's nice and plain and purposeful, see the Alarm version too)

Or a bit cheaper (£2-5k new):

- Tudor Pelagos (if you can do the dive thing)

- Union Belisar Titan chrono (as you love ze Germans - me too)

- Tutima Einsatzuhr (completing the less-celebrated Glashuette set)

- Hublot Classic-Fusion Opalin Bracciale (super clean, if non-approved)

- IWC Ingenieur AMG

- Grand Seiko SBGA011 (if that's the way you ever want to go)

I have gradually been working my way through this list (and others' suggestions - thanks) and have still not found what I'm looking for. The one I liked most was the PAM 352 but it wears a bit large for my liking. I liked the look of the Omega but too thick and felt a bit 'plasticky'. Hated the Piaget, the Hublot was just OK.

So I have rethought and am looking at brushed steel bracelets rather than titanium. My shortlist; most not yet seen:

1. Rolex Explorer I ref. 1016 - love this - only downside is lack of water resistance. Might be a killer as I want this for swimming holidays (edit to add - and I have tried on the new Explorer I but don't like the shiny applied 3/6/9 numbers).

2. IWC Ingenieur Dual Time (http://www.ablogtowatch.com/iwc-ingenieur-dual-time-watch/) - need to see/try on to check it's not too big and shiny.

3. Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 150 M Omega Master Co-Axial - again need to see/try - 38.5 mm or 41.5mm?

Any other thoughts from the TWAT-massive? Are the bracelets on the IWC and Omega wholly brushed?

My problem is I am fussy - don't like dive bezels; can't be too big; don't like shiny bracelets; must have simple clean face.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads