• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've not posted in this thread before but I wanted to share with folks who might understand...I was in Carmel yesterday and saw this lovely mint-as-far-as-I-can-tell ref. 16750 from around 1984. It followed me home quite unexpectedly. I was not looking to buy a watch, but I've been looking for a Pepsi GMT for some time and this one was too nice to walk away from. I couldn't be more pleased with a watch. My only other Rolex is a 1957 Oyster Precision. Somehow, I seem to have become a vintage Rolex collector!
Stunning! I hope to find an unpolished in great condition one day. Birth year preferably. Congratulations!!!!

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've not posted in this thread before but I wanted to share with folks who might understand...I was in Carmel yesterday and saw this lovely mint-as-far-as-I-can-tell ref. 16750 from around 1984. It followed me home quite unexpectedly. I was not looking to buy a watch, but I've been looking for a Pepsi GMT for some time and this one was too nice to walk away from. I couldn't be more pleased with a watch. My only other Rolex is a 1957 Oyster Precision. Somehow, I seem to have become a vintage Rolex collector!
That looks phenomenal. Congratulations and wear that lovely thing in good health!

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks phenomenal. Congratulations and wear that lovely thing in good health!

Thank you! I really am like a kid with a new toy. I've never had this reaction to a new watch before, even my Speedy, which I love. I almost slept with it on my wrist last night. It's a little embarrassing to be quite so euphoric over an object. It called my name loud and clear, no question.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stunning! I hope to find an unpolished in great condition one day. Birth year preferably. Congratulations!!!!

Thank you. My Oyster Precision is a birth year watch. Another serendipitous find!

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you! I really am like a kid with a new toy. I've never had this reaction to a new watch before, even my Speedy, which I love. I almost slept with it on my wrist last night. It's a little embarrassing to be quite so euphoric over an object. It called my name loud and clear, no question.

I think some of us been there ;). That's how I feel about my new toy heheh. Never happened with Daytona or SubC but it was close!

Huge congrats, looks amazing.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would that we felt like this about all our watches and toys, for as long a period of time as possible!

And yes, I do sleep with my watches sometimes. My wife sleeps with hers on most of the time. Why not?

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My newest watch, a 16570 :) Wristshot: In a little tree: On a little horse:
Nice work Swede. So did you end up finding someone to trade you for your IWC?
16750! Classic! Glad to see someone shaking up BLNR fever with an O.G. Well done sir.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I had my jeweler back home in the states fedex me my GMT II at the UK flat after the service was done.

UK Customs appears to be holding it for a £1000 ransom.

I'm really rather speechless. Advice would be appreciated.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I had my jeweler back home in the states fedex me my GMT II at the UK flat after the service was done.

Sorry to hear about the situation, @BostonHedonist . Wouldn't the quickest way of settling this be to show proof you've already owned the watch and had just left it in the US for service?

I'm going to tag @Dino944 on this note, because he among several others have discussed these risks and travails of importing/shipping Rolex watches across borders, particularly Europe and the US. I don't even remember how many times that topic has come up here in TWAT. Here's hoping @Dino944 and others have useful suggestions to relay.

Let us know how it's resolved...

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Bummer. Surely persuading them to read the service receipt might help? My only advice is to stay polite and patient.

On another point, what happened to that guy with the f*** ROO?

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Push come to shove, I'm pretty sure I could just have it sent back and pick it up when I come back for the month of August.

But the thought of my baby being manhandle by those brutes at customs...

The jeweler ought to have warned me of this, or at least taken precautions to avoid it. >sigh< oh bother.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My newest watch, a 16570 :)

Wristshot:

Congrats on your 16570! Looks great! I've had the same watch for about 14 years and I'm a big fan of them. Enjoy it in good health!
cheers.gif

That's a beauty! Its always nice when you unexpectedly find the right watch and it goes home with you. Enjoy it!
cheers.gif

Sorry to hear about the situation, @BostonHedonist . Wouldn't the quickest way of settling this be to show proof you've already owned the watch and had just left it in the US for service?
I agree. I would definitely contact customs inform them its not a new purchase and present them with proof of ownership such as purchase paperwork, service papers etc.

Have you spoken with anyone at customs as to why they are seeking a payment on this watch. I presume they think you just bought it and had it imported. If so I would tell them you purchased the watch while living in the US, and it was being serviced there. That you are not a UK citizen and it was your possession prior to moving to the UK, and offer to present them with ownership documents showing when it was purchased and the service papers showing where you lived prior to moving.

I'm more familiar with issues arising when people try to ship/import a Rolex into the US...I've never discussed importing/shipping Rolex watches to the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads